The Colin Kaepernick Effect?

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
oldr_n_wsr

Re: The Colin Kaepernick Effect?

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

for inspirational, courageous play
Kneeling during the national anthem is not part of "play". On the field, doing what is expected of you at your position, is part of "play".

But heck, if your play is not "up to snuff", I guess one needs to make a statement elsewhere.

dales

Post by dales »

Joe Theismann slams 49ers for giving Colin Kaepernick award

Updated 8:45 am, Wednesday, January 4, 2017

NEW YORK (AP) — Former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann isn't happy with the San Francisco 49ers' decision to give Colin Kaepernick an award for "inspirational and courageous" player.

Kaepernick sparked a national debate by kneeling during the national anthem before games as a way of protesting racial injustice and police brutality.

Kaepernick received the Len Eshmont Award last week. The prize is described as the team's most prestigious honor; its recipient is decided by players.

Theismann called on the NFL to adopt a policy requiring players to stand for the anthem.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"Theismann called on the NFL to adopt a policy requiring players to stand for the anthem."

Such a policy would mean that standing for the national anthem was a sign of respect for potential hit to the paycheck and not an indication of any respect for flag or country.

snailgate

RayThom

The Colin Kaepernick Effect?

Post by RayThom »

Burning Petard wrote:"Theismann called on the NFL to adopt a policy requiring players to stand for the anthem."
Such a policy would mean that standing for the national anthem was a sign of respect for potential hit to the paycheck and not an indication of any respect for flag or country.
snailgate
I second that emotion.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

The rules for the award give the decision to his teammates.

Not you, not LJ.

And they are in a better position to judge his character than a bunch of closeted racists.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Burning Petard wrote:"Theismann called on the NFL to adopt a policy requiring players to stand for the anthem."

snailgate
A policy forcing NFL players to give up their free speech rights to conform to his knee-jerk beliefs.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And they are in a better position to judge his character than a bunch of closeted racists.
Well rube, you caught me...

If a white NFL player had decided to protest a social cause by refusing to stand for the national anthem, and then bragged about not voting, I'd be cheering him on and applauding him for his "inspirational courage"...

Yessiree bob, everything I've ever posted on this board clearly indicates that... :loon :loon :loon

ETA:

BTW, that's another really good example of mindless rubato bashing...

In this case, mindless rubato bashing other posters with groundless, idiotic smears of racism....

Apparently he wants to pick up where "Mediator" left off...
ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

Tomorrow, we hear that Albert Schweitzer does not deserve the Nobel peace prize because his organ playing was not really all that good.

yrs,
rubato

You are a pig ignorant lot so I will review the facts for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Schweitzer
Albert Schweitzer, OM (14 January 1875 – 4 September 1965) was a French-German theologian, organist, philosopher, and physician. He was born in the German province of Alsace-Lorraine and although that region had been reintegrated into the German Empire four years earlier, and remained a German province until 1918, he considered himself French[citation needed] and wrote mostly in French. His mother-tongue was Alsatian German.

Schweitzer, a Lutheran, challenged both the secular view of Jesus as depicted by historical-critical methodology current at this time in certain academic circles, as well as the traditional Christian view. His contributions to the interpretation of Pauline Christianity are noteworthy because they concern the role of Paul's mysticism of "being in Christ" as primary in importance rather than the secondary doctrine of Justification by Faith.

He received the 1952 Nobel Peace Prize for his philosophy of "Reverence for Life",[2] expressed in many ways, but most famously in founding and sustaining the Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Lambaréné, now in Gabon, west central Africa (then French Equatorial Africa). As a music scholar and organist, he studied the music of German composer Johann Sebastian Bach and influenced the Organ reform movement (Orgelbewegung).

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

rubato wrote:Tomorrow, we hear that Albert Schweitzer does not deserve the Nobel peace prize because his organ playing was not really all that good.

yrs,
rubato

You are a pig ignorant lot so I will review the facts for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Schweitzer
Albert Schweitzer, OM (14 January 1875 – 4 September 1965) was a French-German theologian, organist, philosopher, and physician. He was born in the German province of Alsace-Lorraine and although that region had been reintegrated into the German Empire four years earlier, and remained a German province until 1918, he considered himself French[citation needed] and wrote mostly in French. His mother-tongue was Alsatian German.

Schweitzer, a Lutheran, challenged both the secular view of Jesus as depicted by historical-critical methodology current at this time in certain academic circles, as well as the traditional Christian view. His contributions to the interpretation of Pauline Christianity are noteworthy because they concern the role of Paul's mysticism of "being in Christ" as primary in importance rather than the secondary doctrine of Justification by Faith.

