Why Recruit?

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
dales

Re: Why Recruit?

Post by dales »

Oh how I miss a snappy Lord Jim rejoinder about now.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:00 am
I remember reading on another board on which Rube participated that he had eyesight issues. May have made posting difficult.
I have contacted Rubato*, on an email he used recently, asking if he can and would drop in to update us on his situation.

*politely.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Methuselah wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:37 am
I just did a Google Search for Le Chat House, and couldn't find anything. Are they gone for good?
Yes.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Thanks, Gob and BSG.
The purpose of this thread was to encourge Newbies to come and stay. The latest content here is mostly arguments, which is a turnoff unless they are potential Harpists. I'll therefore respond to such posts in the future with a Personal Message, selected by the icon at the top of the page if you are logged in. Few people are aware when personal messages are sent to them. As I don't have email addresses for most of you, I'll tell you when I've sent you a PM by a response to your post with my post. I'll also use "quote marks" in my PM, which makes the message appear in your Notifications section, selected at the top of the page. I'll post a message here telling you to check your PMs.I'll try that next. On to Zoom?

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

The first PM experiment went well. The respondent had a chance to make some comments that would cause another uproar here. There are some aspects of the PM technology that are un-necessarily awkward. I'll contact phpBB directly on that, and not bother the rest of you. Does someone want to set up a Zoom group for communication shielded from Newbies?

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Methuselah on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Seriously? When a poster gets a PM, a big fat red flag appears at the top of the page - can’t miss it. Same as when you’re quoted by someone else.

I’m sure phpBB are just loving you. :D
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Of course there is the well known problem of double posting. Ask the kind folk at phpBB - I'm sure they can help.

PS - if and when I choose to send a PM, I select a recipient and type the message. I find nothing awkward about it.
Does someone want to set up a Zoom group for communication shielded from Newbies?
If Gob wants to set up a forum with access only to some subcategory of users it's well within his powers as Adminstrator. I presume that because there is no subgroup for communication shielded from Newbies, it's because he chooses not to set one up. It's his board; if I don't like it I can go elsewhere.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

GAH!