So it seems to be lung cancer....

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Joe Guy

Re: So it seems to be lung cancer....

Post by Joe Guy »

Great news, Scooter! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Scooter wrote:Oh, did I forget to mention that, once again, I got all this done and it didn't cost me a dime.
Those doctors up there work cheap. Do they go to college?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Great news, Scooter.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Joe Guy wrote:Those doctors up there work cheap. Do they go to college?
According to Rand Paul they are all slaves who have Big Brother dictating every detail of how they practice medicine.

Whereas in actuality:

(1) My primary care doctor ordered the CT that discovered this nodule just because that's what he felt like doing. There were no symptoms or potential diagnoses he could point to that supported getting a CT. I don't believe there would be many U.S. insurers who would have approved paying for a CT on that basis.

(2) Because needle biopsy was not an option, the respirologist I was referred to suggested waiting six months to do a repeat CT to see if there was any growth. I was sent for a surgical consultation because I wanted to explore that option. Again, I wonder if a U.S. insurer would have paid for a consultation that the referring physician did not view as medically necessary.

(3) The surgeon said that a wait and see approach and surgery to remove and analyze the nodule were both justifiable options, in particular because it was likely that PET scan would be inconclusive. He scheduled surgery based on nothing but my personal preference not to wait. Would a U.S. insurer have approved surgery with no cancer diagnosis based on the patient's choice to proceed? I doubt it.

(4) A wedge resection completed with exceedingly clean margins, there was no reason to think that any cancer remained. The surgeon recommended a lobectomy solely based on longer term considerations of a lower risk of recurrence. Would a U.S. insurer have approved a second surgery solely for its prophylactic value, the cancer having been successfully treated? Again, exceedingly doubtful.

(5) On both occasions, the surgeon considered me medically ready for discharge after removing the chest tube. However, in both cases he had no problem approving one or two extra days in hospital if I felt I needed extra time before I would be able to look after myself and manage my pain. Would a U.S. insurer have approved the additional stay? Never.

So throughout this process, the care I received was decided by the responsible physician's discretion, in turn depending largely on my own preference. A U.S. physician would have had insurance bureaucrats sniffing up his/her very asshole demanding justification for the treatment I received. So remind me again, which system has more in common with a Big Brother scenario, ours or yours?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

In ‘Merica we HATE big government brother up our asses - but we’re just fine with big corporate brother all up in our asses and our internet search histories and our gps location data and deciding whether we deserve medical choices at all or which choices we are allowed to have access to, blah blah blah because government is evil but corporations have our best interests at heart!

:loon
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Why do you hate free enterprise and the American Way, BSG?

Oh, and great news, Scooter. Be well.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Sue U wrote:Why do you hate free enterprise and the American Way
Because outside of the bedroom, I don't like getting fucked up the ass.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

The power of positive thinking will have a far better return than many of the newer cancer treatments. However, don't refuse any suggested treatments that have a sound basis, and proven efficacy. You may want to explore gene therapy as an option. Ask... don't wait to be told. Make sure you have a good grasp and understanding of the molecular biology of your lung cancer. Know what's going on and you'll avoid the stresses that cause fatigue.

Remember, it's good management, not good luck, that works best. Peace.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Future treatments will depend on there being a recurrence, and I am not prepared to concede to that eventuality quite yet. I do want to explore, absent any of the traditional risk factors for lung cancer, if there is anything other than the HIV infection (or something working in concert with it) that may be predisposing me to get it. The tumour itself tells me nothing, it was an unremarkable acinar predominant adenocarcinoma, the most common form of lung cancer. Recommendations I have read/heard for lowering the risk of recurrence do not go beyond the redundant (avoiding risk factors that have never applied to me in the first place) and motherhood (exercise and healthy diet).

My sister is convinced that there is a particular formulation of cannabis oil that can cure (and by extension would also prevent recurrence of) lung cancer, based on watching a series of videos about medicinal cannabis. I have no problem looking into it, but the available scientific evidence is so spotty that I don't know that I would have any reason to think it was doing any good. I do have some friends I can check with that would know what direction to point me for more info.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Really glad to see this Scooter, hope the prognosis continues to be positive :ok
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Glad to hear the good news, stay well!

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Scooter wrote:Provisional pathology report was negative for any indication of cancer in the removed tissues. Have a follow up with the surgeon on the 20th and then we'll see what I'll have to do in terms of ongoing monitoring. But for now, cancer free.
RayThom, did you read that part above? I know gloom and doom are your favorite subjects. Have you noticed your avatar?

Sounds like great news to me Scooter.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

MGMcAnick wrote:... RayThom, did you read that part above? I know gloom and doom are your favorite subjects...
Hey, that is indeed good news. My mom was also diagnosed cancer free... six times -- after each chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, or surgery, or a combination of these -- between 1964 and 2006. Thank God for cancer research -- it kept her going until she was 89.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nice to get some good news, be well Scooter.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter--great news; and check into the cannabis oil a bit more; my brother in law is hiv positive and has been fighting melanoma for a number of years, mostly on his arms and face. Recently (about 2 years ago) he had an outbreak on his face and his physician recommended surgery that would have left him disfigure; instead he treated it by the topical application of cannabis oil and he appears to be cancer free at this point (for at least a year). I'm not endorsing the treatment methodology, but it is worth looking into as I looked at it when he began and found a lot of testimonials saying how it worked for melanoma--I wouldn't be surprised if it could have a positive effect on lung cancer as well (and even if it didn't, you migh5 still feel better).

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Glad you are doing well scooter. Wishing you the best.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Got the all clear from my surgeon today - pathology report show no other traces of cancer in the tissue that was removed. X-ray showed some fluid in the chest cavity that he wasn't particularly concerned about; if it's still there in a month he'll do a needle aspiration. Three month checkups for two years, then every six months for three more years, then every year. 90+% chance that there won't be a recurrence.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

So it seems to be lung cancer...

Post by RayThom »

Scooter wrote:Got the all clear from my surgeon today - pathology report show no other traces of cancer in the tissue that was removed. X-ray showed some fluid in the chest cavity that he wasn't particularly concerned about; if it's still there in a month he'll do a needle aspiration. Three month checkups for two years, then every six months for three more years, then every year. 90+% chance that there won't be a recurrence.
That sounds like the proper follow up. That's really good news. The power of positive thinking will be you best medicine, and best management. Stay current as to what new treatments become available. There's something new almost every week.

All the best to you.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Good for you scooter.
:ok
Years ago my pcp didn't like my psa results. Sent me to a urologist who did a biopsi which was negative but went every three months for a while now it's every 6 months. Better to be checked over and over than to have it occur and grow undetected.

wesw

Post by wesw »

first I ve seen of this.

I would have offered some encouragement.

anyway....

I got pretty good care in my little hog holler after my pneumonectomy..... (sp), back in 2010. (Dr Wehberg, wehburg?, is a saint)

he did the surgery with an Aesop Machine. robotic, donated by the Janosik family to PRMC.

dr steven wehberg only billed the insurance co 5000 grand , and change, amazing man.

cost me about 5000 grand, out of pocket, all said and done.

I thought I had a 1500 dollar deductible, but I didn t feel like argueing with the insurance company at the time.... (or ever...)

hope all goes well...

even miserable bastards like us get a break sometimes, scooter ...., thank god.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

wesw wrote:.... I got pretty good care in my little hog holler after my pneumonectomy...
Interesting. Reduction or removal?

I hope you stopped smoking after you recovered.