Fight! Fight! Fight!

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
Sean

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Post by Sean »

The last thing I want to see here is the board being contaminated by feuds, fights, vendettas etc as happened at the CSB.

So as I did at the CSB I am putting forward the suggestion of a 'flames' forum.

There are (for example) things I would like to post on the CSB thread which have nothing much to do with the CSB. I would like to start a new thread to keep the crap out of that one but wouldn't feel comfortable about putting it in any of the existing forums.

A 'flames' forum may or may not work but I for one think it's worth a try. It's also of course a place that any members who don't want to read people's arguments could easily avoid.

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Insults? (Yes Timster, I'm looking at you... ;) )
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

The Hen

Re: Fight! Fight! Fight!

Post by The Hen »

Until recently I wouldnt have thought it necessary. We had been in existence for over a year without any significant issues.

There is always the ignore button I suppose. However, I am historically crap at complying with it. :D
Bah!

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'd vote for using the ignore buttonn, as there will only be fights over what is to go in the "Flames" forum :)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

The Hen

Post by The Hen »

True. I'll keep practicing. However there is also a lot to be said for getting issues out into the open. Then they can be tackled head on and gotten over rather than any continued festering which seems to be occurring.

For example, all the whittering that is going on about "who missed the G's last birthday thread" and "if not not posting on the CSB you are against the G" from Lo seems to be coming from some underlying turmoil that she has.

Is it best to ignore this, or is it best to try and give her a hand to overcome her demons?

I just don't know. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Anytime I have posted at either of G's Boards recently I have been trolled away by Lo who then is upset that she is on her own.

:shrug
Bah!

Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm a firm believer in trying to sort things out. I'm just trying to find a way of being able to do this whilst not pissing off the rest of the membership.

As for fights over what goes there, I think most people here have the civility to take things over there if requested.
Why is it that when Miley Cyrus gets naked and licks a hammer it's 'art' and 'edgy' but when I do it I'm 'drunk' and 'banned from the hardware store'?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I'd vote for using the ignore buttonn, as there will only be fights over what is to go in the "Flames" forum
I agree. I don't think a "flames forum" will do anything but increase and spread the overall quantity of drama. People will have all sorts of different standards over what constitutes a "flame" and arguments will start going on in numerous threads over what should or shouldn't be moved there.

A "flames forum" is a sort of structural version of "Politeness Cop"....in fact it invites everyone to become Politeness Cops...
ImageImageImage

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Not a fan of a flame forum as such.

Sometimes I think an argument or flame should be taken out of a thread if it's disruptive. Just start a fresh thread wherever it seems appropriate.

Hopefully after the latest dramaticals there won't be enough flame threads to warrant their own box.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Fair enough Dais. I'm just suggesting an appropriate location for the fresh thread.

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

How about using News and Suggestions as a semi-unofficial place for it. This or General Stuff, are the topically neutral areas of the board.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Sometimes I think an argument or flame should be taken out of a thread if it's disruptive. Just start a fresh thread wherever it seems appropriate.
That seemed to work pretty well recently, in getting a dispute out of a thread where it didn't belong and containing it...

I believe another unintended consequence of a "flame room" would be to encourage people to shift from direct insults to indirect passive aggressive insults, so they could try to claim that they weren't flaming. (Which in my opinion is worse). If you were to ask Gwen, for example, whether or not she had ever personally insulted anyone, she would steadfastly insist that she hasn't though obviously she has done so many, many times.

And because everyone will have a different standard, I also see a real potential for this to be over used. I really would not care to see discussions breaking out in threads about whether or not someone needs to go to the flame room every time one posters says that they think the opinion another poster expressed is "nuts"....
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

How about using News and Suggestions as a semi-unofficial place for it.
That would be appropriate Daze...

Afterall, when you think about it, "Go fuck yourself" really is a "suggestion".... 8-)
ImageImageImage

Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Lord Jim wrote:
Afterall, when you think about it, "Go fuck yourself" really is a "suggestion".... 8-)
:ok

@meric@nwom@n

Post by @meric@nwom@n »

Technically "Go fuck yourself" is an imperative. 8-)

dales

Post by dales »

In the realm of politeness....

"Go fornicate with thyself".... is more appropos.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I agree with what Daisy has suggested. It's worked before.
:ok

Sean

Post by Sean »

Daisy wrote:How about using News and Suggestions as a semi-unofficial place for it. This or General Stuff, are the topically neutral areas of the board.
I'm happy with this. I just wanted to make sure I didn't put any crap in the wrong place.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

The Hen wrote:
Is it best to ignore this, or is it best to try and give her a hand to overcome her demons?

I just don't know. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Anytime I have posted at either of G's Boards recently I have been trolled away by Lo who then is upset that she is on her own.

:shrug
Wot? Oh Jeez, it's like she hasn't been listening. The boards and life are two different things, which shouldn't be muddled/mingled.

yeah-yeah, I know-i know, but jeezus understand yer limits woman, and accept the situation.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

A 'Flames Forum' is not really the answer, in my opinion.

At this point, it appears, unless I've missed some things (I haven't read a lot here recently), that this idea is based on LoCAtek's current rant and ensuing arguments.

My suggestion is that when someone goes into flame mode, we all confine our input to the thread in which the problems began rather than starting others and carrying on with the same issue.

Designating a forum for flaming would encourage flaming for those who are so inclined.

However, the best solution is to simply ignore anyone who is obviously looking to stir up the shit.

But then again, I know from past experience that many of us cannot ignore things like that.

We all want to express our opinions on subjects that are unusual or provocative, and people acting weirdly is an attractive subject.

But let's be thankful that here we don't have the Gwenabler, who was influenced heavily by Steve & editec rather than intelligent though process.

There will be flare-ups occasionally, but that's the nature of any BBS.

dales

Post by dales »

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

My suggestion is that when someone goes into flame mode, we all confine our input to the thread in which the problems began rather than starting others and carrying on with the same issue.
The only problem with that is the thread in which it started is hopelessly derailed.