And Now A Word From Our Sponsor

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
RayThom

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Re: And Now A Word From Our Sponsor

Post by Joe Guy »

Too long. They should have shaved about 48 seconds off of the commercial.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Tick tock, dinosaurs! :mrgreen:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I think that commercial is a clever attempt to sell more razors in the women's market, even though on the surface, it looks like it's aimed at men...
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I think they stubbled their toe. Look for an uptick in Dollar Shave Club sales.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

They’re selling the Gillette brand now, not just razor cartridges - which can be had much cheaper. And I’m sure in designing this ad campaign, they’ve carefully considered the massive spike in sales realized by Nike after they launched the Kaepernick ad campaign. Lots and lots of women buy Gillette - for themselves and their spouses.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston ... M/amp.html

If any of us gave a shit about the planet, we’d ditch plastic shaving devices entirely and all learn to cope with a good old fashioned straight razor.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:... If any of us gave a shit about the planet, we’d ditch plastic shaving devices entirely and all learn to cope with a good old fashioned straight razor.
Ah, the good old "cutthroat" razor. I have one and I refuse to use it. I've seen Sweeney Todd, you know.

Plastic or death? What a great way to cull the male masses.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Considering the endocrine disrupting properties of many plastic polymers, that’s a Catch-22 you got there. Or a no-win? I always confuse those . . .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... agers/amp/
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Bisphenol A... male birth control.

dales

Post by dales »

Men (and women) should just stop shaving altogether.

Save the planet! :ok

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:If any of us gave a shit about the planet, we’d ditch plastic shaving devices entirely and all learn to cope with a good old fashioned straight razor.
You first.  I'll keep on lathering my face with Barbasol and scraping it off with my old double-edge safety razor... just like the one my old man used to use.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

And since I don't give a shit about the planet, I'll stick with my Fusion5...
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:Considering the endocrine disrupting properties of many plastic polymers, that’s a Catch-22 you got there. Or a no-win? I always confuse those . . .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... agers/amp/
The woman who started the ED ball rolling (isn’t it curious, BTW, that ‘endocrine disruption’ and ‘erectile dysfunction’ share initials?) was Theo Colborn, who wrote Our Stolen Future and is a personal hero of mine. She deserves to be in the same list as Rachel Carson (Silent Spring) for her influence on the thinking about the ecological toxicity of some chemicals. For some reason I can no longer recollect, Dr. Colborn and I shared a podium at a League of Women Voters (!) meeting in NY around 2005. She died three or four years ago. I treasured a copy of Our Stolen Future which she had signed for me: unfortunately I lent it to someone years ago and never got it back when I left that company. Dr Colborn is very relevant to the topic of this thread - toxic masculinity. When I met her she was close to 80; thin and wiry, probably 100 lbs soaking wet; a bundle of energy - but if your superhero has to be Batman-shaped, she wasn’t it.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

No, if we gave a shit about the planet, we would all stop using any and all mean of removing any body hair. When ever only one standard is applied universally to all questions, it quickly gets absurd.

Who here carries the fashionable folding metal tube for public consumption of all drinkables? I gave one to my wife and she used it once.

snailgate.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

FUSION 5
Gillette Now Including Free Manly Side Bag With Every Purchase

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

When you start using that many blades it ain't a razor; it's a food processor.
("It slices, it dices, it minces, it shreds, it cuts julienne fries!!  And it's yours for only $9.99 plus shipping and handling.  But wait!!  There's more....!")
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Admittedly I didn't look it up, but what in the **** would a bladed razor handle need a BATTERY?
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

It is also a vibrator. Multi-tasking?

snailgate

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

RayThom wrote:FUSION 5
Gillette Now Including Free Manly Side Bag With Every Purchase
I think I'll pass on that...(unless of course the Manly Side Bag also comes with the Macho Matching Pumps...)

You may think five blades is excessive, (I had been using three blade razor for years until I got this one as a stocking stuffer a couple of Christmases ago) but once you try it if you go back to a one blade razor (which I had occasion to do on an overnight trip when I forgot my razor and had to pick one up at a convenience store) man, you can sure tell the difference...

The five blade razor really provides a very comfortable and effective shave...(Of course if you're the sort of person who thinks there's something morally superior about enduring pain, by all means stick with your 1950s model... 8-) )
ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

The only 4-blade razor I tried was worse than a 3-blade razor.

yrs,
rubato