I have a suggestion!

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
BoSoxGal

I have a suggestion!

Post by BoSoxGal »

I suggest that everyone who actively participates here should resolve this New Years to triple or quadruple their average daily posting activity.

And lurkers need to start dipping a toe in now and again.

Bunch of cobwebs starting to collect in the Plan B corners, folks.

Carry on. :D
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Re: I have a suggestion!

Post by Burning Petard »

All Righty Then ! I will contribute. Anybody have personal knowledge of the Border Terrier or the German Pinscher dogs? (by the way, 'pinscher' is the German version of terrier.) What is the likelihood of training either to stay inside a non-fenced front yard? Or to ask it another way--can I really expect either to stay out of traffic without a physical barrier?

I have had some experience with the invisible fence. It was useless for my pointer. It just ran faster so the electric shock was of shorter duration.

Snailgate

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I know nothing about those two dog breeds but I'd like to contribute the notion that all dogs should be kept in a physically fenced area (or indoors) when not being walked. Mainly because I would be concerned for the dog chasing someone or something and possibly getting injured or worse no matter how well trained it might be. And of course you also need to consider a dog's jumping ability if it is fenced. Years ago my friend had a part German Shepard and part who knows what?. The dog's (his) name was "Voodoo" He wasn't a large dog but it easily jumped 6 foot fences.

That's my contribution to contributing to this BBS

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Back when I was living in Michigan, I had a 6 foot cyclone fence in the back yard. A 6 year old female Brittany and a 6 month old male German Wired haired pointer played in the back yard. Next door was a female St. Bernard named Hollyhock. She was near full size but very much a puppy. She would CLIMB the fence, totter with all four paws on the top, and then jump down to play with my dogs. She would not go back on her own, no matter how much the neighbors coaxed her.

I am contemplating moving to a house in a neighborhood that does not permit front yard fences. I want to have a dog, but no matter how careful, I think it is possible that the dog could get out the front door. I don't want to loose the dog to a car or cause the potential guilt such might bring the vehicle driver.

snailgate

Gob

Post by Gob »

I promise to be even more rude and obnoxious in 2022, (if that's possible.) But not until after Hen departs back to Aus, (March.)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:39 am
I promise to be even more rude and obnoxious in 2022, (if that's possible.) But not until after Hen departs back to Aus, (March.)
Apparently you should build a taller fence (Snail says) ;)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
I had this in mind when I posted this thread; you are one of the more prolific topic starters in the age after LJ, and you’re going to go off the board probably nearly full time for the next few months - and rightly so!

Others need to step up our games to keep things from getting too quiet here in the bleak midwinter absence of our Welsh cousin.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

We don't all have time to sit in front of our computers enough to post 15,417 times (and counting). If that bothers you, gee, I'm sorry.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:20 pm
We don't all have time to sit in front of our computers enough to post 15,417 times (and counting). If that bothers you, gee, I'm sorry.
In all fairness to BSG, that count is over a period of almost 12 years — 140 months, actually.   That's only 110 per month, on average, or about four posts per day, and that's not at all hard to do.  I've been here for six years this month (72 months) and have 7204 posts (counting this one) — so I'm at about the same rate as she.  And that was while holding down a 40 hour a week job and still having some sort of a life away from the keyboard.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

So? I don't have time for even one post daily. Sorry. There are more important things to do. I don't have time for Farcebook, I mean Meta either.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Gob wrote:
So I guess we'll have the usual kind and gentle Gob until March 2022... :mrgreen:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:56 am
So?
So why waste your one-a-day sneering* at BSG's suggestion that if Gob takes a break from starting interesting (?) threads, it would be useful for others to kick-start some topics.

[*"We don't all have time to sit in front of our computers enough to post 15,417 times (and counting). If that bothers you, gee, I'm sorry"]

I myself managed a modest average of 4-5 posts per day over the past 11 years (following my return from my own snit).
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

it was a good snit though...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:43 pm
MGMcAnick wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:56 am
So?
So why waste your one-a-day sneering* at BSG's suggestion that if Gob takes a break from starting interesting (?) threads, it would be useful for others to kick-start some topics.

[*"We don't all have time to sit in front of our computers enough to post 15,417 times (and counting). If that bothers you, gee, I'm sorry"]

I myself managed a modest average of 4-5 posts per day over the past 11 years (following my return from my own snit).
I have to agree -- I didn't read anything about being bothered by lack of posts, but looking for help in getting the place more lively. There have been various efforts to do the same, but a variety of posters.

MGMc (as opposed to MGM), what do *you* want to talk about today (or whenever it is you sign in next)?
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

What this place needs is the voice of the progressive liberal-just for a nice change of pace. Oh and general male chauvinist’s are seriously underrepresented. Were it not for this I am sure the place would be teeming with posters.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Quit whining!...

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bloody women.