Happy Birthday Bicycle Bill

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Joe Guy

Happy Birthday Bicycle Bill

Post by Joe Guy »

I couldn't find anything clever for a birthday card so the best I could do is put this picture I found of governor Governor Tom McCall in Oregon in 1971 signing a Bicycle Bill.

Enjoy your day...

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Happy Birthday Bicycle Bill

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Is it true that a bicycle doesn't mind which way it goes?

Happy Bikethday!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

28167158_1762563210462393_1742189830977932644_n.jpg
28167158_1762563210462393_1742189830977932644_n.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Hope it was happy.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:04 pm
I couldn't find anything clever for a birthday card so the best I could do is put this picture I found of governor Governor Tom McCall in Oregon in 1971 signing a Bicycle Bill.

(from the link Joe Guy provided:
In 1971, Don Stathos, a Republican state representative and avid bicyclist from Jacksonville, sponsored House Bill 1700.  Nine representatives and one state senator originally backed the bicycle bill.  At each stage of the legislative process, the bill passed by one vote.  Initially, Governor Tom McCall didn't favor the bill, but changed his mind as he came to believe it was good for Oregon and Oregonians.  The governor signed the bill into law on the seat of a Schwinn Paramount.
(n.b. — have to point out that this happened over fifty years ago, back before Republicans had all turned into pond scum, MAGAts, or worse.)
I thought that bicycle looked vaguely familiar.  I didn't get into the sport seriously until the summer of the following year (1972), and at that time the hand-constructed lugged-and-brazed Schwinn Paramount was considered to be the epitome of American bicycles in terms of quality and craftsmanship.  I knew a couple of people who had one, and for a few years I lusted for one, but they cost in excess of $500 (in 1972 dollars).

Then about five years later TREK came onto the scene, took the idea that the only way to get a good quality bicycle was to either import one from France or Italy or spend a ridiculous amount of time and money to have one of a handful of American frame-builders construct one to your personal specifications, and stood it on its ear.  I got one as a frameset only and assembled it with an eclectic mix of components to fit my purposes and style of riding (although when I totaled up the damages it was far more than what I COULD have bought a Paramount for  Image ... que sera, sera).  But it was my very own, custom-constructed bicycle, there would never be another one exactly like it, so I swung my leg over it and pedaled off, and never — well, ALMOST never — looked back.

I'm about to head out the door to go to the local to listen to the live band and hoist an adult beverage or two to celebrate the start of my 68th orbit around the sun.  I'll sign off by posting this ... and yes, I truly mean it, even with regard to liberty and BSG.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:04 pm

Enjoy your day...
Hope you had a good day Bill. Keep those wheels spinning!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Nice Post Bill. Happy Belated Birthday.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Thanks for the eyeworm, Scooter. I don't know if that's the right terminology but it's just like the annoying scrap of music that you can't expunge, once you are reminded of it. There was a time when Richard Simmons was ubiquitous (what's more, he was everywhere) and I had forgotten all about him. Now he's back in my consciousness. You may have scarred me for life, there.

And better belated than never, HB BB.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Belated birthday wishes to you Bill. May your tires never go flat.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It's Bicycle Bill's birthday! Happy Birthday!

I found a song we can all sing along to.... One, Two, Three!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

195708577_10159766780492137_6160623727168557186_n.jpg
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

(Jeez, I'm not even BELATED this time...for once...)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

At your age you probably have all the useless junk you need so I've provided an informative video to you as a gift for your birthday.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Thanks, Joe.

Once again, though, another year has come and gone and still there is no one standing at my bedside in the morning saying, "Good morning, your Royal Highness, and here is your coffee ... "
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Yeah, somehow it doesn't happen BB.

Happy BBirthday mate!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Happy birthday, retrospectively! Sorry for the delay, but as Duke Ellington put it:

GAH!

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Not to worry, Sue.  I spent pretty much the whole day inside thinking about someone who isn't here rather than going out anywhere.
Although I did have myself some birthday cake.

Made a wish and blew out the candle — but it still didn't come true.  Oh, well.
-"BB"-