We live to fight another year.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
wesw

Re: We live to fight another year.

Post by wesw »

if anyone has a P.O. box or something I ll send in my share and ask that you forward it to gob, thru pay pal or whatever newfangled method you youngsters use these days....

Gob

Post by Gob »

This is an email receipt for the paypal.com payment you just made through
https://panel.dreamhost.com/billing/

Your PayPal Account:
Time: 2015-03-22 15:40:48
Transaction ID: 135235443
Amount: $119.40 (USD)
Applied to Account #: 31961829
Not asking for donations this year.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Well why the heck not? Not planning to shuter her down are you?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What about bribes? are you still taking bribes?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I wish I had known this earlier. I already sent you my $119.40 like I do every year.

Gob

Post by Gob »

TPFKA@W wrote:Well why the heck not? Not planning to shuter her down are you?

Not at all, but it seems that only the same few generous folks chip in year after year, and though this is kind of them it hardly seems fair. (Not always the heaviest users either, Tim chipped in last year FFS.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I believe I contributed the first year, but have been absent for a couple of years until this past summer. When funds are needed again, I would be happy to contribute.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

One person has offered the full amount, which shows extraordinary generosity.

But they would be funding my blog and ...horror.... online music, photography and shite, so that's a no go.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I see what you mean funding you blog and music would be considered a crime agianst humanity
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:One person has offered the full amount, which shows extraordinary generosity.
It certainly shows the poster has plentiful means.

Means is not the measure of a generous heart.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

It shows both surely? I'm sure more than just one person here could, if they wished, offer to pay the whole fee.

But only one went as far as to actually offer.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

:roll:

It is a lovely gesture to offer to pay for the whole shebang. But then there are those who would like to drag that gesture in the dirt. That speaks volumes.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:It shows both surely? I'm sure more than just one person here could, if they wished, offer to pay the whole fee. But only one went as far as to actually offer.
It's OK Gob... you can tell. It was me, wasn't it? So much wine and then the keyboard... irresistible combination. I just found the email. "Good no yr bog. See Ill covre tall jus lett me nosokkjwrtehpeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee " Guess my head hit 'send' when I passed out.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Perhaps many other people here who could, if they wished, afford to pay the whole fee haven't offered to do so because they believe that a community should share the burden of the costs. That doesn't make them any less generous of spirit. Perhaps they'd rather donate more to true charitable endeavors that benefit the poor, the environment, etc.

Again, offering to pay the whole bill isn't evidence of having a greater generous spirit than anybody else who posts here. One could say that offering to pay the whole bill is insulting to others who might wish that this place remain as true as possible to the founding creed, that nobody would 'own' Plan B or be such a loud and forceful voice that others feel silenced.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

One could say that offering to pay the whole bill is insulting to others who might wish that this place remain as true as possible to the founding creed, that nobody would 'own' Plan B or be such a loud and forceful voice that others feel silenced.
I just wrote in another thread that some people will always find ways to be offended...

Is it possible that maybe someone here is trying to show us how he/she appreciates all of us?

I doubt it. You're probably right. It's someone attempting a hostile takeover...

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That's not what I meant, Joe, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

I think it's insulting to the rest of us to insinuate that we aren't so generous. I could afford to pay the whole bill here, but I think there are plenty of folks here who can afford to chip in to pay it, and it should be a shared expense because it's a community.

I also don't think that just because the same few people chip in every year means others are less generous of spirit. There are people who post here whose financial means are far more limited than others.

I think the whole commentary on generosity of spirit was misplaced.

Anyway, finis.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

I HAVE paid the whole whack, what does that make me?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

It makes you a control freak!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Update;

The person who made the original offer, has now made a surprise and substantial donation via pay-pal, and has effective closed the need for further donations.

This gives him/her no increased influence or entitlements, apart from free access to download any of my music.

And if s/he thinks s/he is getting any more nude photos of me, s/he can think again.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Are you saying that the anonymous not-so-generous insulting donor is a person who studies unnatural life formations?