Independence.

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Gob

Independence.

Post by Gob »

DREAMHOST

Having a forum or blog won't make a difference on the pricing. You're
free to host as many domains, forums or blogs as desired on the one
account. Unfortunately, the only way to separate the forum and blog for
billing is to create a different account for the forum or blog.
ME
Thanks Kasey, How do I create a new account for the forum please?
DREAMHOST

Is the sub-domain forum.theplanbforum.com the domain that houses the
forum? If so, a new domain would need to be created to manage the forum
or the top level domain theplanbforum.com with forum.theplanbforum.com
will need to move to a new DreamHost account.

Please confirm the domain that manages the forum to receive more specific
information.

Is there a particular reason that the forum needs to be separated from
the current account?
ME
Yes, I am no longer using my blog, but the forum wishes to continue.

I therefore need to delegate another member to take charge of "owning it" financing it and paying the bills.

Thanks yet again Kacy
TO BE CONTINUED
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Re: Independence.

Post by Burning Petard »

Is 'Dreamhost' an actual person, or an algorithm, or an artificial intelligence sub-routine?

snailgate.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:17 am
Is 'Dreamhost' an actual person, or an algorithm, or an artificial intelligence sub-routine?

snailgate.
I'm guessing it's the name of the domain registrar, like GoDaddy, Namecheap, Bluehost, and countless others.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

It's the company who host the websites.
It sounds like you would like the theplanbforum.com domain and it's
sub-domain forum.theplanbforum.com (forum) moved to a DreamHost account
of it's own.

If I'm correct, it would be possible to have the other person create a
DreamHost account of their own. All of the data for theplanbforum.com and
forum.theplanbforum.com will need to backed up before moving it to a new
account. Here's a link with information on backing up a website

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215768237

Once you're sure that you have all of your data (web files ,mysql data
and any email). The link below has information regarding moving data
between accounts.

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215413747

In short the following is done to move domains between accounts.

1) Backup your account
2) Remove domain from the current account
3) Sign up for new account
4) Re-add domain on new account
5) Re-upload your data

Feel free to contact us if you would like help from our migration team.
Here's a link with information on our migration service.

https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/art ... 0027686731
I'm happy to take on the transfer of Plan B to it's own account. It'll be up to you lot to sort out who is going to manage it all.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Let BSG run the place.   Since she seems to think she's so important and vital to this board that no post can go by without her putting in her two cents worth, she might as well take over the whole damned shootin' match.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Can you go one fucking week without being a total dipshit?

Gob, I'll pay whatever it will cost for the site.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Hey Jarl — eat my shorts.
-"BB"-

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Hang yourself.

Gob

Post by Gob »

So is everybody ok with me handing over ownership of Plan B to Jarl?

Please note, Jarl has contacted me three times in the past wanting to "buy plan B so I can shut it down as it's irredeemably toxic."

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I nominate Datsun, if he is willing to serve.

I am willing to commit to paying 1/3 of the operating costs going forward whether I’m participating or not, but would appreciate an email acknowledgment that funds have been received.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Gob wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:53 am
So is everybody ok with me handing over ownership of Plan B to Jarl?

Please note, Jarl has contacted me three times in the past wanting to "buy plan B so I can shut it down as it's irredeemably toxic."
Nope. I am out if he takes over. I would also stop sending any donations.

So everyone wants him now.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I feel the same way as @W... if Jarl's the final arbiter of who's here, who ain't, and who gets muted/monitored/muzzled, fuhgeddaboudit.

That's why I'm sorry to see Gob wanting to hand over the reins— even though I totally understand the reasoning behind his wanting to do so.   He realized that a mixture of voices are desirable (with the exception of the spammers).   He also realized that we are all adults here and perfectly capable of taking care of ourselves and making our own decisions as to what to say, who to say it to, and when to say it, and for the most part let us do it — merely stepping in to politely remind any of us when we started to cross , whether accidentally or intentionally, boundaries based on a sense of decorum and discourse rather than whether or not a poster's viewpoint meshed 100% with his own.   That is not debate or an exchange of ideas and viewpoints — that is Trumpism, and I fear it's what this board would quickly become if someone like Jarl ended up driving the wagon.

Although there is an evil idea percolating in the nether regions of my heart, telling me to retire my Bicycle Bill persona, turn off all my personal filters, then re-register as someone new, let my asshat flag fly, and like an infestation of gophers on a golf course, totally blitz the Jarl version of this board.   Although that will probably never come to pass ... I've got better things to do.
-"BB"-

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:33 pm
I feel the same way as @W... if Jarl's the final arbiter of who's here, who ain't, and who gets muted/monitored/muzzled, fuhgeddaboudit.

