Something to ponder.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Jarlaxle

Re: Something to ponder.

Post by Jarlaxle »

What BSG said. I haven't had any trouble finding 2010 threads, on my PC or my phone.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Hey guys, I have no problem with the "management" of the site, it's minimal, and Reality Bytes and Daisy often still kick in with advice and help, despite not posting here.

The funding being voluntary, all though as fair as can possibly be, (though some still take advantage/the piss,) is a bit random. I'm pretty sure the cost will still be $120.00 or so for a while, but, as I've said, some years one or more contributors will pay up any shortfall, or even the whole amount, other years I've paid up to half myself. That wasn't so bad when I was using the blog, but now it's obsolete is less enticing.

Some have problems chipping in via Paypal, but I think we've addressed that issue in the past, with people being willing to take a cheque and forward me the money via Paypal.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Yes I know how to search posts, but when I do, and actually click on the post, this is what I get:
D54A162C-498D-4D0D-93B5-8894F3404D39.jpeg
D54A162C-498D-4D0D-93B5-8894F3404D39.jpeg (17.34 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Weird, what browser?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Safari - both iPhone and iPad. I have not been able to see the archives for some time now.

I’m glad they are still available. I’ll have to figure out why I can’t access them.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Probably Safaris problem Apple has been having a lot of problems working and playing well with others again.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

If it’s of any use in detangling the mystery, I am accessing the forum on Safari via iPhone running iOS 15.1 and have no problem viewing the archive of posts.

When you search are you searching by key word or what? Are you able to see old threads and posts by the method I described? Obviously that’s not so useful if you are trying to find an exact topic but it might be useful in trying to sort out the technical issue you’re experiencing.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Weird. I'm using Safari on my Mac and have no problems. I did a search for Pauli based on BSG's post of earlier and got 4 returns: BSG's post, Guin's post that BSG referenced; a Wes post but he is on my 'ignore' list (and BTW Wes, if you are lurking, I still read your stuff but I have to do an extra click to see it - if I were less lazy I'd take you off the list) and Gob who for some reason in 2012 referenced Wolfgang Pauli as in the exclusion principle. I do have a Safari problem we have discussed before about seeing YouTube posts but it's a minor inconvenience and does not keep me awake at night.

And Guin now that I know you are a St Pauli girl I see you in a very different light . . .

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I’m on an iPhone 11 and running iOS 15.2, and used my user name to search for posts. I get the full list, but then when I click on any specific post I get the error message posted above. Its been on going for some time, but I could not tell you when.

Do we still have styles here? I will also check on my office PC, which runs whatever microsoft runs these days.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Got it - under my user preferences I was only displaying the last month of active posts. No idea how that happened but changed it to “all” and the full archive is available.

Thanks all, for the help. Glad I mentioned it!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yay! :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

A donation to the upkeep of PlanB just arrived out of the blue. Many thanks to the donor!

Saying thanks here as the donor is closing their Paypal account.

Gob

Post by Gob »

This is an email receipt for your recent payment you just made to
DreamHost Web Hosting.

Time: 2022-02-22 05:05:57
Transaction ID: 27346355
Amount: $17.99 (USD)
Applied to Account #: 396839
Pay Method: "********* (ex 02/26)"

Thank you for your payment! We appreciate your business!
The Happy DreamHost Billing Team

Gob

Post by Gob »

Probably the last time I will be doing that. As I say, I want to shed the financial management of Plan B as it's too hit or miss.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:08 pm
Probably the last time I will be doing that. As I say, I want to shed the financial management of Plan B as it's too hit or miss.
I’m confused. We just asked you about this very recently and you said you didn’t feel any need to pass the responsibility to others. Others are willing, and said so at the time.

Are you just threatening to close the board down, or what? What are you asking for, Gob? Please state your needs clearly, so the others who participate here can make an alternative plan and relieve you of any obligations you no longer wish to have.

Thank you.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

What ze wrote . . .

(showing off my new Scrabble word)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:50 pm
Gob wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:08 pm
I’m confused. We just asked you about this very recently and you said you didn’t feel any need to pass the responsibility to others. Others are willing, and said so at the time.

Are you just threatening to close the board down, or what? What are you asking for, Gob? Please state your needs clearly, so the others who participate here can make an alternative plan and relieve you of any obligations you no longer wish to have.

Thank you.
On this rare occasion I am in full agreement with BSG. I have tried, but can't for the life of me understand what it is you want/need. It is very passive-aggressive/schizophrenic of you.

Gob

Post by Gob »

OK, let's see if this is plain enough;
Some people have been generous in the past, some people have never chipped in a cent. In fact one member funded a couple of years payments on their own. But I still don't think this is a fair and equal way of paying for Plan B, (also I'm a bit fed up of begging for money.)

Suggestions for how the forum can be funded in perpetuity welcomed.
So, what happened today was I got the bill for us keeping the name "Plan B Forum", only $17 so I paid it myself, (in fact the last donor paid it in part.)

But that reminded me that soon I will be asked to pay for my blog space, space which I do not use any more.

So that means I will have to beg for donations, pay all or most of it myself, or walk away and not bother any more, effectively shutting down Plan B.

So Suggestions for how the forum can be funded in perpetuity welcomed.

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:50 pm

The day to day running of the board, the backroom work, as I said RB and Daisy will still chip in on occasion if I'm out of my depth technically.

I'm talking about the
FINACIAL RUNNING, PAYING FOR IT, MOOLAH, SPONS, QUIDS $$$$$.

GET IT NOW?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts