Big Warning!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
BoSoxGal

Re: Big Warning!!! PLEASE READ!!!!!

Post by BoSoxGal »

Okay - so do I have until the end of the month, we aren’t doing anything ahead of their end date? I can work on it a little bit every day; I really want to save all those music videos because I haven’t seen many of them yet.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Reality Bytes wrote:Thats the $64mil question - when the board was most recently broken after the switch to PHP7.2 then I was able to login and read threads albeit with lots of debug code at the top of each window, so in theory thats what will happen when they switch over permanently in Feb however there are no guarantees. If we do a fresh install before that happens we can perhaps with a bit of help from you guys copy over threads to the new board - obviously realistically we can't do them all but if people have a thread they wanted to save they could copy it and quote it into a new thread on the new forum, but it will be laborious.
There is absolutely nothing on this board that is of so great importance that it would be worth one second of extra work for you, since you rarely participate on the board and do all this extra work gratis. Whatever you are willing to do is greatly appreciated. So whatever, as long as the inconvenience is to someone other than you.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Y2K -- all over again.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Losing old data isn't a big deal. Besides, if there are no archives, it will be easier for me to deny writing some of the things I've written.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:Losing old data isn't a big deal. Besides, if there are no archives, it will be easier for me to deny writing some of the things I've written.
I am taking the next 2 weeks off work just to screen shot everything you have posted.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

TPFKA@W wrote:I am taking the next 2 weeks off work just to screen shot everything you have posted.
I don't believe screenshots would be acceptable as proof that I wrote something since you could alter them. However, there are a lot of brilliant insightful statements and observations I've made that would make the effort worth your time.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:
TPFKA@W wrote:I am taking the next 2 weeks off work just to screen shot everything you have posted.
I don't believe screenshots would be acceptable as proof that I wrote something since you could alter them. However, there are a lot of brilliant insightful statements and observations I've made that would make the effort worth your time.
I took a few and decided to go to Italy instead. Sorry.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

That must have been a difficult choice for you to make. Buon viaggio!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:That must have been a difficult choice for you to make. Buon viaggio!
Very difficult indeed. Stalking you via your old posts was a close second. If the whole shebang goes tits up while I am gone I should let you know this

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

You could work on the screenshots while you're in Italy. It'll give you something to do when you're not eating.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe Guy wrote:You could work on the screenshots while you're in Italy. It'll give you something to do when you're not eating.
Good idea I am sure to be bored.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yeah, Italy is really old.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Hello

Thanks for reaching out to the DreamCare team. My name is Katy and I’m
one of the developers here on the team. We currently offer professional
services at the rate of $150/hour, however since this is a relatively new
service we are offering this at a discounted rate for $100/hour.

I’m happy to provide a quote on updating you phpbb installation(s)
however it’s a bit unclear which forum you’re looking to update. I found
one here http://www.theplanbforum.com/forum/ and then here
http://forum.theplanbforum.com/ .

Once I know what installation we’re working with I’ll be able to give you
a better quote but looking at this initially it appear that a lot of
these installations are time consuming, so I’m going to estimate that it
will take about 2 hours per installation to move the site to a staging
site, update the php then fix it and work out any errors or issues that
may arise.

If that’s something you’re interested in please let me know which
installation you’re looking to update and I’m happy to provide a formal
estimate.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,

Katy
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am happy to chip in a significant amount. But honestly I would also prefer to give the money to RB for her time if it comes down to that. I mean if she is able to do it and wants to do it why not compensate her rather than this random?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I agree with everything @W said. Especially the part about her chipping in a significant amount.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I can pitch in to a fund if we are going to try to do the various upgrades to preserve the board history, but I would much rather that we pay one of our own IT geniuses to do it, if they are willing to invest the time. I certainly understand if they are not.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just renewed the domain name, so we can still be Plan B. $15.99 of your USAian dollars
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:Just renewed the domain name, so we can still be Plan B. $15.99 of your USAian dollars
Good. Now on to Plan C. What's the buzz?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

Still waiting to hear back from RB, obvs she has a life to lead. If I do not hear from her, or she is unable to oblige, I will start a fund to pay for the person from Dreamhost to do it. If that raises sufficient cash, we'll survive this latest event.