He received the 1952 Nobel Peace Prize for his philosophy of "Reverence for Life",[2] expressed in many ways, but most famously in founding and sustaining the Albert Schweitzer Hospital in Lambaréné, now in Gabon, west central Africa (then French Equatorial Africa). As a music scholar and organist, he studied the music of German composer Johann Sebastian Bach and influenced the Organ reform movement (Orgelbewegung).
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Possibly another attempt at "humour"?

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I believe he may be trying to compare a mediocre football player refusing to stand for the national anthem to Albert Schweitzer...

(As ludicrous as that sounds, since he earlier ridiculously attempted to compare him to Martin Luther King, I wouldn't put it past him... :loon )

If that is what he is trying to do, he has once again succeeded in being humorous in his usual unintended way... :lol:
Last edited by Lord Jim on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

dales

Post by dales »

And I was going to nominate rube for "Plan B Person Of The Year".

That tears it. :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

I did last time, he always gets my vote.

He keeps exalted company.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Whatever.
Fellow players want to give him (CK) some award, so be it.

Personally, I would just like to see the team win a bit more (just like I want the Jets to win a bit more).

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Report: Kaepernick will stand for national anthem next season

NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick reportedly will stand for the playing of the national anthem next season, ending a protest that started a national conversation and spread across multiple sports at all levels last season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Kaepernick, who is expected to opt out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers and become a free agent,[Good riddance] believes that his message about police brutality and social equality has accomplished his mission of starting a dialogue. [LOL...Kaepernick has had precisely as much effect on the race relations "dialogue" as Trump had on last month's job creation numbers...]

Kaepernick, Schefter said, no longer wants the protest to detract from what he sees as positive changes. [And just what would those "positive changes" be, Colin?]

Kaepernick protested police brutality by remaining seated on the bench during the 49ers' first two preseason games, a move that went unnoticed because he didn't play.

By the third game, he was in uniform and conspicuous by his presence on the 49ers’ bench.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," he told the NFL Network.

"To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

As the season began, he switched to kneeling during the anthem, a form of protest that other NFL players and athletes in other sports adopted.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/repo ... Y4EJRT93I/

Gee, a cynical person, (which of course would not be me) might think that he made this decision not because of all the great progress in race relations , but because he's become a free agent and he doesn't want teams to treat him like kryptonite because of a controversy they'd rather not have...

Nah, that couldn't be it...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You're still talking about it, aren't you?

Millions of whiny snowflake NFL fans talked about it, didn't they?

That's more effect than the deaths of black men in police custody had on most of those NFL fans.

But I do agree with you insomuch as the only dialogue most of them engaged in was derogatory comments about Kaepernick - likely racist comments from many millions of them, no doubt.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

You're still talking about it, aren't you?

Millions of whiny snowflake NFL fans talked about it, didn't they?
I'm talking about Kaepernick now, because a new development occurred in the Kaepernick story (his decision to show proper respect for the National Anthem that just happens to coincide with his decision to become a free agent...after the season the Niners had, he probably realizes he ain't their "quarterback of the future"...)

Through his misguided and misplaced "protest", Colin Kapernick succeeded in getting millions of NFL fans, (and millions of others) to talk about "Colin Kaepernick" ...

A "topic" that most people had probably never thought of talking about before...Anyone who thought there wasn't enough dialogue about Colin Kaepernick should be very happy, because Colin Kaepernick certainly changed that...

On the topic of race relations, (as opposed to the topic of, "Colin Kaepernick") I don't believe Kaepernick's actions stimulated one single word of discussion...

Because of a whole series of events that had occurred around the country prior to Kaepernick pulling this wrong-headed stunt, race relations, (and particularly minority community relations with police) had gotten enormous and sustained press attention, (this continues to be the case, and it should be) and this is what has stimulated discussion about the issue...

What Kaepernick did didn't amount to a fart in a hurricane in that regard...
likely racist comments from many millions of them, no doubt.
Anyone who condemned Kaepernick who would not also have condemned a white NFL player for engaging in the same form of protest, could be accused of having a racial motivation...

But I strongly suspect that most people who found his protest offensive and disrespectful, would be equally condemnatory towards any player who decided to refuse to stand for the National Anthem as a protest for a social cause, without regard to their race...

I certainly would be...

And I would have just as much criticism and condemnation for any white player who decided to follow that protest up by bragging about not voting...

