Important Update.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Gob

Important Update.

Post by Gob »

I have spoken with Reality Bytes, who, unfortunately, is snowed under with work, and not in a position to try doing the fixes needed to update the board software. She has already gone above and beyond what we should expect from her, and we should be grateful for the support work she has done, without fanfare, on our behalf.

So, as I see it we have two options;

1) We try to raise the $200+ to get the host people to fix things on our behalf.

2) We blunder along on the old software, living in hope, until the whole thing goes tits up.

(Some) people here have been more than generous in the past in supporting the costs of the forum, others have come along for the ride. I have never asked for more than small donations, but some have been kind enough to donate far larger sums.

If anyone has any ideas on how we organise a cash appeal, I'm all ears.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Important Update.

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I can kick in some. Was it only $200? I thought it was a lot more than that. (One of the side effects of living in a country where $200 US is roughly R2880 is that numbers that don't involve thousands seem less terrifying)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I believe that was the hourly rate
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Which begs the question does that rate include just the time actively working researching etc. Or does it include the long hours babysitting the computer while it backs up, downloads, and/or installs?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Crackpot wrote:I believe that was the hourly rate
:arg
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The other thread said it was $100/hour (their "discounted" rate) for about 2 hours work.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

At present I am working only about 10 hours/week for $15.40/hr., so I’m fairly poor. But I will pledge (and keep my pledge) of $25 USD to the ‘Preserve Plan B’ fund.

I’m betting at least 7 other regular visitors are good for the same. :shrug

Same PayPal as annual fees?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am good for what I gave recently Gob or more if it is required to make up what others cannot.

RayThom

Important Update.

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:...
So, as I see it we have two options;

1) We try to raise the $200+ to get the host people to fix things on our behalf.

2) We blunder along on the old software, living in hope, until the whole thing goes tits up...
How about this -- mostly run out the clock with option #2 and then, before it vaporizes into cyberspace, we fall back to option #1?

PLUS -- I don't need a forum to be visually appealing, all I need is the written word and ways to respond to them.

KISS?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Scooter wrote:
The other thread said it was $100/hour (their "discounted" rate) for about 2 hours work.
Then I'm in for don't let my wife know $20.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Joe says to put your wallets away, your money is no good here, he will foot the whole tab. Let's hear it for Joe! :ok

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Let's get it upgraded. We can't sit back and watch Plan B crumble and fade away into cyber-limbo after all these years. If necessary, in order to earn enough money I'll ask for overtime at my Assistant to Assistant Walmart Greeter job and go without dinner for a few weeks. I'm in!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

What they all said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

If they said it would take 2 hours, it may actually be 3 or 4 (because such things rarely go smoothly). So pick a goal that provides some cushion, and anything left over can be applied to next year's hosting fees. Divide by the number of people who can be reasonably expected to contribute (based on past experience) and use that as the suggested contribution. Some will give more and some less, and we should be able to pull it out.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

1n @dditi0n t0 p@ying f0r the b0@rd upd@te J0e s@ys we @re a@l getting @ new c@r, 0n him. J0e be $m0k1n1n' h0t t0n1ght! Y0u g0 J0e!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I can't promise the car but I emailed Oprah to see if she's interested. I'm sure I'll have an answer soon.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

That's 0prah to you sonny.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I don't think the hosting people would be too keen on bailing us out if we follow Ray's "advice".

While I have always been happy to make up any shortfall in donations towards running costs, and this has only happened once, I do worry that I may need to set a limit on how long we are prepared to pay for.

Also, some regular users of this site have never chipped in and always left it to me and others to pay our way, they still seem to enjoy using the board, this does get a bit galling.

Thanks for all the offers of money already made, in this thread and by PM, I'll give it a couple of days.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

RayThom

Important Update.

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:I don't think the hosting people would be too keen on bailing us out if we follow Ray's "advice".
Hey, what do you want from me? I'm an odd idea kind of guy. I throw shit against the ol' concept wall to see what sticks. Usually just leaving a brown, stinky wall. Sigh!

Remember, without me in the mix none of you would sound like geniuses. All you Einsteins can thank me later.

If I survive the next couple of weeks you can count on my "RayFundMe" $ite for a little $omething in the PBF account.

PS. I think BB has also taken leave of the forum. I hope that, too, is only temporary.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Gob

Post by Gob »

OK, please could people PM me with their pledged donation amount. If we see sufficient funds being raised, I will take the risk of engaging with them

I will ask that they do not go over the $200 mark, without first letting us know the forecast final figure.