Paid

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Jarlaxle

Re: Paid

Post by Jarlaxle »

MGMcAnick wrote:Since I can no longer log on from home, due to not knowing my password and inadvertently logging off, I don't get to hang around here much. Still in all, it is my favorite BBS, and I will be happy to contribute to it's longevity. Please PM the info for a paypal payment.

(Note, I may not see it until Monday, when I'm back here at work, and have time to log on.)
Log on at work and reset your password?

Gob: Is there any way to donate that is NOT PayPal?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Jarlaxle wrote: Log on at work and reset your password?

Good thought, but I'd still have to put in my current password to be able to change to another one. Incorrectly inputting my current password might mess me up on this computer from here.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Daisy should be able to help you reset your password. Send her or Gob a PM from work and explain your dilemma.

On second thought, I'll send her one for you now. I don't know how long it will take before it's read but here goes....

Gob

Post by Gob »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Gob: Is there any way to donate that is NOT PayPal?
Not really I'm afraid,
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote: Log on at work and reset your password?

Good thought, but I'd still have to put in my current password to be able to change to another one. Incorrectly inputting my current password might mess me up on this computer from here.
Is there a "lost password" link?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Right on the login screen. Presumably would need to remember what email address was used to sign up.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

OK, here I go again. I have a new computer for work. I'm on my old computer now. It has saved my password for at least a couple of years. As long as I don't click on logout, I'm OK. I do not know what my current password is. I thought I had it written down, but apparently not anywhere I can find. Without the old password, I can't login on my new computer. Part of the issue is that I suspect the email I used when I signed up went away with the demise of my old ISP. I suspect that is why my PM to Daisy went unanswered a few weeks ago. I'm going to PM a link to this post to Daisy and Gob, in the hope that one of them can help me.

RayThom

Paid

Post by RayThom »

MGMcA, once you're back in action -- if that ever happens -- I will assume you have quite a few letters and messages stored in your "Document" file... or some other obscure file.

Whenever you save a new URL that you'll be frequenting and creating a password for it, copy and paste that info to a Word Pad page -- name it whatever you like -- and build an alphabetical listing of that info to be referenced as needed. These personal pages are rarely hacked from an outside source, so this info will be safe, even if someone, somehow, takes physical control of your devices.

I've been building on, and editing, my specialty list since the early '90s -- swapped and copied -- from one computer or storage drive, to the next. My filing system has never been breached. Only my daughter knows how to find it.

A few seconds of caution saves a whole lot of worry and frustration later.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

MGMcAnick wrote:OK, here I go again. I have a new computer for work. I'm on my old computer now. It has saved my password for at least a couple of years. As long as I don't click on logout, I'm OK. I do not know what my current password is. I thought I had it written down, but apparently not anywhere I can find. Without the old password, I can't login on my new computer. Part of the issue is that I suspect the email I used when I signed up went away with the demise of my old ISP. I suspect that is why my PM to Daisy went unanswered a few weeks ago. I'm going to PM a link to this post to Daisy and Gob, in the hope that one of them can help me.
I can change your password and send you a new one if you like?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Gob, I will send you a PM with my correct/current email address. I think the one the board has listed is no good anymore. Will a new password from you delete my current unknown one, and then I can re-change it to one I think I'll remember?

Gob

Post by Gob »

I can do that, or you can enter the password I give you, log into your account and change it to something more memorable to you

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I'm baaaaack! Thanks for the re-password Gob.

RayThom

PAID

Post by RayThom »

MGMcAnick wrote:I'm baaaaack! Thanks for the re-password Gob.
YAY!

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”