A request to the membership.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
loCAtek

Re: A request to the membership.

Post by loCAtek »

Seconded! Thirded!

Venting is what we do best! :twisted:

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Secret forums look and feel bad and exclusionary and actually make the place look more inhospitable and sets up a "tiered" membership.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Fair point. Some board software allows for forums to be completely hidden from all except those with access. I don't know about this one... just throwing it out there... ;)
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Rick

Post by Rick »

I guess this is as close to a board suggestion as we get sooo.

Is there anyway to get links to open in a new tab/window.

I keep forgetting they don't and shut down every time I exit them...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Gob

Post by Gob »

I believe RB is working on that one Keld.

In the meantime, "right click" on links; choose "open in new Tab/window".
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Rick

Post by Rick »

Gob wrote:I believe RB is working on that one Keld.

In the meantime, "right click" on links; choose "open in new Tab/window".
Duh...OoooK...
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

The links thing requires me to make a couple of code edits, relatively straight forward however I'm going to hold off doing it until we have the 2nd skin chosen & installed as both skins will require editing and I might as well do them both at the same time :ok
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sounds fair to me.

However, (he asked nicely) there may be more than one skin requested, so would you be ok doing more than two (smiles sweetly).
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

Thats gonna have to be a decision all admins agree to Gob since like I said each skin has to be edited separately every single time we add a new feature or the software gets a security upgrade etc. My only slight reservation over multiple skins is that we'll have to be really really dedicated about making sure that back ups of any/all files edited are made before anyone does anything, so that if things go titsup we can at least restore back to where we were before anything was done. TBH once you've made your first major cock up you'll never again forget to back up the file you are working on -I know from experience :lol:.

Theres one other minor reservation in that some skins play nicer with some mods than others and not all skinners update their skins every time theres a forum upgrade. But I can check the status of the skins before we install them and if needs be explain why they can't be used if they look at all dodgy.

Like I said minor reservations but ones that need to be considered.
If you can keep your head while those around you are losing theirs, you may have misjudged the situation.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Thanks for that,I'll start a poll sometimes soon.

How about we say a max of three skins (two new ones plus the bog standard one.)

Would that be ok do you think?

The membership should know we are relying heavily on your good will at the moment.

Rick

Post by Rick »

RB

Is there a way to review (say when several are chosen) which ones would be the easiest to work around before the final vote?

Just askin...

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

Yeahhhhheeesssssssssss lol I'd need to nip over to phpbb.com and look through the help sections and see if any of the chosen skins are causing problems for other forums and then look at the sort of problems they are having sometimes it's not the skins fault it's the people installing them not doing it right - so if a skin appears on my radar repeatedly for lots of different things then I'll probably advise we leave it well alone.

Once we have a shortlist of skins I can take a looksee.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I'm fine with the Idea of two myself. If I don't like the new one It's no big deal to stick with this one for me at least. But I guess we can see how the polling goes.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Gob of No Idea on Board Maintenance wrote:The membership should know we are relying heavily on your good will at the moment.
VERY heavily!
Last edited by The Hen on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bah!

Reality Bytes

Post by Reality Bytes »

Gob wrote:Thanks for that,I'll start a poll sometimes soon.

The membership should know we are relying heavily on your good will at the moment.
Thanks - membership should also know that this isn't the long term game plan *laughs* eventually all 4 admins will be doing stuff not just me I already have a pretty much full time admin gig elsewhere so I have absolutely no intention of making myself indispensable any time soon lol

Gob

Post by Gob »

That's fair, but your efforts on our behalf should not be unnoticed.

Hopefully, and I do not want to tread on her toes, now that Daisy is on board, we may be able to ask her for expert input.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

♪♫Daisy, Daisy Give me your answer do♪♫

Gob

Post by Gob »

♪♫There is a flower
Within my heart,
Daisy, Daisy!
Planted one day
By a glancing dart,
Planted by Daisy Bell!
Whether she loves me
Or loves me not,
Sometimes it's hard to tell;
Yet I am longing to share the lot -
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle made for two.

We will go 'tandem'
As man and wife,
Daisy, Daisy!
'Peddling' away
Down the road of life,
I and my Daisy Bell!
When the road's dark
We can both despise
P'licemen and 'lamps' as well;
There are 'bright lights’
In the dazzling eyes
Of beautiful Daisy Bell!

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you'll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle made for two.

I will stand by you
In 'weal' or woe,
Daisy, Daisy!
You'll be the bell(e)
Which I'll ring you know!
Sweet little Daisy Bell!
You'll take the 'lead'
In each 'trip' we take,
Then if I don't do well,
I will permit you to
Use the brake,
My beautiful Daisy Bell! ♪♫
:ok

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I'm happy in my own skin, I don't need any more.

And I would like to log a complaint. It took me almost 3 seconds to register, can we fix that? It might not be fast enough for some people and they may not join because of it. :lol:

Miles

Post by Miles »

Oldr, glad to see you here, a hale and hearty welcome. :D
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.