Seinfeld's rant about political correctness killing comedy didn't age well...

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Scooter

Seinfeld's rant about political correctness killing comedy didn't age well...

Post by Scooter »

... he probably should have waited until after Tom Brady's roast on Netflix. There was not a sacred cow left standing.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Seinfeld's rant about political correctness killing comedy didn't age well...

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Trash talking about trash (comment on the Brady show, not you Scooter). And no, of course I didn't watch it. The lead-up ads were enough to point the dial toward vulgar rubbish.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Re: Seinfeld's rant about political correctness killing comedy didn't age well...

Post by Joe Guy »

I remember when celebrity roasts were somewhat funny. Now they're sickening. I saw some highlights of Brady's roast and they were embarrassingly stupid. I've lost whatever potential respect I might have had for a lot of so-called celebrities.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I did not see the roast (and have not seen one for a long time, but there is a lot to be said for eschewing political correctness under the right circumstances. Lenny Bruce made a career of it, and some of his routines I have heard are pure genius. But the point is, the audience has to know what to expect so they can make a choice. There are many comedians I don't find funny and I avoid them; everyone can make the same choice. The fact that someone else finds it funny doesn't affect me in the least.

But then I see political correctness as a matter of etiquette and not something that should be enforced by law or some higher authority.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I read a few of the jokes on Boston.com, and have heard about some of them in other media.

What I find sickening is that Brady leapt ferociously to the defense of Bob Kraft when someone told a joke about his happy ending massage, but he sat there and let his ex wife and children be skewered including multiple jokes that targeted his concern for his kids and he made one himself that basically threw his kids under the bus and I guess that just confirms everything I always assumed about him and his character.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I tend to agree; Brady is a jerk, always has been, and is only out for number one. He played football well and earned his money, but that doesn't make him any less of a jerk. Were his ex-wife and kids there?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:06 pm
I tend to agree; Brady is a jerk, always has been, and is only out for number one. He played football well and earned his money, but that doesn't make him any less of a jerk. Were his ex-wife and kids there?
I don't believe they attended.

But Gisele Bundchen is quoted in a Boston.com (free Globe) piece stating that she's supporting her kids in the aftermath of the roast which she found 'very disappointing.'

Those comedians said some really nasty things about Brady's kids' mom as well as telling many jokes basically underscoring that Brady's kids are not his priority in life, and you can be sure that whether they watched it themselves or not, they are hearing about it from their peers. Teens are pretty atrocious these days and social media is brutal.

I'm not really sure why Tom Brady even did this roast - he's rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams and has a loaded future ahead of him, he certainly didn't need the publicity. If he had some reason for doing it, he should have considered setting some ground rules around mudslinging at the women who gave birth to his kids (Bridget Moynahan and her son were also targets of jokes) and who have done well beyond the lion's share of raising those children while he indulged his primary loves in life - his own body, and football.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There probably could have also been fewer references to Aaron Hernandez being a murderer, even if they never mentioned him by name. Probably the first ten times was enough.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown