Board Security?

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Burning Petard

Board Security?

Post by Burning Petard »

My Safari browser now gives me a notice that this site is not secure. So I this is why last post here, for at least a while. Snailgate

Joe Guy

Re: Board Security?

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm pretty sure that only means that the website is not encrypted, which really means nothing unless you share personal information like a credit card number.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

this site is not secure
I know that the site has had some self-esteem issues in the past, but I believe it worked those out in group, so I don't think it would be accurate any longer to call it insecure...
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Maybe just a bit oversensitive, then.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I have Safari, Chrome and Firefox and none them warn me. How come Safari warns SG? What does his Safari know that mine doesn't? Maybe my Safari knows but has decided not to tell me.

My Safari hates me. My Safari wants to kill me!

Mr Gates warned me and I didn't listen. Sob. This may be my last post. If I don't come back will someone please sue Apple on behalf of my family. You can have 10% of what you get. They are now worth a trillion dollars so they won't miss a bill or two. Thanks.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Safari has alway had issues with “security certificates”. And claiming they are out of date when they’re not.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My Safari is mum on this issue, too - same as my Chrome.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Chrome should say "not secure" at the far left of the address bar, just as a warning not to enter stuff like credit card numbers.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Hmm, my browser doesn't won't tell me, but instead asks me to make the decision:

Maybe I should upgrade.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

As often is my lot in life here at Plan B, I have to be the humorless voice of reason once again. For the second time in this thread, I must reassure Mr Snailgate Petard that the only time an "Insecure Connection" on your computer should be a concern is when you are revealing personal information, such as your SSN, PIN or actual penis size.

Relax. Nobody here will share any of that information with anyone else.

RayThom

Bored Security?

Post by RayThom »

Burning Petard wrote:My Safari browser now gives me a notice that this site is not secure. So I this is why last post here, for at least a while. Snailgate
sg/BP -- check this link out -- if, of course, you happen stop by to see it.

https://support.intego.com/hc/en-us/art ... Alert-Scam
I feel you may have skipped town before investigating the accuracy of the notice. You might want to dump your Safari browser and install Chrome or Firefox. Maybe that will make you feel a bit more secure.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Bored Security?

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:sg/BP -- check this link out -- if, of course, you happen stop by to see it.

https://support.intego.com/hc/en-us/art ... Alert-Scam
From Ray's link:

Removing the Alert From Your Web Browser:
If you see this message in your web browser, follow the instructions below to clear this threat:
1. Reset Your Browser
2. Force Quit and Restart Browser
3. Delete Safari Preferences Manually
4. What To Do If You Called the Phone Number
5. Protect Your Computer From Future Attacks
6. Contact Intego Support

Maybe I'm being overly cynical (or suspicious), but how do we know we can trust Intego support?   For all we know, they could be scammers or crooks themselves, pulling a modern version of the 'pigeon drop' con — that's the routine that 'Luther' (Robert Earl Jones) and 'Hooker' (Robert Redford) pulled on the numbers runner in the opening of "The Sting" — posing as a well-meaning 'friend' who then, having gained your confidence, gently steers you into their own spider's web.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just to be sure, can you PM me your credit card details, name, age, address, and your mother's maiden name, and I'll keep them secure for you.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”