Farewell to a friend

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
ex-khobar Andy

Re: Farewell to a friend

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I do The Atlantic Sunday crossword. Today, 61D 2019 World Series ring-wearer, to fans. The answer, of course, is NAT. I usually am dimly aware that the WS is happening in October or so but I could not tell you who the winner was a year or even a month later. Except for last year. Thanks LJ.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Gob just sent me an email about the passing of LordJim and I am very very sad to hear of his passing.
He was a total "stand up guy". Whether you agreed or disagreed with him, he was always respectful and actually listened to your point of view. And he would point out where you were wrong, but always respectfully.
He could search this board and the net to bring facts to his argument. Rare quality in this day and age.
I never met him in person but did have some offline emails with him.
I feel better for having known him and at the same time feel worse knowing he has passed.
I first met LordJim at the first rendition of the CyberSoapBox. Can't remember how long ago that was.

I have come to believe, "We are Spiritual Beings on a human journey". While his human part has passed, his Spirit lives on.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
I hope his daughters and wife know how appreciated, respected and loved he was and how he returned those qualities to those he interacted with.
God speed LordJim and thank you for being you.
All my respects
old_n_wsr

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

It has been a year since Lord Jim passed away, and I still miss seeing his posts here. He was in his element in this format. (No doubt his absence is felt even more so by those who were part of his daily life). Yet, even with the loss of Jim and Ray and the reduced posting by a few others, we seem to be doing well and engaging in a mostly positive way as the number of posts have declined with the absence of our friends. I have good memories of each of them.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'll have to wait a bit longer (I hope) to find out the truth behind LJ's inexplicable denial of the genius of Leonard Cohen. Or it may be a very long argument. We miss many old friends but LJ and his sanity most of all (except for the Cohen thing)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I never argue with an administer. In this case I am in full agreement.

It is of great value to me to read through this thread and see the reflections of friends, clearly good, if flawed, people. I miss them all.

I will never miss. Oops. personal comment. Sorry. (but not really)

snailgate.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I miss Jim, he gave republicanism a humane side.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I just went back and read a bunch of LJ's posts and some PMs I saved.

"Long ago . . . it must be . . .
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you"

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:56 pm
I just went back and read a bunch of LJ's posts and some PMs I saved.

"Long ago . . . it must be . . .
I have a photograph
Preserve your memories
They're all that's left you"
Thanks, Joe.  It's been a little more than six months ago that another good friend of mine checked out, and I occasionally need to be reminded that while it's OK to lament the loss, one still needs to remember the good times.

Another good one is, "Life is just a collection of memories, and memories are like starlight.  They both go on forever."
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?