That's why I'm sorry to see Gob wanting to hand over the reins— even though I totally understand the reasoning behind his wanting to do so.   He realized that a mixture of voices are desirable (with the exception of the spammers).   He also realized that we are all adults here and perfectly capable of taking care of ourselves and making our own decisions as to what to say, who to say it to, and when to say it, and for the most part let us do it — merely stepping in to politely remind any of us when we started to cross , whether accidentally or intentionally, boundaries based on a sense of decorum and discourse rather than whether or not a poster's viewpoint meshed 100% with his own.   That is not debate or an exchange of ideas and viewpoints — that is Trumpism, and I fear it's what this board would quickly become if someone like Jarl ended up driving the wagon.

Although there is an evil idea percolating in the nether regions of my heart, telling me to retire my Bicycle Bill persona, turn off all my personal filters, then re-register as someone new, let my asshat flag fly, and like an infestation of gophers on a golf course, totally blitz the Jarl version of this board.   Although that will probably never come to pass ... I've got better things to do.
-"BB"-
This, class is projection.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think it would be good to avoid shit slinging as much as possible in facilitating the continued existence of this forum. Certain posters who post here, myself included, are too disliked by certain other posters to be acceptable as a moderator of the forum. Let it go and move on.

We just need someone to collect the money, pay the bill once per year, and deal with any technical issues that arise by being in contact with DreamHost.

It isn’t rocket science and personally I doubt that anyone here would ever pull the plug on the place unilaterally, but some people are distrustful so the obvious solution is to nicely ask one of the posters who doesn’t seem to bristle anyone to pick up the reins of these tasks that keep the doors open and lights on and preserves the archive of wonderful exchanges we have with our dearly departed friends.

Again, I nominate Datsun - he has no prior knowledge of my intent to offer him up and I apologize if he would rather not.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not rube, not lib, not me, not jarl, not BSG (self removed), so that leaves.... er no one? Dats.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I nominate Meade.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I agree that datsunaholic would be an excellent choice, probably the best, if he's willing. Others to consider might be Crackpot,
ex-Khobar Andy, Big RR, Joe Guy, eddieq, or Bicycle Bill. (Guinevere would also be excellent, but I guess she's dropped off for good?) NONONO to rubato, BSG, @W, Jarl, Methuselah. And some of us (including myself and a few others — hey, y'all know who you are ;) ) are probably just too old to take on a chore like this.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Please don't.

I am certainly not unbiased and I have several members on here on block. Pretty hard to moderate when there are folks I can't stand enough to simply ignore and have to block so that I don't have to accidentally see their drivel.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I also would nominate BSG for the job.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think that the list of people who shouldn't hold the keys to the kingdom is actually quite short. Meade, for example, counts himself out as unacceptable but I don't know that anyone here would object to him - I certainly wouldn't, despite our sometimes heated disagreements on various topics. Andy would be great and had offered to do the job, but then subsequently withdrew his offer - would he reconsider? Econo, Big RR, Sue, Eddie, Crackpot, Snailgate - lots of good options.

I wouldn't have objected to Jarl except for Gob's revelation that he has repeatedly offered to buy the place to shut it down. Jarl says such outrageous things at times that it is difficult to know his true intent, but that alarms me. In the past when I've been very frustrated with what I perceived as bullying here, I have begged to have my account deleted and been ignored, but it would never in a million years occur to me to want to firebomb the place. It still makes me sad that the CyberSoapBox was nuked into the ether, and I would like this place to stay in existence until nobody wants to come here anymore. I still sometimes spend an hour or two here and there re-reading some of the better discussions on various issues in politics and law that included really great contributions from Andrew D and Lord Jim. And the music recommendations thread is a thing that brings much joy and I would hate for it to go away.

Anybody who has the keys should be fully committed to keeping the lights on and to absolute free speech, all personal feelings aside. The ignore function works wonders. Only spambots should be banned.

It makes sense to me that there should be two people with the keys to the kingdom, especially considering that we are all at least middle aged if not elder and shit happens. We all saw what happened to Le Chat House because the keys were held in sole possession. A collective ownership and governance would be ideal.

Perhaps the best place to start is by asking people who are willing, to unambiguously state that they are willing to hold the keys and do what appears to be minimal work in administering the place. I am assuming that Datsun's response is an indication of unwillingness? I would ask him to reconsider only because he referred to moderation and there really isn't any on this board - I used that term mistakenly in a prior post, but what we are really looking for here is a behind the scenes role managing payment and connecting with DreamHost when technical issues arise. There is no moderation of the Plan B forum.

Once we have a list of members willing to serve, perhaps it would be good to have an election of co-administrators by a vote of the participating members over a few weeks' time, and proceed from there. I believe the functionality exists for the vote to be anonymous so everyone's feelings can be spared - the elected would be the two top vote getters in a poll, for instance?

Or, maybe the majority of posters don't really care all that much if the place goes *poof* - in which case, it is what it is.
~ Carl Sagan