Here is an idea

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
TPFKA@W

Here is an idea

Post by TPFKA@W »

I thought I would bring this up well in advance of the hat being passed to pay for this board.

Our numbers are dwindling quite a lot as of this year. Two regulars have passed and others are not posting. I got to thinking, too, of the bad feelings some had when they either technologically or financially could not contribute to the running of the board. Additionally, I get the vibe that Gob is sick of dealing with the board, and I have no idea if Daisy and RB even look in anymore.

So with this in mind, I have a proposal for the board. When payment time comes again I would like to see a start up on Reddit, our own subreddit. It could be set to private, or we could allow other Redditors to join in. I propose this could be voted upon. I would like to see a couple of our board members supervise the membership. I would propose that Scooter and BSG create the board and do what bit of running of it there would be. It would not be too technical I don't think, and both of these members could be trusted to be fair in running what things need to be run.( I don't have to like either of you, but I would trust you to take leadership.) There would be no cost involved for any member. If things go tits up, they fix it and we would not have to worry about it.

Thoughts?

Scooter

Re: Here is an idea

Post by Scooter »

I wouldn't know the first thing about setting something like that up. I barely know what Reddit is; I believe I have followed links to content there on occasion, but have no sense of the architecture of the place.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I recommend joining and having a gander. There are thousands of subreddits and you will find something to take you down the rabbit hole. There’s naked men if nothing else. You are a smart fellow and will figure it out. Starting a subreddit is a matter of clicking on some buttons.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Probably a good idea. But you'll all be sad to know I'd not be there. I don't play well with technology (even easy stuff)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Like Meade, I'm comfortable with this BBS; not so much with things like Reddit, Facebook, or even Twitter.  So I most likely would not be making the switch either.

Please try to keep the cheering at a discreet level, if you please.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I am far from tech savvy. Joining Reddit is far easier than it was to join this board. In addition, if you forget your password, it is very simple to get a new one. I came up with the idea because it does not make any particular sense to pay $200 a year keeping this one going for so few. This board is not friendly to any new blood. I have a list of reasons, but if you all are unwilling, that is how it will be.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Hence I declared it a "good idea"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm happy to keep the board running. It's paid for until 2022.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

liberty

Post by liberty »

I don’t see where the fundraising has to be a big deal; I feel sure the people that contributed last time will be willing to do the same thing again next time. It may not be even necessary for Gob post a thread he could just send out PMs. After all, most of the people on this site are doing pretty well financially, probably better than we deserve.

And, as far as Reddit is concerned, count me out. Except for Gob and a few others, my trust level is quite low on this forum. I can disagree with someone without being an enemy, but some want enemies.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Count me as another naysayer. As long as Gob's happy to keep it running, I definitely prefer keeping this board rather than switching to something new. And I agree with lib that paying for it by member contributions has never been a problem and there's no reason to expect that it will be a problem in the foreseeable future.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"Starting a subreddit is a matter of clicking on some buttons." I suspect the same could be said about many things, even perhaps starting WWIII.

snailgate

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It ain't broke is it?

A widowed friend of mine asked me what she should do about the balding front tires on her car this morning. I told her the same thing. Replace the worn out ones, and leave the good ones alone. They are still well within "aging out" too. She was considering buying four new ones. You can bet the local tire shop would have those good ones on their used tire rack as soon as she left.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Well my thought was that Gob was tired of managing the board and it would eliminate that aspect as well as any cost which seemed to cause some to be twitchy. It would also eliminate the issues surrounding new member registrations. If no one is interested that’s fine. If Gob goes tits up or the board goes tits up it is an idea that can be refloated. Meanwhile there are 100’s of 1000’s of subreddits that hold fascination.