My wife and I will be visiting the UK next month

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: My wife and I will be visiting the UK next month

Post by Econoline »

Leaving in a few hours. Will check in on Plan B occasionally, but any posts from me during the next 3 weeks will be via my tablet, so they'll be short, and won't include any links or images.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Three weeks (or more) is the best way to explore the culture and customs of any vacation abroad. I'm sure a fine time is at hand.

Pip Pip, Cheerio, And All That Rot.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:Leaving in a few hours. Will check in on Plan B occasionally, but any posts from me during the next 3 weeks will be via my tablet, so they'll be short, and won't include any links or images.
I hope you’ll do a thread for us when you get back! Would love to share the experience vicariously.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

TESTING, TESTING.

This is a test of the Emergenary Photoposting System.

If it's working, you should be able to see a photo of me and my wife standing in front of some old rocks somewhere between Cornwall and London last October, and it also means I've (finally) figured out how to post photos online. (If this works, I may post some more of these, and I'll definitely post some photos from our upcoming road trip across Canada to Alaska and back over the next couple of months.)

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Econoline wrote:TESTING, TESTING.

This is a test of the Emergenary Photoposting System.

If it's working, you should be able to see a photo of me and my wife standing in front of some old rocks somewhere between Cornwall and London last October...
IIRC... they call it Stronghinge, or something like that. It was made by unemployed stone masons after a drunken trade union meeting back in the '30s. It tells the time, I'm told.

PS. Do you still have the beard?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It's working! I need to get back to Stonehenge - last time I was there was 25 (??) years ago and that path right up to the stones wasn't there. Nearest you could get, IIRC, was maybe 50 yards.

BTW I use Imgur. Seems to work pretty easily, it's free, and you can resize images and get BBS links very no problem.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Ray - I still have the beard; I've had it for ~40 years, though it wasn't always grey...

Andy - there's no path that goes anywhere nearer to the stones than the one on which my wife and I are standing in that shot...which is a wide, circular paved path which goes, as you correctly recall, no closer than around 50 yards (or 50 meters, whichever comes first). I used Canon Irista (you don't have to have a Canon to use it, but we do) to store the photos, but just lately got around to figuring out how to share them online. It wasn't hard, I'm just lazy.

Here, have another. Edinburgh Castle, at the top of the Royal Mile.

I guess I really ought to learn how to resize them next. (Check back with me in a few months. Or you could just right-click and choose "Open image in new tab.")
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

When are you doing that Al-Can trip? Please don’t stop for any teenaged boys!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Stonehenge factoid:
Stonehenge is usually closed off to the public, but the ancient site is opened on the summer solstice by English Heritage, which supervises the country’s historic sites. On June 21, the sun rises behind the Heel Stone, channeling sunlight into the center of the circle of stone monoliths."

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

A Northwest answer to rocks on end:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

BoSoxGal wrote:When are you doing that Al-Can trip? Please don’t stop for any teenaged boys!
Scratch that - seems you are now safe to pick up any hitchhikers needing a ride as it looks like the little bastards offed themselves.
CNN) — Authorities believe they have found the bodies of two Canadian men suspected of killing three people last month, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said Wednesday.

The bodies were found on the bank of the Nelson River after a weekslong manhunt focused in Manitoba, said Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy, commanding officer of the Manitoba RCMP.
That was about five miles from where their burned car was located last month.
"I'm confident that it is them," she said, adding that an autopsy will confirm the identities of the deceased.
MacLatchy said she could not say how long they have been dead.

Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, are suspected of killing North Carolina resident Chynna Deese, 24, and her Australian boyfriend, Lucas Fowler, 23.
The victims' bodies were discovered on July 15 on a remote highway in northern British Columbia.
The body of Vancouver university professor Leonard Dyck was discovered several days later on July 19, and authorities believe McLeod and Schmegelsky were responsible for Dyck's death, as well.

"Over the last two weeks, our officers have worked tirelessly to find the suspects wanted in connection to the homicides in British Columbia," MacLatchy told reporters. "While there were no confirmed sightings since July 22, we never gave up in our search efforts, following up on every lead, considering all options, and using every available resource.
Officials narrowed the search area after critical evidence was found Friday. The remains were found Wednesday morning.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Ah, thank you for finding that, BSG; I missed it too. (Not that we're going to go any further north in Manitoba than Winnipeg.)

Leaving on Sat. Aug. 17...our route will be roughly Minneapolis (old friends to visit there), Fargo, Winnipeg (where we'll pick up the Trans-Canada Hwy), Regina, Calgary, Banff, then north through the mountains to Jasper (where we'll get on the Yellowhead Hwy), west to Prince George, then most of the way to Prince Rupert, then north on the Cassiar Hwy (with a little detour to Stewart BC/Hyder AK) to Watson Lake, Yukon, where we'll finally get on the Alaska Hwy, and stay on that till we get to Fairbanks — around 2 weeks after starting out. Approx, 4 weeks wandering around Alaska, then 2 weeks travelling back to Illinois, possibly with a detour to Portland. I'll fill you in on the rest of the route later at some point, when we're on the road.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Now that's what I call a road trip. Have a great time, Econo.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

That road trip sounds like a National Geographic special.

AAA sez:
https://magazine.northeast.aaa.com/maga ... hese-tips/