Independence.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Joe Guy

Re: Independence.

Post by Joe Guy »

I'll join your finance committee! And I wouldn't mind begging for money once a year. I'd be good at that since it's already the way I earn money living here in my cardboard box on the sidewalk (near Starbucks so I can use their wifi).

I'll commit to $25.00/year plus all the aluminum cans I can find, as long as someone else wouldn't mind taking them to a recycling center.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

My offer stands.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Tell us where to send our contributions.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Methuselah wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:46 pm
Tell us where to send our contributions.

When the time comes, M.

And thanks Jarl - if there was only you to rely upon in all the world, there'd only be you. :D
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Meade, have you conversed with Gob by PM regarding your assertion that he’s willing to handle everything as long as we handle getting the funds every year?

Because if not, it seems to me the plain meaning of this quoted post is that Gob is wanting to separate Plan B entirely from his online board etc. and that we would have to manage it all, not just yearly payment.

I stand to be corrected if incorrect.
Gob wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:48 pm
It's the company who host the websites.
It sounds like you would like the theplanbforum.com domain and it's
sub-domain forum.theplanbforum.com (forum) moved to a DreamHost account
of it's own.

If I'm correct, it would be possible to have the other person create a
DreamHost account of their own. All of the data for theplanbforum.com and
forum.theplanbforum.com will need to backed up before moving it to a new
account. Here's a link with information on backing up a website

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215768237

Once you're sure that you have all of your data (web files ,mysql data
and any email). The link below has information regarding moving data
between accounts.

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215413747

In short the following is done to move domains between accounts.

1) Backup your account
2) Remove domain from the current account
3) Sign up for new account
4) Re-add domain on new account
5) Re-upload your data

Feel free to contact us if you would like help from our migration team.
Here's a link with information on our migration service.

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/art ... 0027686731
I'm happy to take on the transfer of Plan B to it's own account. It'll be up to you lot to sort out who is going to manage it all.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:26 pm
Meade, have you conversed with Gob by PM regarding your assertion that he’s willing to handle everything as long as we handle getting the funds every year?
Yes, but outside this board. I too was surprised that he made the offer, given his previous statement.

I interpret his position as (a) he doesn't intend to participate in any conversations on this board and (b) he's not going to pay to keep it going just so we can chat. But he doesn't mind keeping it going (though not on his old blog set-up which it is now) if we are responsible enough to pay the cost and not stick him with it. This is my surmise. He's not said it as such.

I say again.Yes to the first part - he's made that offer. It may not extend to registering new users (or deregistering Jarl) but neither of those things appears likely anyway. I just need to know that it's not just 4 of us willing to be the finance group. I trust y'all to not stick me with it either.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'll be more than happy to contribute as long as I am able to get the system to work. I have had a lot of problems with Paypal--don't know why, so perhaps another way?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm happy to contribute every year but know nothing about how to administer it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Me. too. But I would prefer to send a check to a real geographical addresss Even if it is a UPS mail box) rather than some online service., They are always picking up a piece of the action, just like credit cards.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Well, I suppose I trust you all . . . erm . . . I suppose. If push came to shove. I'd be prepared to share an actual address to send bouncing checks. I don't trust you that much. Maybe Aunt Judy will let me use her address . . . Paypal doesn't cost anything AFIK to people putting money in. But if it must be by that quaint paper check method (the USA is the last place in the world to still use those I think). we can work it out.

Problem really is that you have to trust me . . . Mind, I don't think that gaining $125 is really that much of a grand desire on my side . . .

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Meade--that's kind of you; I have no objection to Paypal per se, it's just that it won't work for me. It used to years ago, I used it on ebay a number of times, but then it stopped working. I'm sure I could get it to work if I knew something about it, but it hasn't worked for several years (and I haven't had any occassion to try and use it during that time except for this board (usually the amount is paid before I get it up and running, so I just stop).

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I do not and will not use PayPal, for a number of reasons. (I personally knew the guy who ran the paypalsucks.com site...which is a major reason.)

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarl knows where I live and I have no issues sharing address and details with snailgate, and probably most anyone else who wants to contribute by luddite means and I could convert that to PayPal - if they would trust me, of course.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

No solution yet? Sorry but time is running out.
As I said, I'll happily look after the running, and payment side, as much as I can. But unless you can agree on a way to get the fees for hosting sent to me, this place will vanish into the ether.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Well, both Meade and BSG have said they would act as an agent/clearing house for people like me who still use paper checks — and I don't see any reason to distrust either of them.   Maybe, Gob, you should reach out to them separately via PM or some other means to see if they're still willing, then make the choice between the two of them.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

liberty

Post by liberty »

When is the deadline? It takes more time when you rely on the Pony Express and the pirogue.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I am definitely sending some $$$ to Gob, if he's still willing to convey the money to Dreamhost. Gob - is your email the same as it was the last time I sent money to you via PayPal?....and again, when is the deadline? (Also, if anyone else here has Gob's email address please PM me; I will also send him a PM.)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

How about a total amount due and deadline rather than threats of annihilation?

And by what means will contributions be acknowledged as received? I sent a contribution last year and it was never acknowledged as received - I’m not looking for thanks but rather to know I am not throwing money into the ether.

It would be good if we could get a total on account as well - was there any left after people contributed last year? Etc.

This is not a lot of work and is customary for any group which solicits contributions from members to meet expenses.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Meade said earlier in this thread that the annual cost is around $120.00.

I'm fine with Meade, BSG or anyone else handling the money - or a committee - but whatever we're going to do I think it's now time to act and we need to come up with a plan soon. I'm willing to contribute, participate or do whatever is needed.

FYI - @W, who, as I understand was a generous contributor, not to mention great at insulting people, is no longer able to access Plan B and apparently Gob hasn't been able to get her reconnected.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Please DO NOT send money directly to me. Meade will be handling all contributions. The reason there is no exact costs posted is that I have not received this years bill. Obviously with inflation and prices rising across the world, I'm expecting it to go up.

This was last year's.

DreamHost Billing Team
07:28 (27 minutes ago)
to me

This is an email receipt for your PayPal payment as scheduled for your DreamHost account.

Your PayPal Account:
Time: 2022-03-22
Transaction ID: 27572198
Amount: $155.88 (USD)
Applied to Account#: 396839
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”