Just in case anyone is interested....

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Gob

Just in case anyone is interested....

Post by Gob »

How to Create a phpBB Forum (In 5 Steps)

The best way to decide whether to use a specific tool is to see it in action. With that in mind, let’s walk through how to use phpBB to create a brand-new forum.

Before you begin running a forum on your website, it may be a good idea to contact your hosting provider to make sure your site meets the server requirements for the increased traffic. Then, you’re ready to get started!

Step 1: Download and Install phpBB
The first thing you’ll need to do is download the phpBB software. Click on the Downloads tab at the top of the phpBB website. From there, you will see the following screen:
Select the orange button to download the latest package. Once the download is complete, unzip the file and install phpBB on your computer. When that installation process is finished, you’ll be ready to set up your forum.

Step 2: Register Your phpBB Forum Administrator Account
With phpBB installed, you’ll now need to register an administrator account in order to use your forum. Click on Register in the top-right corner of the page and you’ll be asked to agree to the user terms:
Agree to the terms of your new phpBB forum tool.
Choose I agree to these terms, and you’ll come to a screen where you can input your personal information:
Here, you can create a username, enter your email address, and choose a password. Then select your language and time zone. Finally, fill in the confirmation code as it is displayed on your screen, and click Submit.
Now that you have an administrator account to manage your forum, you can sign in and begin setting everything up.

Step 3: Set Up Your phpBB Forum
At this point, you’ll want to click on Login in the top-right corner of the page and fill in your username and password:
Logging in to phpBB.
Once you’ve logged in, you’ll return to the Board Index page, which is the home page for your new forum’s dashboard. This is where you can begin to set it up.
First, click on your username in the top right-hand corner of the page, and select User Control Panel:
From this page, you can set up your profile, choose your desired board preferences, see your private messages, and create and assign user groups at will. It’s a good idea to spend some time going through the various settings here, and familiarizing yourself with the basics of what phpBB can do.

Step 4: Start Creating Content
Now, you’re ready to add some engaging content to your forum. You’ll need some interesting topics to get conversations started and to attract new members. To do that, click on your forum and select New Topic:
Create a new topic in phpBB.
Fill in your topic’s subject and write your first post. It’s best to focus on strong content that provides some kind of value for your target audience:
Write an engaging post in phpBB.
Add as much content as you can, to increase the chance that visitors will find something interesting to engage with. phpBB enables you to organize your content by categories and threads, which should help you keep your forum from ever becoming overwhelming.<

Step 5: Customize Your phpBB Forum
Finally, you’ll probably want to customize your forum to match your site’s branding. You also want your forum to be unique and memorable, so people will keep coming back for more.
Fortunately, there are a number of resources to help phpBB users do just that. On the phpBB home page, you’ll find a link to the Styles Database:
This page provides hundreds of options for customizing the look and feel of your forum. In addition, you’ll find a host of user-created extensions to choose from:
The phpBB customization database
There’s a large community of developers making extensions for phpBB, so it’s not difficult to find the style and functionality you’re looking for. Of course, if you are a developer yourself (or are willing to hire one), you can write your own extensions using PHP as well.

phpBB Forum Conclusion
If you’re looking to create a community where like-minded people can gather to discuss particular topics, a forum can be a perfect place to start. Running a forum can not only create this community, but can also attract new visitors to your site and boost engagement.
To create a forum for your website using phpBB just follow these five steps:

Download and install phpBB.
Register your administrator account.
Set up your forum.
Start creating content.
Customize your forum.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Just in case anyone is interested....

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Can I have "twelve hours" in the pool?

That's the length of time I predict it will take before Meth-head posts to this thread saying something like, "Well, that's one way to do it, but there is a better way... "   :lol:
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

I'd say that is consistent with the indirect method used to communicate around here. I'm retired, I'm too lazy to set up a new site. Some (a very few?) of my friends are still here. Speaking up gets you bombed by the Fight Clubbers.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You don't get it. It's not the speaking up it's the endlessly pedantic "man-splaining". I recognize it because I do it. Now I know how awful it is. Nevermore!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:27 am
You don't get it. It's not the speaking up it's the endlessly pedantic "man-splaining". I recognize it because I do it. Now I know how awful it is. Nevermore!
Mainsplaining and sealioning.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning
Sealioning (also spelled sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity.[1][2][3][4] It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".[5]
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Just saving this post for posterity. :mrgreen:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:04 am
Can I have "twelve hours" in the pool?

That's the length of time I predict it will take before Meth-head posts to this thread saying something like, "Well, that's one way to do it, but there is a better way... "   :lol:
-"BB"-
Can I have one hour and 21 minutes please?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Posterity will reward you appropriately :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:40 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Posterity will reward you appropriately :lol:
You laugh now, but the NEWBIES will use this against you someday when you’re gettin’ all high horsey with your mansplainin’! :nana :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 am
Mainsplaining and sealioning.
You can add concern trolling:
A concern troll is someone who disingenuously...offer(s) unwanted advice on how to solve problems which do not really exist.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown