garden of eatin'

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
kristina

Re: garden of eatin'

Post by kristina »

wesw wrote:Kristina, I think that I grew the same variety. I had trouble convincing the people I gave them to that you couldn t wait until they were red.

they were de-licious, I saved some seed....
Saving seeds is a good idea wes; any pointers? I've never done it.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

wesw

Post by wesw »

well, for the cherry toms I just let the toms dry out on the vine and put the seed containing husks in an envelope or jar. I also have a table under the eve of my shed where I dry stuff out and it gets sun and little moisture.

for the big toms what I did this year was to smush up over ripe and choice tomatoes on a piece of window screen and let the stuff dry out,

then I just scraped the dried schmutz off and separated the seeds, not worrying about cleaning them, I just leave the stuff on the seeds for a little nutrition as they germinate next year.

you have to use heirlooms tho,, or you don t know what kind of tom you will get. some hybrids produce horrible toms if you save their seeds.

i don t don t know if all my heirloom varieties will cross pollinate or not, and produce their own type of tom, we ll see.... i just thru all the heirloom seeds in an envelope and i ll have pot luck next year.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

kristina wrote:And then there are the persimmons. Hundreds of them. I don't have clue what to do with them.
A bit late with this, but here's another article for you, kristina: How to eat a persimmon like a pro.

Note the difference between the hachiya and fuyu persimmons (which do you have?). I always thought I didn't like persimmons, but it turns out I just don't care for the hachiya variety. After rubato mentioned his crop of fuyus last year I bought a few of those out of curiosity and loved them.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

kristina

Post by kristina »

Econoline wrote:
kristina wrote:And then there are the persimmons. Hundreds of them. I don't have clue what to do with them.
A bit late with this, but here's another article for you, kristina: How to eat a persimmon like a pro.

Note the difference between the hachiya and fuyu persimmons (which do you have?). I always thought I didn't like persimmons, but it turns out I just don't care for the hachiya variety. After rubato mentioned his crop of fuyus last year I bought a few of those out of curiosity and loved them.
Thanks! I have a hachiya tree. I had to prune off a lot of branches about a month ago (they had broken under the weight of the fruit). I also removed (and tossed) a bunch of the unripe fruit to lighten the load. So far, I have recipes for persimmon cookies and a persimmon pudding. Too bad I rarely eat, and even less rarely cook, desserts! Off now to hunt up some savory recipes.

BTW, it's a lovely tree, especially in winter when it has shed all its leaves and is loaded with bright orange fruit.

wesw

Post by wesw »

three eagles were just soaring above my yard.

they were screaming.... and fighting.....

the buzzards didn t seem bothered by the eagles above them.....

there is a buzzard colony nearby..., down the power lines..., they and the eagles sometimes catch updrafts above my block.

I saw the colony once, many years ago...., it was morning and the buzzards, about a hundred of them, were in the trees..

...all had their wings spread out, drying them from the morning dew, I d guess.....

they looked like a hundred vampires , ready to swoop down on me....

I ve never gone back to that place..... too creepy for me....

RayThom

Garden Of Eatin'

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:... I like my mustards to have some kick...
My favorite is: (image) Hot Mr. Mustard...
Have you tried Colman's Powdered Mustard?

Mix it with a little water and a few drops of distilled white vinegar and you have a mustard that's not only tasty but clears your sinuses, too.

I put that shit on everything, but roast beef is my favorite pairing.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I love trying out new speciality mustards, it's one of the few areas in which I constantly broaden my culinary horizons.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

well it is hard to give away veg these days....

...no one is too hungry....

not like when I was a kid....

still, it was better then...

no one starved, rent was low, and people survived.

we were more free then.

especially the kids.....

none the less, I plan to expand the garden this year because I expect turmoil

I m hoping that we neighbors stick together, but nothing is guaranteed.

I have faith, but if we get too hungry it won t be pretty.

I am not prepared if the shit hits the fan.

I wish I was closer to the water where food is easily available.

maybe next year....

...maybe not

wesw

Post by wesw »

anyway...., enough about politics.....

I have started the tomatoe seeds inside, some of them,

I have some redskin potatoes sprouted, I just need to wait for the ground to dry a bit,

and I have a big pack of snap peas ready to go into the ground as soon as it is ready.

maybe ill try some lettuce.....

I need some seashells , but lime is cheap and I ve never used it......

I also need to scrounge up some compost, I ve been using old bark and dirt for a potting mix..., we ll see how it works.....

dales

Post by dales »

Grow some cannabis, wes.

It's good for what ails you.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

you re preaching to the choir brother.

I m scared tho.....

you can have an ounce here, no problem, 100 bucks and on your way, but everyone excepting me has a med card anyway, it seems....

....if you grow some tho, they want to jail you and fine you and take your poor rotor tiller....

seeds are hard to get too....

...ain t that a kick in the ass?

of course, big ass tomatoe plants can hide a few stragglers.....

8-)

dales

Post by dales »

Find a nice BLUE STATE and your troubles (as far as growing cannabis) are over.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

wesw

Post by wesw »

well, in a year or two it ll probably be cool everywhere....

RayThom

Garden Of Eatin'

Post by RayThom »

wesw wrote:well, in a year or two it ll probably be cool everywhere...
... and probably BLUE everywhere, too.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:I have started the tomatoe seeds inside, some of them,
I see you must have gone to the same school as Dan "P-O-T-A-T-O-E" Quayle.....   another example of how well the Republican Party tends to confirm the Peter Principle.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

wesw

Post by wesw »

you are silly.

good argument, tho....

very learned.

are you an antifa senior guide?

wesw

Post by wesw »

I hope that my redskin potatoesdo well....

...no peeling!!!!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:are you an antifa senior guide?
No, if you want to classify me or compare me to anything, it would be the little child in the Hans Christian Andersen story about "The Emperor's New Clothes".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

wesw

Post by wesw »

nah, I ll stick with antifa halfwit....., that is my picture of you....

don t worry, I view BS Gal as daffy duck now...

...youre despicable, she said, with her tongue flapping and the spittle flying......

I am bugs bunny and spongebob s love child, they ran off with penelopie pitstop one weekend, and nine months later, there I was.......