Cheers, Gob...

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Joe Guy

Cheers, Gob...

Post by Joe Guy »

RayThom

Cheers, Gob...

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Cheers, Gob...

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Belated greetings from Graaf-Reinet, the Cornwall of the Eastern Cape. Except no sea, no cliffs, and no water. But they speak incomprehensible here too.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Cheers once again....

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Happy Birthday, Taff!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Have a great year, and hope your family is soon reunited!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Happy birthday, you geezer. Oh look, it's Monday!

GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Cheers for an enjoyable celebration of another trip around the sun.  Send the barmaid over to see me; I'll stand you the first pint.

62 years old.
How much is that in metric?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

What everyone else said and more.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:18 am
62 years old.
If it's anything like MPH vs KPH, that's 100.
Happy birthday youngin'.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Happy Birthday!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:15 am
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:18 am
62 years old.
If it's anything like MPH vs KPH, that's 100.
Happy birthday youngin'.
But if it's like Fahrenheit vs Celsius, then it's only about 16 and a half.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Many thanks all! A very quiet birthday was enjoyed, thanks in part to a rather gorgeous botte of 15 year old Tamdhu sent by my lovely daughter.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

15 year old? I envy you; I've had the 12 year old aged in sherry casks and have enjoyed, but imagine the 15 is better. Is it aged in sherry barrels as well?

Gob

Post by Gob »

It is that. Lovely rich flavour. I've never been a fan of Speyside malts, but this may convert me.

This may be worth investing in, 28 year old Tamdhu.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It looks interesting; I used to love the smoky/ peaty whiskeys (I drank Laphroaig and Talisker (because they were available in the US), and other similar spirits not usually available in the US when I traveled to the UK), but over the years I have moved more towards the less smoky/peaty ones which give a more balanced palate. As for the Spyesides, I've used Glenlivet as a good middle of the road scotch (at parties, etc.), but the sherry aging of Tamdhu produces a very interesting character. I'll try to start with the 15 year old one some time in the future.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

£203 for a 50 cL bottle! Typical scotch and other spirits are a 75 cL bottle. That price makes it c. $400 for a 75 cL bottle. Although I was born in Scotland I have never been a fan of blended scotch or the malts (much to my father's and brother's disgust) but I can get a 75 cL Glenmorangie single malt for $80. (I picked them because I've been around the distillery.)

Must be something special.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

$80for Genmorangie? Around here it's more like $60 for the basic (I think 7 year old) and it goes up from there. The $300 for the 28 year old Tamdhu is probably not that out of line, as there are few scotches that old; the Chivas Royal Salute is around $200 for a 21 year old blended scotch, and I would bet the Tamdhu is a lot more limited in its bottling.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:29 pm
It looks interesting; I used to love the smoky/ peaty whiskeys (I drank Laphroaig and Talisker (because they were available in the US), and other similar spirits not usually available in the US when I traveled to the UK), but over the years I have moved more towards the less smoky/peaty ones which give a more balanced palate. As for the Spyesides, I've used Glenlivet as a good middle of the road scotch (at parties, etc.), but the sherry aging of Tamdhu produces a very interesting character. I'll try to start with the 15 year old one some time in the future.

Very similar to me, though I must admit my fave is now Lagavuin. (When I can afford it!)