So this time it's prostate cancer

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
TPFKA@W

Re: So this time it's prostate cancer

Post by TPFKA@W »

So this summer (just after I went back to work post Jones fracture) my dear husband had a procedure called a urolift. It was an outpatient procedure and he too had an indwelling cath as we drove home. He was to keep the catheter in until there was no more blood in the tubing and bag and then I was to remove the cath. Apparently they coach lay people to do the cath removal. I have taken out countless catheters over the years but it is quite a different matter when it is your own husband. He also is a huge big baby in most matters of this nature. The poor man woke me up at 3 am crying on the following night. I felt that I ought to deflate the bulb and push the catheter up, as I have had to do many times. I didn't want to take it out since there was still a sizable amount of blood and clots in the bag and tubing. Anyway he was having none of me doing what I felt needed to be done so I took him to the ER. He was in too much pain to even try and put pants on so off I went with my pant-less patient( he did have underwear on). They gave him a bit of morphine to take the edge off, and after a bladder scan and other things it was decided to just pull it out. Well, he was immediately incontinent of urine all over the floor. Several times. And he had no pants and was loopy from the morphine. I went out the the car and found a beach towel and an incontinence brief that we had on hand because of his issues which led up to the urolift. He put on the brief, after christening the floor with urine another time or two and we wrapped the brightly colored beach towel around his waist. He stood up and did a hula hoop motion with his hips, for the benefit of the nurses I guess and was clearly a happy guy. Fun times.
So Scooter I hope your time with the catheter is not long term, and my husband understands some of your discomfort.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Just never going to click on that link....

Be well mate.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The catheter gets removed two weeks after surgery. Urinary incontinence is expected for a while afterwards, before the surgery that was my main obsession about recovery; now I've pushed it to the back of my mind after experiencing the effects of "bladder spasm" - feeling the need to pee even as it is draining well, leakage around the tubing, and the feeling that the thing is vibrating like a tuning fork inside my dick. And it's completely unpredictable. Sometimes I'll go for hours barely noticing that anything is in there, then it can set off for no apparent reason, and it might be bothersome for only a few minutes or a couple of hours. I might leak around the tube only in moments of strain, or I might suddenly feel a rush of wetness just lying there. I'll say that I have been lucky in that once I get to sleep, it doesn't disturb me at all. Certainly nothing I would describe as pain from that area.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm avoiding the link as well; I had a urinary tract infection about 20 years ago which inflamed my prostate; during the recuperation, I had significant difficult urinating (not enough to require a catheter, but enough to be very painful) for around a week; it was not pleasant. I can only imagine what you are going through, but as I told myself then, this too will pass. Take it easy and get better.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have such sympathy for you; I had a client once who was on a catheter long term and I had such feeling for him, I couldn’t imagine the discomfort. Anyway I hope you recover swiftly and it is soon a hazy memory.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks. I couldn't imagine having to use a catheter long-term. I'd certainly need them to design a much better leg bag in order to regain mobility. I gave up on the one they gave me after less than three hours. I would have had to practically tourniquet my leg to get it on tight enough so that the weight didn't pull it down and yank on the tubing. And there's no way to really lie on the sofa or in bed and keep the bag lower than my bladder, and unlike the bigger bags, there's no protection against backflow.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

There are various products that hold the tubing in place. They ought to have given you some. perhaps you could have someone go to the place you had the procedure or a medical supply place and ask for a supply of them. https://www.exmed.net/p-3421-bard-statl ... clamp.aspx A couple ought to do.

Long term I would want hubby to have a urostomy. Long term I observe that there is greater comfort and less infections with those. (The catheter goes directly into the bladder through the abdominal wall. It's not as bad as it sounds and Mr. Penis gets a break from all the potential tugging.)

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Echo others - catheters are not fun. Best wishes on a quick and full recovery.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:36 pm
Mr. Penis gets a break from all the potential tugging.
Look, it's none of my business how you two run your sex life.

Or is that just what you call Mr. @W?
GAH!

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Sue U wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:13 am
TPFKA@W wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:36 pm
Mr. Penis gets a break from all the potential tugging.
Look, it's none of my business how you two run your sex life.

Or is that just what you call Mr. @W?
:fu

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

IIRC @W has referred to her spouse as Santa Claus