Lurking experiment

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Methuselah

Lurking experiment

Post by Methuselah »

A Plan B Lurker is defined in this note as a stranger or registered user who never logs in. He can not post, nor read or write PMs or use many other features available to logged-in people. He can watch but not touch. I plan to start lurking at 9 PM PST on Dec. 3rd and carry it on indefinitely. All of you with a compulsion to dump Malicious Clutter or advice I’ve received too many times in the past, and Fight Club Group members, have a limited time to act. I will respond to some inputs from you before the deadline but will be mute thereafter. I will be able to watch you, but not respond in any way. You are secure in this little castle. You have Foe Blocked me. I’ll be watching. Behave yourselves. Methuselah mikegockel@aol.com
Last edited by Methuselah on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crackpot

Re: Lurking experiment

Post by Crackpot »

Fuck off
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I. Billington’s Wood

North of Arkham the hills rise dark, wild and wooded, and much overgrown, an
area through which the Miskatonic flows seaward, almost at one boundary of the
wooded tract. Travellers in this region are seldom impelled to go beyond the
outskirts of the wood, though a faint track leads into it and presumably goes
through to the hills, and beyond the hills, to the Miskatonic, and beyond that into
open country once more. What deserted houses have been left by the ravages of
time bear a surprisingly uniform aspect of weatherbeaten squalor, and, while the
wooded region itself shows signs of singular vitality, there seems to be little
evidence of fertility in the country around. Indeed, a traveller on the Aylesbury
Pike, which opens from River Street in Arkham, and proceeds in leisurely
fashion west and northwest of the ancient, gambrel-roofed town toward the
strange, lonely Dunwich country beyond Dean’s Corners, cannot help but be
impressed with the remarkable degree of what, at first glance, might seem
reforestation in that region, but which, on closer examination, proves to be not
new growth, but ancient, hardy trees flourishing, it seems, centuries after time
should have taken its toll of them.

Arkham people have forgotten almost all about it; there were legends, dark and
vague, which their granddames brooded about at the fireside, some of them
harking back to the time of the witchcraft fever; but, like so many similar tales,
their tenuousness eventually slipped completely away, and nothing was left to be
said but that the wood was “Billington’s Wood,” and the hills were “Mr.
Billington’s,” and all that property around, including the great house which
could not be seen but was nonetheless there, deep in that wood, on a pleasant
knoll, it was said, “near the tower and the circle of stones.” The gnarled, old
trees invited none of the curious, the dark wood beckoned no traveller, not even
the horde of scavengers in search of antiquities of customs, legends, and
household appurtenances, who might conceivably have been drawn to the old
Billington house. The wood was shunned; the casual traveller hastened by, urged
on by a curious dislike for which he had no explanation, by his fancies and his
imagination, which left him no regrets and brought him safely home again,
whether he came from Arkham or Boston or from the lost hamlets of the
Massachusetts countryside.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

General, please give me a brief summary. I just got my eyes dilated at the doctor's, and it is hard to read. Include in your summary why it is pertinent to this discussion. PS: If your intent is Malicious Cluttering you are doing it wrong.

dales

Post by dales »

What Crackpot said.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Summary:
Ambrose Dewart returns to his ancestral estate and sets about restoring the mansion to his own tastes. In the process he comes across a document signed by his great grandfather invoking a sinister injunction to future generations: "Do not invite he who lurks at the threshold!"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Please, just toss your tiara and don't let the door hit you in the buttocks on the way out.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Got it, thanks General. For the record, half the people who comment on my posts I've blocked, so that makes my replies even more puzzling. I go on full lurker status tomorrow. Should I remove the blocks before Christmas? Naah, people will think I'm just as un-self-disciplined as BSG. I'll sneak in quick, do the unblocks, and get out at Christmas time. Don't watch.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Nobody cares, Meth. It's just a form of mental masturbation for you to announce your doings. Why don't you just get off that and join in conversations like a normal human?

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

General, long quotes from the obscure Billington are not a normal conversational tactic. I guess you enjoy the replies asking "what are you trying to say". Keep it up, though, it raises the tone here.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Methuselah wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:17 pm
I guess you enjoy the replies asking "what are you trying to say".
I don't have any doubts about what Meade is trying to say. And BTW August Derleth, who wrote The Lurker at the Threshold, is hardly obscure. It's possible that there is a little clue in the title of the work. Of course when one is at the threshold, it is sometimes impossible to say whether he is on the way in or on the way out.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Noted.