Farewell, Katie Barefoot

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Methuselah

Farewell, Katie Barefoot

Post by Methuselah »

Some of you know her. You'll then know where to go to get more info.

Methuselah

Re: Farewell, Katie Barefoot

Post by Methuselah »

JB posted contact info on Katie somewhere else. I don't know how to tell you who or where without breaking the rules. You can find it if you know how to use search. Thuse. PS; Does saying "Katie [something] break the rules or conventions? JB? I know some are privacy obsessed, but I try not to offend you.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm not the arbiter of this board so what follows is not permission but an opinion.

I take it from your title and your coy remarks that Katie has died. If I'm wrong then I apologize for the misinterpretation to you and, most especially, to Katie. I don't think I ever saw a post from her but I know that her name was often mentioned.

Several people on this board have passed. Although I have known the names of some of them before that event from personal messages and other contacts, I don't think that their real names were used on the board itself. Sometimes someone with knowledge has sought permission from the family (I did this for RayThom) and as a result we have seen obituaries of our friends. Sometimes a long-ago friend has passed and we have received word from a third party (I'm thinking of Omar).

I don't think it would be wrong, given permission from the family, to post a link to an obituary or a news story which gives details. Again, that's my opinion and it's worth exactly $0.02.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I agree with Andy; as one of the more privacy conscious people on this board who has shared his real life information only with a very few (not that I don't think anyone determined and willing to put in the effort couldn't find that information by a bit of searching, only that board etiquette here would discourage them from posting it), I think such postings, with the consent of the family, would be acceptable. Failing that, I also think if someone is particularly concerned about a fellow poster, they could suggest Gob try to contact them or post their concerns for anyone who might know more to comment on.

As for Katie, I recall her posting from a while back and enjoyed them and interacting with her, but I think it's been a long time since she posted here (if she ever did)--it was more in the CT forum as I recall. If she has passed, Requiescat in Pace.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Hi folks, at the risk of providing more attention to the OP, the CarTalk poster known as Katie Barefoot has, sadly, passed away. She came down with COVID-19, was fighting it and seemingly improved, but then suddenly went downhill. She passed on Tuesday morning with her husband and her music in her room with her.

A Zoom memorial service is scheduled for next week and an obituary will be published this weekend.

“Katie” was one of the former Cartalk folk I stay in touch with off-line. Her loss is so sad and so unfair. She was a brilliant lady with a huge wit, and a vast store of knowledge. The politicalization of a public health issue infuriates me, as it did Katie. Her death is a senseless loss, and those who refuse to protect themselves and others are responsible. Data released last night shows that the #1 source of misinformation about COVID is the outgoing administration, with El Orange Cheat-toe at the top of the list. This is on him.

RIP Katie Barefoot.

I have passed this information on to those who knew her. Anyone else who wants information about the obituary or the service, please PM me.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Guinevere wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:42 am
Hi folks, at the risk of providing more attention to the OP, the CarTalk poster known as Katie Barefoot has, sadly, passed away. She came down with COVID-19, was fighting it and seemingly improved, but then suddenly went downhill. She passed on Tuesday morning with her husband and her music in her room with her.

Data released last night shows that the #1 source of misinformation about COVID is the outgoing administration, with El Orange Cheat-toe at the top of the list. This is on him.
True enough, but you are being far too tactful.  See this post for a more direct take on the matter.
Guinevere wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:42 am
RIP Katie Barefoot.
May the memory of her be a blessing to those of us who knew her.  And in the words of one of her favorite authors, "Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"  So GNU Katie Barefoot.

Shalom, my good friend.
:cry:
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks Guin, that is sad and I wish her and her family and friends peace.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Thanks, Guin. Sad news indeed.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Oh wow. So sad indeed. Scary too.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.