(As Kaepernick did)
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

But I strongly suspect that most people who found his protest offensive and disrespectful, would be equally condemnatory towards any player who decided to refuse to stand for the National Anthem as a protest for a social cause, without regard to their race
Just as we all must have been anti-woman or anti-comedienne when we were outraged by Roseanne Barr's ridiculous treatment of the national anthem. There are a few things that the vast majority of American people find sacrosanct, like the flag and the national anthem, and they are unhappy when someone uses those to make their "statement."

Jim hit it on the head when he noted that this new stance is 100% about Kaepernick trying to get himself another shot at an NFL team. Teams will put up with players who are distractions if they are very good at their position, but if they are mediocre (like Kaepernick) why bother when you can find another player of comparable ability who has shown the judgment not to make a spectacle of himself.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

they are unhappy when someone uses those to make their "statement
I disagree; any ass can scream some of the foulest things while waving a flag and many will cheer them on so long as the message is right or alt right. If someone were to wave the flag at a pro death penalty rally many people would cheer the use, but many more would condemn the use of the same at an anti-death penalty rally. The Christian right can have a flag right next to the cross and spew its political rhetoric, but I doubt many would give the moslems the same courtesy. hell, I've seen people criticize undocumented immigrants for carrying the flag in their rallies, but cheer when Arpayo does it.

Fro amny, the flag is only a sacred symbol when it's used by those on the right.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Colin Kaepernick Was Right About Us

Colin Kaepernick was right about us, white America.

He was right to kneel because when he did, he fully exposed us.

He exposed us as we became viscerally disgusted, not by the reckless disregard of black lives, but by the earnest and open declaration of black grief at their premature passing.

He exposed us when we felt it was our right to tell another human being how to express their personal freedoms, during an anthem supposedly devoted to celebrating those personal freedoms.

He exposed us when we treasured flags and songs over flesh and blood; when we repeatedly ignored dissenting facts in order to hold on to our easy and lazy outrage.

He exposed us when we chose to listen to the words of a divisive white President over athletes of color, as to their motives and intentions.

He exposed us as we had the stratospheric nerve to lecture him about the right way for him to protest as a citizen of this country.

He exposed us when we chastised him for the manner in which he expressed his freedom, because it was a little too “free” for us.

He exposed us as we saw all of these things, and still remained silent.

And he’s exposing us now, those of us who are burning shoes and cutting up socks and boycotting Nike—because a strong man of color who will not be shamed into silence or allow us to make the rules, still makes our blood boil—which is the most telling and tragic truth of all.

Privilege is a terrible disease, because it is invisible to those most fully afflicted with it. When most deeply in the throes of the heart sickness, they cannot see themselves, or the reality of the moment. They do not require data to be disgusted or truth to craft the narrative of their suffering.

They simply feel fear, even when it is unfounded; oppression, even when there is none; offensive, even when they have no cause.

If you’re seething right now, this is a symptom.

If you’re still doubling down on some imagined defense of “America” while simultaneously seeking to deny people of color America’s most elemental liberties—you’re proving Colin Kaepernick right.

If you’re still refusing to believe the player’s voices over the one in your head or in a President’s tweets or in an angry country singer’s rants—you’re showing why Kaepernick was correct to protest from the very beginning.

You’re confirming the very reason his knee first hit the turf two-year ago: because too many white people want to go through life undisturbed by any reality of their advantages.

They will do anything not to be inconvenienced by the ugly realities of a system that they are the greatest beneficiaries of.

They will be profoundly pissed off when a person of color intrudes on their entertainment with a dose of sobering truth about life and death.

They will follow the most convoluted, nonsensical thought lines, if this allows them to quiet marginalized people and to evade culpability for their own prejudices toward those marginalized people.

It isn’t surprising that the folks so violently shaken by Colin Kaepernick, profess to defend a freedom they don’t like him exercising.

They’re the same ones saying that they love both America—and a draft-dodging, Russian-beholden, POW-belittling President.

They’re the same people who say they want to rewind and reclaim America’s “greatness”, while ignoring how much suffering and injustice that supposed greatness created for so many.

They’re the same people who claim allegiance to both Jesus and to Donald Trump.

Cognitive dissonance doesn’t register when you’re white and terrified of losing your dominance.

By kneeling, Colin Kaepernick let us do the work for him.

He didn’t need to belabor the point, he just let us show ourselves.

He allowed white America’s responses to reveal who we are.

He saw something ugly in us that we didn’t and still don’t want to see.

And he was right.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown