Change of address!!! Make sure to bookmark!!!

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Gob

Change of address!!! Make sure to bookmark!!!

Post by Gob »

The main forum address will soon become

http://www.theplanbforum.com

At that point index.php will become redundant.

Please bookmark the new address, and use it if the old one vanishes.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Re: Change of address!!! Make sure to bookmark!!!

Post by Jarlaxle »

Done.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't get it. Hasn't it always been "theplanbforum.com"? Or at least, since I joined in Dec 2015.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

That's what I thought. I've had Plan B bookmarked for years and the link still works.

ETA: The old link I'm using takes me to http://www.theplanbforum.com/forum/ - which might still work. When I first read Gob's post I didn't realize that he said it 'will be'. I thought it had already changed.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I don't know where this pen is going, but keep both sites bookmarked!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Ooooooh - neat-o new look to the forum just popped up, at least on mobile version.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Since the board went down and came back up earlier today, it changed my board "look" from the dark blue easy to read version back to the default baby blue (with the avatars on the far right rather than left) I used to know how to switch it back to the other look, but can't seem to find where to do that in control panel. Anybody know how I can do that again? (or has the latest "upgrade" left us with only this washed-out looking version?)
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If the option is available, it is well hidden. I believe it was under User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Display Options but I don't see it there. It didn't change a lot for me because the current format is the style I was using.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yeah, I've always had avatars on the right. Didn't know it could be any different and don't care. Color is fine. It's a bit "zippy" but I'll get used to it. "Quick links" is cool. Just about to check out "the team" - who dat? Tottenham?

Oh, it's just those tired old hacks :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

There is no longer an option for a different board ‘skin’ - we’re all in just the one.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

There is no longer an option for a different board ‘skin’ - we’re all in just the one.
Well, that's certainly par for the course...

Rarely do I ever see any kind of website "upgrade" that doesn't make the functionality and/or user experience worse... :(
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Also, even though I have the "hide my online status" option selected, I see my handle listed as being on the site at the bottom of the index page.... :arg
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lord Jim wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 pm
Also, even though I have the "hide my online status" option selected, I see my handle listed as being on the site at the bottom of the index page.... :arg
I think it shows up for you, but not for others. I just read your post just after it posted, and the list of online users doesn’t include you - but does include ‘one hidden’.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Thanks BSG :ok
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

That confirms it then. I see my own name in italics and I have 'Hide my online status' checked, so I was wondering if the italics meant something. That's another great "upgrade" addition that makes no sense. I don't mind people knowing I'm here but like Jim once said, my computer is almost always logged on to Plan B but I'm not using the forum. I don't want people to get all excited about me being here when I'm not.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Boy, did I not know this was going to happen!!

I'll look int the "skins" potential.

ETA: No longer necessary to go back to the front page for a "new posts" link. It's in the "quick links" drop down box .

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I receive this message when trying to delete PMs:

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Ok, I'll look into that!

No other skins on offer in the admin panel, I may have to install them, which could get risky!!

ETA:
Information
The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
I get that too! Will get onto the people who fixed it.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Now, let's have a vote; who actually wants me to attempt this?
1. Choosing a Style
It is recommended to only download styles from phpBB's Customisation Database as this is a trusted source where all styles have been validated by the Style Customisations Team. All styles downloaded from the Customisation Database should be ready to be uploaded to your board's styles/ folder.

Additionally, you could try your luck with styles that haven't been validated yet (and therefor not included in the database). There are numerous styles availble in the [3.1.x] and [3.2.x] Styles in Development section of the community forums.

Note: Styles created for phpBB 3.2.x are not compatible with 3.1.x. Make absolutely sure that the style you downloaded is for the phpBB version you have installed.!
2. Download and unzip
Once you have downloaded a style, you will need to unpackage it on your computer, as styles are typically available in the compressed "zip" file format.

In Windows, to unzip the style, simply double click it from the Windows Explorer view (for instance, if you downloaded the style to My Documents, you would open My Documents and double click the file). Proceed to click "Extract all files" under the address bar (Windows Vista, 7 and 8) or under the Folder Tasks menu (Windows XP) from within the Explorer window and follow the prompts.

On Mac, zipped files are automatically unzipped upon download by Safari (this setting can be disabled by unticking "Open safe files" in Safari's preferences) and can be accessed through the downloads list.

Make sure that your style includes all the required parts as described in the Anatomy of a Style section (templates, theme assets, and style.cfg).

3. Upload to your board
To upload files, open your favourite FTP client (such as FileZilla, CuteFTP, SmartFTP, etc - even some internet web browsers have this capability) and log in to your hosting account. Generally your publicly accessible files will be in an area named "public_html", "www" or similar.

Upload your style files (the entire folder) to the styles/ directory inside your phpBB root directory. You can check if you have uploaded it correctly by looking at the location of the style.cfg file. It should be located at:

phpBB/styles/my_style_name/style.cfg
4. Install
Once the style has been uploaded, navigate in the board's ACP to Customise -> Install Styles. You should see your recently uploaded styles listed (assuming you uploaded it to the correct location and the style is valid), with an option to "Install style". Simply click it and the installation is complete!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Not me. Only grumpy geezers and whiney millenials care about the gradations of shades of blue of the pages. We disaffected GenXers don’t give a fuck, so long as it works.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké