Did times listed in titles of posts change from poster’s local time zone recently?

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Methuselah

Did times listed in titles of posts change from poster’s local time zone recently?

Post by Methuselah »

All times listed in the various forums seem to be in my local time zone, PST now. I seem to remember that in the past they were in the poster’s local time zone. As that varied from South Africa to CA they would jump all over the place. Or maybe in the website’s zone, which I think is Australia. Or is this more evidence that my memory is getting worse?

Scooter

Re: Did times listed in titles of posts change from poster’s local time zone recently?

Post by Scooter »

This is two. Not using your quota very wisely.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Re: Did times listed in titles of posts change from poster’s local time zone recently?

Post by BoSoxGal »

At the bottom of the forum it says: All times are UTC+11:00

Times zones covering the United States run from UTC-5 (EST) to UTC-10 (HST)

So yes I think the board is in Oz time, your OP shows up as Tuesday Jan 11 12:35pm and as I type this reply my phone says 11:58pm Monday Jan 10
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

At the bottom of my screen it says: "All times are UTC-06:00"...which would be CST, which is where I am.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

dales

Post by dales »

All times are Greenwich Mean Time. so there.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

All times are good times...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Apparently if you go to user control panel and edit global settings you can change the default time that appears (UTC+11) to your own time zone. Voilà!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

You have to be logged in. If you don't log in, all times are UTC. (There is a technical difference between UTC and GMT but not enough to make a difference in daily usage.). Once you are logged in times become whatever you set up in User Control Panel.

So when I was lurking BSG's post above said 1:23 pm; now that I logged in it says 8:23 am and the time is now 9:31 AM Eastern.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 am
All times are good times...
These are the best of times, these are the worst of times...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Most people learn their times tables when very young.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Ex-Andy has the clue. While lurking, I didn't log in. I've been logging in now for a while. The time listings for these different logging in choices are quite different. I did see a difference, after it sunk in.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Most of the comments above are incorrect and/or incomplete. Rather than come up with more guesses to muddy up the water, I'll state the facts I have.
At the bottom of my pages, it says "All times are UTC-08:00". That's the correct value for me, as it covers PST, which covers CA where I live. Either Gob set this when he registered me, or the software has some clever way of finding it, from my email address or whatever. If anyone can point to a phpBB document that explains this all have at it. More guesses are counter-productive.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I wasn’t guessing. Open user control panel. Go to edit global settings. Time zone displayed defaults to UTC+11 but the local time zone of your IP address will be offered as an alternative, pre populated in the drop down list. At some point as you navigated around the inner workings, you must have clicked to set that option. It’s a manual process, not automatic.
~ Carl Sagan

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

"Time zone displayed defaults to UTC+11" I've logged in already, so when I logout i don't think it resets the UTC to +11, so I have no way of checking that.
"At some point as you navigated around the inner workings, you must have clicked to set that option. It’s a manual process, not automatic." I don't recail navigating around. A more likely theory is that Gob or the program reset it for me.
A default value of +11 is unlikely. This drops you into China somewheres. Enough discussion for me. I'm dropping this subject at this point.

Update: If its not obvious I can't figure out how to delete muliple posts. Sorry for cluttering things up. I tried to do it with the edit command, but it won't delete posts if someone else has commented on them. It stays locked in the edit mode, where your only out is to hit "submit". The lesson for me is don't try to edit posts that have comments after them. If someone knows how to delete these duplicates have at it.
Last edited by Methuselah on Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

"Time zone displayed defaults to UTC+11" I've logged in already, so when I logout I don't think it resets the UTC to +11, so I have no way of checking that.
"At some point as you navigated around the inner workings, you must have clicked to set that option. It’s a manual process, not automatic." I don't recail navigating around. A more likely theory is that Gob or the program reset it for me.
A default value of +11 is unlikely. This drops you into China somewheres. Enough discussion for me. I'm dropping this subject at this point.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Methuselah wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:23 am

Actually the default is UTC. If you log out, you’ll see that is the case by looking at the very bottom of the front page of the board.

I misspoke by asserting it was UTC+11, that was MY default until I figured out how to change it. And UTC+11 encompasses Australia, Sydney - not far from where Gob lived when the board launched so that seems to be a likely connection but honestly I’m just guessing.

Until you started this thread I had never ever changed the time zone display in global settings and despite moving from MST (Montana) to EST (Massachusetts) the zone was always set to UTC+11 so at least in previous software iterations the board did not detect the poster’s time zone and set it for them automatically. When I went into global settings yesterday I realized it was suggesting my current time zone but I had to manually accept that suggestion so that’s why I asserted what I did. I don’t honestly know how yours got set, you’ve been a bit confusing in setting forth the history of how it changed or if it did from when you first joined/logged in.

And I just would end by gently reminding you that when you raise a question and then get all dismissive and I’m done with this conversation now after folks post responses it comes off kind of arrogant and one wonders why one should even bother trying to engage with you at all.

G’night.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Methuselah wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:25 am
This drops you into China somewheres. Enough discussion for me. I'm dropping this subject at this point.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

BSG, I wanted to give you the last word, but Meade intruded. I do appreciate your acknowledgement that some of the things you said earlier were unsubstantiated guesses. It is futile for us to argue about how it works based on guesses from watching it perform in our work. The only authority that should be asked the questions is someone in the software provider’s company. I hope he isn’t dismissive too. By the way, my memory is very good but is also very short. Australia is all or some in UTC 11. UTC 11 touches China’s Eastern edge. That’s a misuse of the UTC concept, where a country is all in it or out of it, but it is an easier way to line up things from memory rather than longitude numbers.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Methuselah wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:11 am
The only authority that should be asked the questions is someone in the software provider’s company. I hope he isn’t dismissive too.
Then stop asking the questions on the board where only members and guests read - send them to the software developers. You are the only one being dismissive here! :roll:
~ Carl Sagan