A hook

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
@meric@nwom@n

Re: A hook

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Are you being a little sinker?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

just something else to harpoon.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

No Greater Fool

Post by No Greater Fool »

@meric@nwom@n wrote:Are you being a little sinker?
Couldn't you came up with a better line than that? :twisted:

Timster

Post by Timster »

All very clever. But the main point remains.

How do we achieve new membership?

I like the idea of "key words"

But I think we need to be a bit more selective...

Maybe something more in tune with what we do here as apposed to lesbian goat fucking.

Just saying.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Lesbian goats need love too.
Bah!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Timster wrote: I like the idea of "key words"

But I think we need to be a bit more selective...

Maybe something more in tune with what we do here as apposed to lesbian goat fucking.
What do we do here?

Free opinions on any subject?

Entertainment for thoughtful and dysfunctional adults?

Massage for the mind?

Face it... lesbian goat fucking would get more hits.

We have about 50 people registered right now. That's certainly enough to keep us entertained. Others will stumble in here now and then. Very few strangers will stay.

We are here because we all are fairly familiar with each other. That's not what will attract others but it is what attracted us to this place.

I say we've got a good lot here already and will survive with or without new membership.

That doesn't mean I don't want new people to show up here. But what kind of people typically go to a place like this where it is obvious that the people are familiar with each other?

Usually trolls who want to stir things up...

Unless you want to make this place specialized, as in Cartalk, Electronics, Dildo repair etc. There is no 'hook' to describe this place that will draw others in.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Really? people really wan to watch homosexual goats fornicating?

Gob already started a thread for that I believe.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I agree with Joe with two caveats.

We should encourage those who have registered to join in. (The good atmosphere her eat the moment will help immensly with that)

We should encourage others, friends, members of other boards, etc to join up.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

G-Man use to promote the site of voting sites.

You didn't get too many people but some stayed and posted.

I am all for encouraging friends to join. I'll give my lot another whirl.
Bah!

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

OK. After due consideration, this really isn't a hook. Rather it is a possible option to consider implementing at any stage should we get any members that post unsubstantiated attacks on other members.

Consider a Call-Out room.

If someone has had (in their opinion) an unwarranted, or unsubstantiated attack on themselves and been misrepresented, they could call the perpetrator of the attack out to a 'Call-Out' room. A 'call-out' would have a limited time-frame, so it isn't something that continues to infest every second post on this Board.

The person 'calling-out' would state their case and the person they called-out would be able to rebut. There could even be a set of 'call-out' rules devised so everyone knew what the boundaries for such actions were.

The 'debate' over the 'attack' could take place over a week. At the end of the week, there would be a Poll Question raised to seek general members views on the winner of the call-out.

The winner could have some kind of acknowledgement under their name. Perhaps a halo or some such 'good guy' symbol. The loser could have a pair of flaming shorts as the symbol for 'Liar, liar. Pants on fire'.

So not a hook at all really, but does anyone think it might be worth consideration at some point?
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Interesting concept.

I hope we'd never need that, but as with the ways of these things...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

It could be a place to sort things out when arguments get too heated. If nothing else, it will get the two combatants talking to one another.

Besides, if we are marketing this place as a place "to have fun, relax, but above all argue", then we ought to sort out strategies (before we need them) should the worse case scenario occur.
Bah!

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

The foe button is great if you have a major annoyance in your posting life. Makes it very easy to ignore folks who would tempt you with trouble.

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

Foe buttons also have their problems. When the CSB instituted the ignore button, there was an influx of socks to get points across.
Bah!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Not that I recall. At least no more than usual.

in fact I recall Mediator actually ceasing his baseless accusations for a while.

Timster

Post by Timster »

I see your point Crackpot. But didn't he start right back by using people's quotes of people he was pretending to ignore?

Ugly can of worms...
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer-

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

yeah but he did that anyway. :lol:

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

The Hen wrote:OK. After due consideration, this really isn't a hook. Rather it is a possible option to consider implementing at any stage should we get any members that post unsubstantiated attacks on other members.

Consider a Call-Out room.

If someone has had (in their opinion) an unwarranted, or unsubstantiated attack on themselves and been misrepresented, they could call the perpetrator of the attack out to a 'Call-Out' room. A 'call-out' would have a limited time-frame, so it isn't something that continues to infest every second post on this Board.

The person 'calling-out' would state their case and the person they called-out would be able to rebut. There could even be a set of 'call-out' rules devised so everyone knew what the boundaries for such actions were.

The 'debate' over the 'attack' could take place over a week. At the end of the week, there would be a Poll Question raised to seek general members views on the winner of the call-out.

The winner could have some kind of acknowledgement under their name. Perhaps a halo or some such 'good guy' symbol. The loser could have a pair of flaming shorts as the symbol for 'Liar, liar. Pants on fire'.

So not a hook at all really, but does anyone think it might be worth consideration at some point?
Oh hey, it's a trial! With the membership as jurors! I can get behind that idea. I think a week is a bit long to let something like that run, though. Complainant should state his/her case, respondent should offer a defense/counter-complaint, each side gets one shot at rebuttal, then the community makes the call after a limited period for discussion/deliberation (in which the parties may not participate). Perhaps there should be a range of specified "punishments" that could be selected depending on severity of offense?
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I'm available for representation - but only to posters who meet indigency determination. :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan