Lord Jim would be proud of me

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
oldr_n_wsr

Lord Jim would be proud of me

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Lord Jim, you are wearing off on me.

I sat down and watched TV last night. Even better, I watched the debate.

this was after I drove my daughter to the dog shelter to pick up her rescue dog that got spayed. Part border collie, part lab. 6months old. A little shy but she's coming out of her shell. She didn't hide from my dog like she did the first time they met.

:mrgreen:

Maybe I'll watch some more TV after my meeting tonight.

Joe Guy

Re: Lord Jim would be proud of me

Post by Joe Guy »

That's a little scary, oldr. Soon you'll be smoking cigars and shopping for a velvet picture of Ronald Reagan to hang on your wall... :mrgreen:

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

So how is the dog generally? Around here "Collie" even in a mixed breed, means lots of health problems.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

My part-border-collie dog just passed away 15 years old; never sick a day in her life until the last few months when she suffered from vestibular disease (tyical in old dogs regardless of breed) and likely the effects of undiagnosed cancer. I have never known a smarter dog or a more interesting personality; living with border collies or GSDs (she was a mix of both) is like living with human toddlers as they are very smart and can be very challenging - tell your daughter to make sure her pup gets lots and lots of exercise!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Burning Petard wrote:So how is the dog generally? Around here "Collie" even in a mixed breed, means lots of health problems.
Seems to bo ok. Had a little kenel cough which is almost gone. She's only 6 months and my daughter has only had her under a week with one day back for spaying. Only the future will tell.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

A smart dog means alot more work for the rest of the family. Sort of like having a really smart kid in the household. Both can be much more interesting and fun.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

My old girl is border collie/lab. Smartest dog ever. We never could keep her fenced-she found multiple ways to escape. Now I can outrun her at least. You know you are in trouble when you have to resort to spelling in front of the dog.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I'm reminded of my mother's beagle. No fence could hold that dog! He never went anywhere, he just didn't seem to like being inside the fence.

A couple times, he climbed the fence, walked around the house...and scratched at the front door until someone let him in.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

wesw

Post by wesw »

I have a border collie-lab too, black. a little over 2 yrs old now

smart, fairly well trained, really good with small children, and protective of them.

if the baby cries she comes to get me if I don t go check fast enough.

no more shoe eating either, so that s good.

she has a mange problem tho.

it got bad last winter when I was laid up and didn t pay attention.

I have it under control now, but I can t seem to totally get rid of it.

I use a sulpur product as the other treatment can kill collies, I think.

it s an immune thing as to why she is affected by it, most dogs fight it off and all are exposed to it apparently. it doesn t spread to the cat.

it s the type with the mites in the follicles.

I thought that her immune system had matured as they sometimes do in the first two yrs, but it came back recently and I m treating it again.

she s a good dog tho. we like her.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

she has a mange problem tho.
I have heard good things about "Dinovite". Don't know about it taking care of mange but more than a few pet people I know swear by it for skin problems with their dogs.