Where oh where did my YouTube videos go?

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
BoSoxGal

Where oh where did my YouTube videos go?

Post by BoSoxGal »

I recently upgraded to the latest version of iPhone iOS - 15.1 I think?

Anyway since then I can’t see the YouTube videos folks are linking. I can only see a blank space, so to get the link I have to do a reply quote of the person’s post and cut/paste the linky text into another browser window - pain in the ass.

Just wondering if anyone else is accessing via an iPhone, using latest iOS and having this issue what the fix is, if there is one?

Thanks!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Re: Where oh where did my YouTube videos go?

Post by Joe Guy »

I can’t see YouTube videos on my iPhone either. There is a 15.2 update available now that I haven’t downloaded yet. Maybe that will fix it. But I have 15.1 on my iPad and I can see YouTube videos on it.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm having the same problem with my Mac since the last time it upgraded to Big Sur. I use Safari (the Apple browser for you PC types) - it's not a major problem since if I want to watch the YouTube I just go to the 'Quote text" function - the " button - and pull the YouTube reference off there and put it into the browser. Keep meaning to see if I have the same problem with Chrome which I have on here but have not yet got around to trying. I will let you know.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

You should be able to click the box to follow a link to YouTube on your computer. YouTube has always worked on my phone(s)

Though I wouldn’t put it past Apple to lose functionality on older models
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Though I am running 14.7 at the moment so who knows

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Phone? iPhone? I am on an Apple pro laptop, latest version OS, and I have not been able to see this stuff for about a month.

Thank you BSG, for bringing this up. I thought it was just my usual klutzy computer skills.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:54 pm
You should be able to click the box to follow a link to YouTube on your computer. YouTube has always worked on my phone(s)

What box? When someone posts a YouTube link, nothing shows at all - just looks like an empty post, or there is text if they’ve written something and then empty space where they’ve obviously posted a link that doesn’t show up. The only way to see it is if I first quote their whole post, then the code for linking a YouTube video appears in the quote and I can select the YouTube code and search the web for it to get the video.

I don’t have an Apple laptop so have no idea how updated software is affecting the issue there. I have a fairly new iPhone, the SE2020, running iOS 15.1 and using the Safari browser (by the way, isn’t that the best name ever for an internet browser?).

I will load up Chrome to see if the issue persists there.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Oh as an aside, I really like the new features in Safari iOS 15.1, so I hope this issue is fixable so I can keep using it as my default.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

FYI, same issue in Chrome - blank space no YouTube video shows up unless/until I quote the post then I can see the code.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:54 pm

What I see on my iPhone - and I'm sure BSG does too - is nothing other than whatever someone wrote so there's nothing to click on. I should say, for me anyway, it's a Plan B / Safari browser problem. I can still watch YouTube at its website and on other browsers on my iPhone. I'm upgrading my phone & iPad right now so I'll test it again when they're finished.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:36 am
FYI, same issue in Chrome - blank space no YouTube video shows up unless/until I quote the post then I can see the code.
I was posting when you wrote the above. I'll check Chrome on my phone and see if it works.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

On my iMac I get a box that says content not available. I’m apparently Out of date on my iPhone os

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here’s a screenshot of what a post with a YouTube link in it looks like for me and Joe - it’s from the music thread:
924F582D-92A6-42A1-8216-88425A3B7A0A.jpeg
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Yes, I have the same problem with Chrome and on Edge. I first tested it on a generic browser I downloaded years ago that doesn't save your history. It's called 'Browser' and I guess for now it's the only browser where I can see YouTube videos that are posted here at Plan B (on my iPad and phone). I said earlier that it works on "other browsers" but I was wrong. It worked on the one browser and I assumed it worked on others.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

OS 15.2 doesn't fix the problem. And btw, the problem is the same with my iPad. The other problem is my reading comprehension. When I said earlier that I could see YouTube videos on my iPad I didn't realize that the problem was not being able to view them from within Plan B.

Anyway, I'm no help. I won't post in this thread again unless I have some good information to share.

:loon

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

maybe I shouldn't update just yet

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:45 am
maybe I shouldn't update just yet
YouTube works fine everywhere else I go, it’s just this forum. Likely some incompatibility issue with the forum software and the iOS that will eventually get ironed out. The upgraded features in the newest version of iOS are much more useful than this glitch is annoying, IMHO. It’s really just a few keystrokes to get to the video so really this is the epitome of first world problems.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

This is becoming curiouser and curiouser. I have exactly the same problem on my Mac in Safari but no problem in Chrome.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Test so I don't have to hunt the board for a video.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

TPFKA@W wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:31 pm
Test so I don't have to hunt the board for a video.
Did it work? And have you set the world speed record for shoe-lace tying?
GAH!