Soccer vs football around the world

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
TPFKA@W

Soccer vs football around the world

Post by TPFKA@W »

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Soccer vs football around the world

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not sure about southern Africa but I suppose that Ireland, Australia and the USA usage of soccer is explained by the abomination of games that each has decided to call "football" in defiance of logic.

Gaelic, Ozzie Rules and the colonial game all involve carrying the damn ball in the hands - the very antithesis of "foot" ball.

At least the rugby people had the decency to stick "rugby" in front of it and use that word as the general descriptor, although the pansies in rugby union do far too much kicking instead of playing like the real men of rugby league.

Ahem
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

<translation>Damn those feisty colonials </translation>
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Ozzie Rules and the colonial game all involve carrying the damn ball in the hands-the very antithesis of "foot" ball
And I always thought the goalkeepers were part of the football team and played football. Thanks for straightening that out.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Right, Big RR. You are sooo clever! :lol: Goalkeeping isn't exactly the purpose of the other 20 players on the pitch though, eh? In fact, handling is verboten, even for the goalie outside the penalty area.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

. . . although the pansies in rugby union do far too much kicking instead of playing like the real men of rugby league
Them's fighting words, Meade. It reminds me of the aphorism, attributed to Churchill, that "Rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen, and football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans." Churchill, if indeed it was he, being a Harrow man was obviously referring to Rugby Union - I doubt he was even aware of the game payed by those too lazy to be hooligans, the layabouts of the Rugby League world.

Of the non-English alphabets I can tell you that the Russian is just a transliteration (as opposed to a translation) of 'futbol' as are the Arabic, Farsi and Urdu transliterations over Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan. The Arabic over N Africa and the Saudi peninsula is actually a translation 'kurah qadem' of 'ball foot.' The Greek also appears to be a straightforward transliteration of football.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Right, Big RR. You are sooo clever!
Why thank you; I know it is difficult for you to give praise like that. :nana

And, FWIW, I do think the other players can sometimes throw the ball in from the sideline. So another touching of the ball. Just another clever observation. :lol:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

YYUR YYUB ICUR YY4ME

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:lol:

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

This whole topic is offsides, since no one understands it in any event.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

An attitude like that will get you a yellow card.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Plenty of people would get a kick out of that.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Perhaps; kicks just keep getting harder to find.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I guess we can't get anyone else to play. I did get the ball rolling, though.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I gave it a pass

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Is the header misdirecting?