We live to fight another year.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: We live to fight another year.

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Cafe Dartre Year End Report

I am pleased to report that 1998 was another year of solid growth at
Cafe Dartre. Our policy of Total Quality Nonsense (TQN) is clearly
reaping substantial benefits for all Cafe residents. The following
statistics bear this out.
(and so on)
That sounds like some of N.G.Neer's handiwork.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 pm
Cafe Dartre Year End Report

I am pleased to report that 1998 was another year of solid growth at
Cafe Dartre. Our policy of Total Quality Nonsense (TQN) is clearly
reaping substantial benefits for all Cafe residents. The following
statistics bear this out.
(and so on)
That sounds like some of N.G.Neer's handiwork.
-"BB"-
Right!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Well, I guess 1998 was the peak year for the Cafe since I joined in 1999 and it was all downhill from there.
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:32 am
Well, I guess 1998 was the peak year for the Cafe since I joined in 1999 and it was all downhill from there.
I don't know; I remember the thread that developed after Katie Barefoot and I met at the MN State Fair in 2001.  There had been a couple of meet-ups of d'Arteans on the east side of the country, and I attempted to set up a FtF for people in the central part of the country.  Turns out Katie and I were the only two people to show up, so Katie (bless her mischievous heart!) came up with the idea that the board members would want to know how it was — or if the Axe Murderer showed up and got us both — so we would each post as if it had been a total, complete waste of time and effort.

We did so, and the board literally erupted with comments from all and sundry, thinking that we were on the level and that what Katie said about me (and what I said in rebuttal) were legitimate.  It took about three days or so before someone finally figured out that we had our tongues so far in our cheeks (our OWN cheeks, that is — get'cher minds out of the gutter!) that we were choking ourselves, and we had to 'fess up.  In fact, I even made and kept printouts of the thread in the now-forlorn hope that someday Katie and I might sit back, re-read them, and recall how we first met.

I think the board didn't peter out until the Cyberbabes who monitored the board stopped being quite so hands-on.  We started getting a lot of spam and trolls, then they changed the format of the board and people gradually migrated elsewhere...   So what handle did you go by on the CarTalk board, Sue?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 am
 So what handle did you go by on the CarTalk board, Sue?
Originally it was Sue Urass but revised it to Sue U in 2001 to be a bit less rude in a gesture toward civility. I don't know what I was expecting.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 11:04 am
I think the board didn't peter out until the Cyberbabes who monitored the board stopped being quite so hands-on.  We started getting a lot of spam and trolls, then they changed the format of the board and people gradually migrated elsewhere...   So what handle did you go by on the CarTalk board, Sue?
Bill, that's interesting. I thought they closed it down because it was becoming too abusive and not a good thing for the brand name (CarTalk).

(Yep, Sue Urass I remembers that)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That must have been after I left; I got disgusted when I once drafted a long post and had it deleted--no comment, no explanation, nothing. After that I felt it wasn't worth the time. When I was there, I recall some jerks, but, for the most part, here were a number of lively discussions; the lack of moderation/censorship, as well a many ex-CSB members, is what attracted me here.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Does anyone remember when I was trying to organize a group of people to go and physically take over Cafe Dartre?

I remember BobB and maybe Handyone and a couple others were interested.

Those were the days…

AND YOU KNEW WHO YOU WERE THENNNNNNN!….

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

As I remember it, a bunch of us emigrated to the "back page" of the What Do You Know site and were having a nice party there until it started having "technical issues" of its own.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I guess I missed that party. I do remember a lot of people talking about ordering drinks and sitting around talking but I wasn't part of that group. I vaguely remember Handyone writing something about ordering up some knee pads...

We were a motley crew as I recall.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Is everyone here from Cafe Dartre?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I was cleaning out a storage area that contained old t-shirts and came across a black one printed with with a sort of transformer-style mechanical biped and SNAILGATE as an acronym for Synthetic Networked Android Intended for Logical Gratification, Assassination and Thorough Exploration.

The pic and words were faded and flaking off, but I could figure it out. I recall that this came from a novelty printing company discussed in the Cafe Dartre. It was along time ago, and the world is different now. but Cafe Dartre attracted an interesting assortment of denizens. I guess you had to be there, at least virtually.

snailgate.

wesw

Post by wesw »

no , i have heard of the cafe, but i am here from cartalk...

...joe invited me

wesw

Post by wesw »

stay tuned for the third half of the plan b forum

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

wesw wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:58 pm
Ummm... The cafe, Cafe Dartre, (Sp?) was part of Cartalk.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:23 pm
wesw wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:58 pm
Ummm... The cafe, Cafe Dartre, (Sp?) was part of Cartalk.
In fact, the chat room portion of the Cartalk website. Rant 'n Rave being the board that got it all cancelled. Or rather, moderated to death.

wesw

Post by wesw »

i got to cartalk after cafe dartre

and yes it was moderated to death

then they changed formats , and i only went back once or twice after that.

their new format was unpleasant to use, imho