RIP DA forum?

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
alice

RIP DA forum?

Post by alice »

I haven't been on any forum much lately, so this may be old news to anyone else who cares, but it would appear the Darwin Awards philosophy forum is no more.
I looked in on it today and it has "account suspended". I went to Wendy Northcutt's (or whatever her real name is - can't remember any more) Darwin Award website, and there is no longer a link to a forum from that website.
I haven't been there for quite some time, obviously, but I'm sure I've looked in since the start of 2011, and I thought I looked in about a month ago or so. So I'm guessing this is a fairly recent development.
I wish there'd been an email warning that the forum was going to end, only, I guess, because I had some old Pm messages that I would have retrieved if I'd known they were going to disappear. Or a couple of people I may have passed my email address to, or stuff like that. And just because it seems, for some reason, that it would have been 'polite' to have just sent a bulk email to any leftover member, or something like that.
There weren't many people posting there the last time I looked in, and it was very, very quiet ... it did seem that something had to be done to revive it or it would dwindle off. So it's 'death' isn't so totally unexpected - just the fact that it was so ... so quietly and painlessly done without anyone at all noticing - not even ex-Darwinites with previous ties to the place who 'usually' seem to hear of such things through the grapevine.
I looked on E-P's site as well, and there isn't a mention there. I don't know where else they would have dissipated to - most of the offshoots that I knew from the old DA forum have gone. The only 2 that I know of left are CSB and EP (with this - Plan B - being a further offshoot from CSB).

The DA forum was the first forum I ever post on, way, way back. I lurked for a good 12 months or more and was getting the newsletter for ages before I ended up joining. Not long after that the CSB began. I was more active in earlier years and my life has changed very, very much in the years since then. I just feel a little flat finding this out accidentally.
Like hearing that an old boyfriend or acquaintance has died - it's not that you're still involved in their lives; it's just that their passing makes you feel that there's and 'end' to something, an era and a time has gone forever and the march of time is changing irretrievably. It reminds me of how long ago that was and how my life was at the time I joined, and how much has happened since then. I guess it reminds me a little of my mortality and how inconsequential we all are in the bigger scheme of things.
How many hours were spent posting debates and discussions, and how many strong opinions argued feverishly - and how little it all mattered, really. And the current state of the CSB just emphasises all of that.
So I do feel a little bit flat, or empty, or hearing of the passing of the DA forum. No matter how it ended, in its heyday it was a really great and vibrant site, and I used to really enjoy the interactions, 'back in the day'.
:ty:
Life is like photography. You use the negative to develop.

The Hen

Re: RIP DA forum?

Post by The Hen »

I met my husband on the Darwin awards.

I am surprised there is no announcement of the cancellation of the forum. Perhaps Wendy is moving software (or something) like the G might be with the old CSB?

If not, vale DAF and vale DAF posters.
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Wendy finally realised the only opinion she was interested in was her own?

I'm glad I downloaded and saved the pages of our initial courtship!

Welcome back Alice BTW.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

alice

Post by alice »

I have been lurking a little bit - just not posting. I'm normally too tired by the time I look in.
And I don't seem to stay logged in, so my lurking wouldn't have been noticed.
Even between this morning and now I was logged out again - I thought I was on 'always remember' but obviously not - so I'll have to adjust my settings one of these days.
I actually had a day off today (yayy) and was having a nice meander through old and familiar places - until I got to the DA forum.

I was wondering if it was only temporary, or a board upgrade or something like that, but I checked her Darwin Awards website, which she separated from the forum ages ago. She used to maintain a link to the forum on that site, but there's no link there any more. There's nothing I can find to indicate it ever existed. I don't know where or how else to look, or who to contact that would know. There was only one or two moderators still there, and only one really active one (I think it was Silverhill), and I don't know how to contact him outside the DA forum.

In the bigger life picture I know it's probably not a 'big deal' but it just seems a bit of a jolt to find it has ended.
Life is like photography. You use the negative to develop.

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

There is a da facebook page, you might find out something there.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

I am not a Facebook member so I am guessing I only have access to the 'wall' posts. There was nothing there to indicate that the forum was going to be removed.

Oh well. Time marches on and nothing remains the same.
Bah!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

alice wrote:I'm guessing this is a fairly recent development.
Very. I was browsing through there 2 or 3 days ago. It's a shame. Whatever one's views on the style of administration, there was a time when there was a lot of intelligent debate there. A lot of idiots as well, but that made it entertaining. I stopped posting regularly there a few years ago, when it seemed that the same tired old soup began to be ladled out in thread after thread (and let me tell you, all-MOTU-all-the-time was scintillating compared to having every single thread degenerate into a subjectivism/objectivism debate :loon )
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Heh. Maybe she forgot to pay her bill? :)
Bah!

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

It's back up again.

Looks like there was a missing Wendy and an unpaid bill.
Bah!

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I guess she didn't make as much on the DA movie as she had hoped.
:mrgreen:

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Wow. I have been over a few times in the last week.

There sure aren't many new posts going dilly a daily basis.

Edited to add: My goodness. Editec has joined DAF.
Bah!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Am I the only one here who has never been to the DAF site at all?

Miles

Post by Miles »

Jarl, you may not be the only one but definately in a rather small minority. :lol:
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I've never been to DAF. Is there something there worth seeing?
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

There was, it's a bit jumped the shark these days, there's only so many "interesting" and "funny" ways people can kill themselves.

The forum there was where me and Hen first met, and led to our marriage, so not all bad then. :D
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sean

Post by Sean »

The DAF was also (in a roundabout way) responsible for the very existence of Plan B...
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

It looks a very poor excuse for the vibrant forum it once was.
Bah!

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

It used to be good and it used to be fun at the same time. Some visions need refinement but one has to see in order to have vision.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

I agree it was a fun and vibrant forum. Any idea what happened?

I can't blame Wendy for it. It doesn't look like she has contributed much over the past couple of years.
Bah!

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Any idea what happened?
It became "same old, same old" (to me anyway).