I guess it's news. I'm a statistic.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Darren

Re: I guess it's news. I'm a statistic.

Post by Darren »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:55 am
I'm back on the 02, but minimally.. There is some liquid outside of my lungs that doesn't belong there. The Dr had a name it but I forget what she called it. The good news is she thinks they may kick me out of here Monday. (Now Fri 11/20/2020.)
Fluid outside the lung is a different issue potentially indicating a problem with lymph accumulation. Was the word chylothorax mentioned?

Sounds like you're on the road to recovery. Stay the course.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Methuselah wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 pm
"Have you stuck to iPhone only, MGM, or were you allowed to bring in a laptop to save wear and tear on your thumbs in a Covid ward? "
They would have allowed me to have my laptop. I was still in the Covid ICU when they asked if
I had one. Really nice staff. Unfortunately, by that time Mrs had tested positive and was quarantining at home. The laptop was another 20 miles away in the wrong direction and would have had to have someone figure out how to get into my office, and which cords and assorted other things to bring.

I would suggest putting together something like a "go bag". In addition to all the standard stuff like your toothbrush and comb, the laptop can be left out for use until it's time to think about going. Remember all your chargers too. I had my freshly recharged razor, and my aforementioned transistor radio after the first day. Things I missed were several pairs of socks, slippers, (cold tile floor) and lots of clean underwear. Those gowns are not the least bit modest... I usually carry a Leatherman multi-tool. I didn't think I would have needed it, but there were a couple of times it would have been nice to have.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Darren wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 pm
Was the word chylothorax mentioned?
No, the Dr had a term for it, but that wasn't it.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Thanks, MGM. I’ll start building my kit now. Sounds like something you’d do for going to jail

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:00 am
Darren wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:44 pm
Was the word chylothorax mentioned?
No, the Dr had a term for it, but that wasn't it.
Not pleurisy? I thought for sure pleurisy; very commonly associated with viral pneumonia/covid.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Methuselah wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:39 am
Thanks, MGM. I’ll start building my kit now. Sounds like something you’d do for going to jail
It's not like you know you're going to get sick and have to go to the hospital. The majority don't. I'm just an unlucky statistic who did. I definitely consider myself to be lucky and to be ABLE to go to a good hospital to get the care I needed. I'm also very thankful.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Another thing to keep in mind is that I'm sure every hospital is different, in terms of what devices they'll allow you to bring in and use, and in terms of their phone signal strength and wi-fi network access. But yeah, I guess it's a good idea to have a general idea of a plan, just in case.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Best wishes to Mrs MGMcA. I hope her recovery is boring and uneventful.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I’m really glad you’re home. Hope Mrs. Mc recovers quickly.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Mrs Mc was one of those folks who tested positive, but had very few symptoms. She said she was achy for one day, but that was about it. She quarantined the whole time I was in the hospital. No more quarantine for either of us.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Glad to hear it, MGM. If I go that way, I'll hope that when it's over I can drive 1000 miles to visit the grandkid.