garden of eatin'

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
wesw

garden of eatin'

Post by wesw »

well, I know that no one really cares about my garden, and I see your eyes glazing over when I post about it, but post about it I often do.

I may as well consolidate the all crap into one thread so that you may easily ignore it

so , here it is, my garden thread.

first topic..., mixed greens. don t buy mixed greens seeds. reason? I am without reason, no wait, that s something different...

reason..., although mustard greens may look like curly kale, they don t taste like curly kale...

I thought that some one had poured some noxious foreign substance on my greens at first, then ifigured it out.

it tasted like the stuff at Chinese restaurants.

BoSoxGal

Re: garden of eatin'

Post by BoSoxGal »

Try making it into mustard. ;)
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

I thought about that, but I don t like spicy mustard. French s yellow for me :). I will go as far as goulden s, but I m not putting grey poop on anything....

I have radishes, but I don t like them either.

if a food has a bad sounding name it just ruins it for me. eggplant sounds bad enough and it s in the deadly nightshade family. I ll pass....

asparagus..., sound like spare guts, no thanks

avocado ? just sounds yucky

kiwi fruit? nuts to that..., they look like hairy nuts so the visual is bad too

potatoes au gratin , potatoes are rotten, that s what my sister and I used to call the ones out of the box that my mom used to make

muskrat? not a chance....

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I bet you would prefer to eat something that is killed and sliced to pieces or something that comes out of a chicken's butt...

wesw

Post by wesw »

mmmmm. bacon and eggs....

I like veggies, tho I don t eat enough of them. I kill them and slice them too tho, so I don't see much difference.

beans, greens, corn, peppers , nicely named foods, even broccoli , tho the name is a bit too exotic for my tastes......

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Grey poupo sucks but I love me different mustards.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

French s yellow
That's about the only one I don't like...They make a brown horseradish mustard that's not bad...

I like my mustards to have some kick...

My favorite is:

I like Dijon mainly for dressings and marinades (it's also good to mix into hamburger meat; gives the burgers a nice tang)
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

What's more dangerous than a bacon tree?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I grow parlsley. Not for me, for the black swallow tail butterflies. They lay their eggs and the larvae eat the parsely then cocoon then emerge. Got plenty of larvae last year but none of them made cocoons on the stick Iput in the pot. I hope they went elswhere to cocoon.
This year I am making a "tent" around the plant to make sure the birds don't eat them.

wesw

Post by wesw »

crap, severe t storm warning and I haven t even staked my tomatoes yet.

who s a lazy carrot then?

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I haven't planted anything yet
I did weed a bit a couple of weeks ago. Have to weed some of the other gardens.
The azaleas are in bloom. The purple one took a beating this winter but the others are doing well.

wesw

Post by wesw »

well older, I posted here last night, I thought, but it s not here now. i won t try to re create the post, i ll just cut to the chase.....

did you get any planting done yet, and just how far north do you live? i know you like to snowmobile, so it must be fairly cold where you live....

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

wesw wrote:well older, I posted here last night, I thought, but it s not here now. i won t try to re create the post, i ll just cut to the chase.....

did you get any planting done yet, and just how far north do you live? i know you like to snowmobile, so it must be fairly cold where you live....
I live on Long Island but have a house in north eastern Pa where I snowmobile. I have also hauled the snomobiles up to Canada, Tug Hill NY, Maine and Vermont.

My wife did a bunch of planting this past weekend. The son is between jobs so he helped her out a lot. I was busy turning a wine barrel into a wine rack. One of the sons friends asked me to do it as a birthday present for his wife. Her Birthday is June 4th. I finished all the wood construction part now I have to take it all apart and sand, stain and poly it.

When done it will be similar to this one.

wesw

Post by wesw »

cool wine rack....

I m doing a project myself. after I built my son a chicken coop my daughter was a little sad because she has been wanting me to build her a tree house for years

so...,I m in the middle of building her a backyard gazebo with observation deck on top, out of old oaken pallets from my sons work. should be a pretty cool place for her to do her artwork outside....

a few years ago I would have had it done in one weekend, now it s a bit slower but I m still gittin' 'er done....

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Did you ever watch "Treehouse Masters"? These guys build really elaberate treehouses. Not the pallets, scrap plywood we made as kids. Full blown cottages in the sky.
Really remarkable but I would guess very expensive.

wesw

Post by wesw »

I ll bite meade, what is more dangerous than a bacon tree?

eta- yeah I ve seen a few episodes, older. not realyl impressed with the workmanship tho....

creative, yes. beautiful, yes. still standing in ten years? doubtful....

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

A bacon tree is not dangerous, but it is critically important that you properly identify it first. . . .
. . . . . . ------> Otherwise, you could be walking into a ham bush.

:beat
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:lol: :ok
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

That one never gets old. Thanks for the set-up! :ok
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

<exhausted giggle>
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké