So it seems to be lung cancer....

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Scooter

So it seems to be lung cancer....

Post by Scooter »

...at least that's how we're going to proceed until they cut it out and analyze it.

When I told my doctor that I was concerned about having three respiratory infections needing antibiotics in 18 months, after more than a decade without any (previous to that I was getting pneumonia or bronchitis 3 or 4 times a year), he sent me for a lung CT in mid-October (He tends to diagnose by eliminating the most serious alternatives first; when I was feeling dizzy he he did a head CT to rule out a tumour or something of that gravity

That's how i thought it would turn out this time. Until my doctor called me in to see him two days later,

The radiologist found a VERY small(8 x 6 x 5mm) nodule in my lower lung, that he said was more suggestive of cancer than any benign alternatives. Unfortunately position and size rule out a needle biopsy, could either do another CT in a few months and see if it grows, or guide a wire to it so a surgeon knows where to slice it out a wedge of my lung,

So that's what I'm doing, mid-December. If it's benign, I will be happy to have found out. If it is localized to the top layer of cells, that's all I'll need to do. If it has invaded deeper layers, I will have to go back in January to remove a larger piece. HIV increases the risk of non-AIDS defining cancers, so absent any other risk factor, it looks like the virus may yet get the last laugh.

And "you're lucky to have found it so early! is wearing really thin, especially when the American Cancer Society says 5 year survival for a stage 1 is 50-50

Meanwhile my sister has become a recent and fervent advocate of medicinal cannabis which she keeps pushing me to learn about
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Re: So it seems to be lung cancer....

Post by Long Run »

I'm sorry to hear this. Best wishes in regaining your good health.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine what you're going through right now. In the meantime, I wish you the best and expect good news in December.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m so sorry to hear this Scooter. I hope you won’t be made uncomfortable by me saying that I’ve grown very fond of you over the years of posting with you and I will certainly be working all the spiritual avenues I have to send healing energy your way. I’ve lost a few family members to lung cancer over the years and know a lot about the disease, so I understand your apprehension - but please remember the odds also include much more favorable numbers and nothing says that you couldn’t be one of those numbers!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Hay mate, chin up, hope for the best.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

liberty

Post by liberty »

I am sorry about that; I hope you beat it. My brother and best friend both died of cancer.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Very sorry to hear this Scooter...

Fingers crossed for a good test result.
ImageImageImage

RayThom

So it seems to be lung cancer...

Post by RayThom »

Scoot, I am saddened to read about your 'pre-diagnosis.' Is it in one lung or both? As you probably know, people can live fairly normal lives with only one lung, if it comes to that, so stay as optimistic as possible. There's always a plan.

You seem to be aware of prognosis, outcome, and sequelae. If the node is determined to be malignant, I hope, initially, you'll follow through with all the best treatments offered. At a later date, reevaluate your situation and do what you think is best.

To my way of thinking, working with, and not fighting, a pernicious disease is the best way to manage it. Fighting will sap your strength and resolve, whereas you can pace yourself if you work with it. Obviously, you have faced adversity in the past so I feel you're equipped mentally and physically to handle this, too.

Stay strong. I wish you well. Peace.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Good luck
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Scooter. I am sorry to read this thread. Read BS and Ray carefully. I see no bullshit anywhere in this thread. This is not fun. Thereby demonstrating the Plan B Forum is more than 'have fun, relax, ARGUE!"

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I wish you nothing but wellness, Scooter. May it be both benign and harmless.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:I wish you nothing but wellness, Scooter. May it be both benign and harmless.
This.

To which I will add - if there is anyone who can beat this, its you. Be well.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I don't know what to say or how to say it. All I can do is wish and hope for the best possible outcome. If I could pray, I would, but I can't, so hope will have to do.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Scooter. Well - thoughts, anyway. Go Leafs! (Except of course when they are playing my Buffalo Sabres but based on the season so far you guys don't have much to worry about from them. There's always next year.)

dales

Post by dales »

Scooter:

You can beat this!

I know you can.

Best Regards:

dale

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

dales wrote:Scooter:
You can beat this!
I know you can...
Abstraction vs. reality. Sadly, cancer "wins" almost every single time.

Good management -- maybe gene therapy if you qualify -- will get you much further than trying to beat it with conventional therapy. Less prayer... more doing.

From previous experience you know what it takes to keep going, so keep doing that.

Resolve and resilience will serve you well. Live long and prosper.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Just saw this thread and wanted to express my sympathy and support for you, Scooter. Of course I'm wishing the best of outcomes for you, but you already know how to take a disease in stride. Be well.
GAH!

dales

Post by dales »

BULLSPIT!

My father beat cancer when he was in his 60's.

But don't let me be the one who shakes your pessimistic world view. :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

dales wrote:
BULLSPIT!
My father beat cancer when he was in his 60's.
But don't let me be the one who shakes your pessimistic world view. :lol:
OK... if you say so.

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/surviv ... -away.html

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Do I need mention that he hasn’t even got a cancer diagnosis yet Mr Sunshine?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.