Jesus hates your pagan Easter ham

All things related to the general running of the forum - got a suggestion? Here's where it should go.
oldr_n_wsr

Re: Jesus hates your pagan Easter ham

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Filet Mignon for Easter again.
Asparagas, mushrooms, roasted potatoes, pea and carrots....
yum yum

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I did a beautiful rack of lamb, quiche Lorraine, green beans almondine, fresh fruit, mimosas, with a tray of assorted pastries and chocolates (including my grandmother's buttercream easter eggs which I also made) for dessert, with more champers. It was fabu, and the best part is that there are TONS of leftovers!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I worked all day and got to see those fine Christians who never show up to visit except at Christmas and Easter to entertain the oldsters. If only those fine Christians would volunteer a bit of their time throughout the year. You can see in their eyes how fine they think they are being showing up and bringing their worthless trinkets to spread about.

As for the oldsters they got a gnarly looking slice of water and salt infused ham and some other unidentifiable crap.

Happy Easter.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I worked all day cooking for my oldster Mom, who is currently living with me.

Not all of us with elderly parents suck. Really.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Guinevere wrote:I worked all day cooking for my oldster Mom, who is currently living with me.

Not all of us with elderly parents suck. Really.
Oh these aren't family members, they are from the local churches. I absolutely despise them, they come in and visit twice a year and pat themselves all over their backs for it. While in the building they manage to set the alarms off on the doors, lock the bathroom keys in the bathrooms and generally create chaos. At Christmas they bring worthless crap in that the residents can't even use. Last Christmas one male resident brought me a pair of size 6 pink ladies slippers he was given and asked that I give them to a lady that they might fit. They just wrap up Dollar Tree crap randomly and pass it out. They give diabetic patients candy, they give solid candy to people on pureeed diets.

They make me puke.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Yes, that is obnoxious, and totally missing the point. I have a friend who works as an activities director at a retirement/senior home and she has such fun with her charges. I wish people could see that there is still a ton of life in those old folks!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Hope you all had a lovely holiday in any event.

We reenacted the Exodus by crossing the sea out of Jersey dry-shod and then wandering the wilderness of Staten Island for 40 minutes before entering the Promised Land of Brooklyn, where we celebrated with both the Paschal Brisket and Paschal Turkey (there was a multitude of 30 or so to feed) as well as elaborate an assortment of veggie dishes to satisfy the vegan nieces & nephew (the stuffed mushrooms and the cannellini casserole were terrific). Easter dinner was a simple meal of prime rib, asparagus, baked potato and romaine salad, with a delicious Cotes du Rhone.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

at Easter brunch I got Bacon and Prime Rib on the same plate. I'm sure I violated some laws about the amount of awesome you can have in one spot with that one.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

We reenacted the Exodus by crossing the sea out of Jersey dry-shod and then wandering the wilderness of Staten Island for 40 minutes before entering the Promised Land of Brooklyn,
You didn't bring down The Walls Of Yonkers?
ImageImageImage

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Lord Jim wrote:You didn't bring down The Walls Of Yonkers?
No, but we did pick up the Cohens of Bay Ridge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

One of my grandmothers is from Bay Ridge. She moved to Baltimore before she ever started elementary school and still, at times, you could hear a teeny bit of that Brooklinese in her voice!

Gob

Post by Gob »

We had beetroot risotto, with poached marlin in Indian spices, wilted leeks, and cheese scones.

Followed by poached pears with brownies.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Bay Ridge? That's where I grew up (at least until late junior high). My neighborhood was starting to look pretty ratty when we left; now it's rebounded and my old house was just listed for quite a bit of money. If only my grandmother held on to it...

Actually we had a nice dinner as well--7 (well really more like 5) hour lamb, spinach, asparagus, and a number of other sides with a nice chardonnay and a couple of pinot noirs. I should make lamb more often--I forget how good it can be.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Guinevere wrote:Yes, that is obnoxious, and totally missing the point. I have a friend who works as an activities director at a retirement/senior home and she has such fun with her charges. I wish people could see that there is still a ton of life in those old folks!
I have to give Kudos though to the Catholics. One lady had a Catholic roommate and they gave both great gifts that were more personalized, even though the roomie wasn't Catholic, and even better, after Catholic lady died, the church still gives non-Catholic lady great Christmas gifts. (Very nice robes, slippers, soft, good quality sweat sets, novels, nice puzzle books). Best of all you never see them come or go.

I think I will go become Catholic when I get ready to head to a home.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It's that time of year again, I'm heading to mom's tomorrow so I thought I'd bump the thread a bit early to wish everyone a Happy Easter. (And yes, we will be eating ham at some point).

Maybe I'll make some of these:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I suppose it's OK to mock the torture of a human being.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Filet Mignon at my brothers house on Sunday. Closest thing to ham is the bacon on top of the Filet Mignon.

Happy Easter to all.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:I suppose it's OK to mock the torture of a human being.
I presume you are referring to these as being a reminder/representation of the Stigmata; the scars left in the hands, feet, and side of Christ from the nails used in the Crucifixion as well as the lance with which the Roman centurian Longinus confirmed His death on the cross (John 19:33-34; KJV).

But they were not torturing a human being.  Jesus Christ was the Divinity, merely in human form.  Think of Zeus taking the form of a swan and ravaging Leda, or another time when he either became or sent a white bull to carry off Europa.

And secondly, if the 'victim' is going willingly, is it really torture?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Is that worse than celebrating it?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Is that worse than celebrating it?
The celebration is the triumphant risen Christ, old bean. "Good" Friday is a day of mourning and grief. We mourn the sacrifice and celebrate the victory through which and by which all are saved who can be saved.

BB - Jesus was 100% human and 100% divine. Leda/Zeus mythical and non-existent. Yes, it was torture. "Willing" you say? Jesus said, "Not my will but thine be done". He went to the cross obediently but wished there had been another way to save humanity other than his taking the entire punishment for our sin. 0/100 on your Christology paper :nana
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts