Important Update.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Gob

Re: Important Update.

Post by Gob »

Pledges arriving!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Rather than a PM, I have sent you an email to the addy I have on file.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just curious ... since I want to do my part, but you-all have done that Brexit thing (and never did adopt the euro), can I still pay you in real American money?  Or do I have to convert it into some of those crowns, bobs, pence, quids, farthings, or whatever the heck you call that stuff nowadays?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

PayPal gives you the choice of currency you wish to send, and the choice of whether to let them do the conversion for you. Scooter can even send loonies, if he wants to.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

It's a funny thing but whenever I have sent Gob money he asks for Pesos.

Gob

Post by Gob »

OK, here's the situation.

Two members between them have offered sufficient donations to cover the whole $200, which is the perceived cost. This is outstanding generosity, and shows the goodwill we have here. As per norm I'm very very grateful.

Others have offered various amounts, as they see fit, and these are most welcomed and appreciated.

I will ask the people to go ahead, and make any initial payments myself. I will ask them not to go over $200 without letting us know.

I will divide the final cost up as equally as possible, and ask that people make good their donations to the equitable sum

SOME have, as ever, treated this place as a freebee, which it is up to others to pay for for them to enjoy.

This is galling, and it's lucky I don't like them in any case.

Any last thoughts before I commit?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Instead of the ongoing guilt-tripping commentary about freeloaders, why don’t you just set up an annual membership fee? Member access cancelled if fees not paid. Like Netflix. Easy peasy, huh? Then you don’t have to spend any of your precious time being galled and making nasty insinuations about people.

And for the record, I was the first to publicly pledge, and I’m sorry my measly $25 pledge doesn’t rate an expression of thanks for my generosity in your book. It’s bullshit though - people are not LESS THAN just because life circumstances have made them financially strapped. It’s nauseating to see you fawn over the wealthy members here making larger pledges, as though that somehow proves they’re more dedicated to this community.

Just close my account. I’d rather not be somewhere I’m considered poor trash.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the haystack. In any case I do wish that Gob would not shame those who cannot provide or will not provide, it is unacceptably bourgeoisie. Some here are on fixed incomes and I do not want or expect them to contribute. As long as I am working I am happy to provide funds to cover them. Even the ones I think are absolute cunts. When I retire, fuck everybody you are on your own.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BSG, you and I were not left out:
Others have offered various amounts, as they see fit, and these are most welcomed and appreciated.
I say nothing about the shaming.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:BSG, you and I were not left out:
I say nothing about the shaming.
SOME have, as ever, treated this place as a freebee, which it is up to others to pay for for them to enjoy.
I am not sure which you are referring to, my post or BSG but I was thinking of this:
I would not want retirees, people on disability or such to feel that they are among the deplorable.

RayThom

Important Update.

Post by RayThom »

Gob, when you consider my past performance you know I'm good for a contribution that exceeds what you expect of the members.

However, and at the moment, I have been diagnosed with a particularly aggressive form of stomach cancer. I am currently in the process of determining the depth and breadth of of the tumor(s) and the treatment options that I may, or may not, have.

Once I get a more definitive prognosis -- a survival time factor -- I'll pitch in accordingly. You know I'm good for it, just be patience.

My unwavering belief in secular humanism has been quite comforting in these time of distress and uncertainty.

Life is good. Peace.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

TPFKA@W wrote:I am not sure which you are referring to, my post or BSG
Well, I used the handle "BSG" to indicate who I was replying to. And I make no comment at all about what BSG (or anyone else) wrote about shaming.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Well, I used the handle "BSG" to indicate who I was replying to. And I make no comment at all about what BSG (or anyone else) wrote about shaming.
My general point is that if you’re surviving on the generosity of good friends and not even $1k/mo., a $25 pledge is just as outstanding generosity as if you’re making six figures plus and offer to pledge $100. As is statistically true across the board in life, poor people give a great deal more as a percentage of income than wealthy people, and their contributions shouldn’t be less appreciated. I don’t think I’m alone in detecting that the praise ‘this is outstanding generosity’ aimed at some versus ‘others have contributed various amounts as they see fit and this is also appreciated’ is not an equitable valuation of efforts.

Perhaps there are some here who have means and don’t pay - in my life experience that certainly happens. But more likely there are folks who are struggling to cover the basics, aren’t living off a fat pension and don’t have much if any disposable income. It just makes me seethe to see the value judgments over net worth - and I’ve been both places, I could easily have paid the whole damn bill just a few years ago. There but for the grace of God . . . we should all remember that.

But fuck all that - now all I care about is that one of us is very sick and needs our :hug: :hug: :hug: . I’ll be sending healing energy and chanting incantations for you RT - I’m not the religious type but my heart is in the right place.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
So to be perfectly clear, are you now talking to BSG?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BSG, My opinion is that Gob's pointing out two people's "outstanding generosity" has no other meaning than what he wrote. If two people have decided to pay for everyone, they are donating far more than they would be expected to contribute and deserve special thanks. That doesn't make your $25.00 donation or my $5000.00 donation any less important or less appreciated... :mrgreen:

Regarding RayThom, I'm shocked and don't really have the words to express how I feel right now. I wish you the best, RT.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Ray - I’m so sorry. Sending you all good wishes and peace.

Gob - I PM’d you....
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Best wishes, RT - may the medics produce their best thinking, best action and best skill, all for you, you curmudgeon. You are needed in many places by many people (I think I saw the wanted poster)

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:Instead of the ongoing guilt-tripping commentary about freeloaders, why don’t you just set up an annual membership fee? Member access cancelled if fees not paid. Like Netflix.
That would mean a paid membership, what about those who cannot afford it?
Easy peasy, huh? Then you don’t have to spend any of your precious time being galled and making nasty insinuations about people.
I have not done that.
BoSoxGal wrote:And for the record, I was the first to publicly pledge, and I’m sorry my measly $25 pledge doesn’t rate an expression of thanks for my generosity in your book.
Pull your neck in a bit! I welcome and appreciate your offer. I didn't want to continue referring to it here as I asked for PM's of donations not public declarations. Many members have privately contacted me.

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:
I would not want retirees, people on disability or such to feel that they are among the deplorable.
Me neither. My barb was aimed at those who boast here about their well to do financial position, and their pretence at world travel, but who have never paid a cent towards the board's up-keep.