It's Time for Our Annual General Meade Birthday Celebration

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
MajGenl.Meade

Re: It's Time for Our Annual General Meade Birthday Celebration

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Me too, snail
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gen Meade Bday.jpg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thank you!

Goes to show that you can't have your cake and you can't eat it. . .

:D
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:26 pm
Thank you!

Goes to show that you can't have your cake and you can't eat it. . .

:D
I found the picture of that cake on a website detailing a celebration of the actual General Meade’s birthday which as you know is December 31. I don’t know if they have an annual thing or if it was a landmark anniversary but yeah yay Google.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:59 pm
I found the picture of that cake on a website detailing a celebration of the actual General Meade’s birthday which as you know is December 31. I don’t know if they have an annual thing or if it was a landmark anniversary but yeah yay Google.
BSG, may have been from the General Meade Society in Philly to which I once belonged.

This year:
Annual General Meade Birthday Celebration
December 31, 2023
12:00 pm

Annual General Meade Birthday Celebration will mark the 208th annual anniversary of the birth of General George G. Meade, heroic commander of the victorious Union army at the Battle of Gettysburg. The General Meade Society of Philadelphia will celebrate his birthday at Historic Laurel Hill Cemetery, 3822 Ridge Ave. at noon. A champagne toast and reception will follow the program. For directions, call: 215-228-8200 Laurel Hill Cemetery.

Laurel Hill Cemetery
3822 Ridge Avenue
Philadelphia, PA
I tried to visit the Society one Christmas season, leaving Mrs. Meade at the hotel in Bethlehem (PA). Got a bit lost in downtown Phila. and found myself in an area of town patrolled by chaps with AK47s and other hardware - or they were just out shopping or going for a walk. Hard to tell. But they stared at me so long and hard as I circled blocks and drove slowly back and forth (pre GPS) that I found my way back to the main drag and hightailed it north back to Bethlehem.

I suspect they found me more suspicious than I them.

I left the Society because they did not find my Secret Letters of George Gordon Meade as amusing as did my fellow members of the Cleveland CW Round Table.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes it was that society in Philly! Small world. Here’s the link I found the photo at. Just now found another one that’s better so I’ll share that too.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/genera ... e_vignette

https://searching4meade.com/2018/01/01/erasing-history/
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:59 pm
Yes it was that society in Philly! Small world.
Yeah, small. I'm a CWTalk guy as well. Past and current. I think I'm only a corporal there. Don't post as often as I once did. Also dropped out there for a while - got irrationally ticked off when they allowed an alternative answer to one of my trivia questions (a wrong answer but they excused it because "the people who gave that answer didn't realize it was wrong"). What kind of excuse is that?

Anyway, I got over my snit - must have been channeling Meade, the Old Snapping Turtle.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:44 am
must have been channeling Meade, the Old Snapping Turtle.
How very Philadelphia.

GAH!