BSG, Be Careful

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Methuselah

BSG, Be Careful

Post by Methuselah »

Making suggestions on improvements here is dangerous. If you don’t understand Voltaire’s Dr. Pangloss’s theory that “All’s for the best in this best of all possible worlds. . . . “ you have unforgivable effrontery in making suggestions here. You are volunteering to be at the bottom of a Fight Club pileup.
I’ll float ideas on things I plan to do, not tell anyone else they have to do the same. After you log in, an icon named “Members” appears at the bottom of the page. It is a long list of people who belonged to this place, including the date of joining and the number of posts. I see many old friends who are no longer active, and some who have never posted. Not sure how that happens. I know some of the people are still active in other sites on the Internet. I’ll find a way of contacting them and encouraging them to come back for a visit. I won’t say who they are to avoid setting them up for the Fight Club. I encourage others to bring old friends back here.

Gob

Re: BSG, Be Careful

Post by Gob »

Oh god he's off again....

Messiah complex much?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You will be permitted a maximum of three threads in which to "float ideas" or otherwise express any opinion on the operation of this board or of any poster. That's it. It doesn't matter if you believe that each idea deserves its own thread, or that others have dragged a thread off topic such that you feel the need to create a new one. Three. No more. And if any of your "ideas" happen to get casually tossed into some other, completely unrelated thread, that will count towards the three. Breach that limit, and everything you have posted previously or will post in the future will be firebombed.

Who am I to impose such a limit on you, you might ask? I'm the guy with his finger on the trigger.

And to show you that I am not entirely unreasonable, none of the threads you have started to date will count towards this limit.

Three threads. That is the length of your leash. Use it wisely.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

" otherwise express any opinion on the operation of this board or of any poster."

And "have fun, but above all ARGUE!"

Huh? OK. I will express an opinion of a poster. Does my tally of three start now--why should I be exempted from rules for 'thuse?

The opinion: The avatar for Scooter is ridiculous. Green skin and horns are silly.

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm just being proactive in an attempt to avoid the pollution of the board by a flood of Meth's yammering about everything that he found "wrong" about the board, and his condescending lecturing about how to fix it. He saw then how that was dealt with; if he wishes to avoid the same now, he will operate within the prescribed parameters.

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

If it bothers you that much, why not just put him on "IGNORE"?

Surely that would be easier than all that copy-and-paste "firebombing" aimed at making certain threads unreadable by anyone else here. (I'm pretty sure we all can simply ignore—or even read!—stuff on our own, without your assistance.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Scooter wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:23 pm
I'm just being proactive in an attempt to avoid the pollution of the board by a flood of Meth's yammering about everything that he found "wrong" about the board, and his condescending lecturing about how to fix it. He saw then how that was dealt with; if he wishes to avoid the same now, he will operate within the prescribed parameters.
I don’t enjoy Methhead’s nonsense and blather but feel, in retrospect, that it isn’t the best way to handle his posting. When I saw his posts I was so hopeful that others would ignore him but of course that could never be the case. I really believe Scooter’s actions fuel the fire.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It got him gone for a year.

You're welcome.

-- Author unknown

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

That's normal for scooter. He regularly proves he has no decency and never did.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Not that I really condone Scooters behavior but meth was spamming the board with his crap and refused to mend his ways after repeated civil requests to stop.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Methuselah

1. Who put Scooter in charge here?

Post by Methuselah »

First of 4 replies.

Methuselah

Squabbles

Post by Methuselah »

2. Burning Petard, that line at the top of the page, “…but above all ARGUE”, misleads the Fight Clubbers here. They interpret as “…SQUABBLE”, I suggest that last word be changed to “ CONVERSE IN A CIVIL MANNER”.

Methuselah

[Deleted]

Post by Methuselah »

2b
Last edited by Methuselah on Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Methuselah

One Trick Pony

Post by Methuselah »

3. Scooter, do you have something less infantile than the Littering Harassment with which to threaten me? Take your finger off the trigger and insert it back in your nose.

Methuselah

Apologies to all

Post by Methuselah »

4. Recruitment of more active members is my current interest. Seeing these silly posts isn’t conducive to getting more people to join in. To quote one of the old-timers I contacted, “I don't know if I'll be more active, it is not rewarding to visit a place where the venom of the few has infected most.” I’m dropping this topic and will ignore other posts on this topic except for PM’s. I’m surprised at how many people have agreed with Scooter here. I’ll change my ways, and henceforth ignore him so I don’t set off more of these exchanges.

Methuselah

[Deleted]

Post by Methuselah »

5?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

6. Profit!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Methuselah wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:05 pm
Making suggestions on improvements here is dangerous. If you don’t understand Voltaire’s Dr. Pangloss’s theory that “All’s for the best in this best of all possible worlds. . . . “ you have unforgivable effrontery in making suggestions here. You are volunteering to be at the bottom of a Fight Club pileup.
I’ll float ideas on things I plan to do, not tell anyone else they have to do the same. After you log in, an icon named “Members” appears at the bottom of the page. It is a long list of people who belonged to this place, including the date of joining and the number of posts. I see many old friends who are no longer active, and some who have never posted. Not sure how that happens. I know some of the people are still active in other sites on the Internet. I’ll find a way of contacting them and encouraging them to come back for a visit. I won’t say who they are to avoid setting them up for the Fight Club. I encourage others to bring old friends back here.
The hysterical stupidity of your initial post fails to take into account that BSG is a founding member of this place, has been a participant here for 12 years, and has one of the highest post tallies. If anyone knows the nature of this board, and the membership here, she does.

For you to be "warning" her just goes to show what an egotistical, insight lacking, stupefying boring, fuckwit, you are. Get someone to explain "irony" to you.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Methuselah wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:05 pm
I know some of the people are still active in other sites on the Internet. I’ll find a way of contacting them and encouraging them to come back for a visit. I won’t say who they are to avoid setting them up for the Fight Club.
The first rule of Fight Club is:  you do not talk about Fight Club.
The second rule of Fight Club is:  you DO NOT TALK about Fight Club!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I tried to understand Meth's initial post - foolish of me but there you go . . . I got this far before I gave up.
If you don’t understand Voltaire’s Dr. Pangloss’s theory that “All’s for the best in this best of all possible worlds. . . . “ you have unforgivable effrontery in making suggestions here.
Well it wasn't Pangloss's theory and Voltaire was using his fictional character to satirize Leibnitz's 'this best of all possible worlds' theory. Leibnitz was a real chap and most famously (at least in my eyes) the mathematician who squabbled with Newton about who was first to describe and use calculus. (In my view Newton was first but they arrived at more or less the same place at more or less the same time, independently.)

Depending on how you define it, Leibnitz, despite his very real scientific and mathematical chops, predated the Enlightenment. He still thought that God had a lot to do with how well things had turned out. Voltaire (born and active 50-odd years after Leibnitz) although not an atheist detested the Catholic Church hierarchy and its influence on all spheres of French life. So when Meth says 'If you don't understand . . ' does he mean 'If you don't buy into . . .' ? I really do not understand what Voltaire / Pangloss / Leibnitz have to do with posting here.