The Colin Kaepernick Effect?

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
rubato

Re: The Colin Kaepernick Effect?

Post by rubato »

The trouble with pretending indifference in this form is that it requires effort and thus ... is self contradicting.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

you made a dumb comment, admit it.
ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think admitting to making dumb comments is a capital suggestion rube...

So I suggest you get cracking...

If you apply yourself diligently to the task, 10 hours a day seven days a week, you'll have a fair chance of being finished by Thanksgiving...

That of course would only cover Plan B...

If you also want to admit to all the dumb things you said at the CSB and the Cafe Darte, you're probably looking at staying busy through Valentines Day....
ImageImageImage

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

oldr--is this just people setting up on their own, or something sponsored/sanctioned by the stadium?
From what I know (which isn't much) it is people on their own. They set way in the back of the lot where there are usually plenty of open spaces for the length of the game. IIRC it was $10per and like a buffet. Brunch stuff along with burgers/dogs/ribs... and BYOB. They even had a big screen TV to watch the game.
I would imagine that if the stadium was invloved it would cast much more than $10 a head (probably $10 a burger) :shrug
I think a bunch of people go for the tailgate only and don't have seats for the game.
If it's a nice day, I guess it beats sitting inside at BWW on a bar stool.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Interesting; I'm surprised the stadium would permit that sort of competition. :lol:

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

Big RR wrote:Interesting; I'm surprised the stadium would permit that sort of competition. :lol:
They may not be there any more. This was in 2012 I think. Back when the stadium was new and the whole "take the train to the game" first started.
But I know last year (I think it was last year) there were some big ass tailgating going on. Big bbq's, big screen TV's, sound systems, generators, etc. Kind of hard to police when everyone says they are there with "him" who has the big bbq and they are just chipping in for the food/booze.

But I do understand your point.

We used to be able to bring in what we called "Jet Juice" which was green kool aide mixed with a gallon of vodka.
No way you get that into the stadium now.
And if you go up for beers, they limit you to two at a time. When you're with a group of 4, two have to go up and get beer for the group.

ETA
and no tailgating was another knock on the pipe dream that was the west side stadium.

dales

Post by dales »

49ers lose eighth straight, comeback thwarted by Cardinals field goal as time expires

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

dales

Post by dales »

What a LOOSER!
49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick may be the focus of an American political movement, but he has never been a voter, according to records obtained by The Sacramento Bee.

The Bee reports that Kaepernick, who grew up in Turlock, has not registered to vote anywhere in California since reaching the legal voting age in 2005. Nor did Kaepernick register in Nevada during his time as a college student in that state.

Kaepernick made no secret of his decision not to vote in last week's presidential election, telling reporters, "I think it would be hypocritical of me to vote. I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression. I'm not going to show support for that system."

It had not previously been revealed that the quarterback skipped all elections, including the the 2008 and 2012 elections of the nation's first black president.

Beginning this preseason, Kaepernick became the focus of a national debate on free speech and race relations when he refused to stand for the national anthem during NFL pregame festivities in protest of police shootings.

"To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way," Kaepernick said after the protest gained attention in August. "There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Beginning this preseason, Kaepernick became the focus of a national debate on free speech and race relations when he refused to stand for the national anthem during NFL pregame festivities in protest of police shootings.

"To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way," Kaepernick said after the protest gained attention in August. "There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
And this is going to get better under the Trumpster's racial purity and ethnic cleansing policies exactly how?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

bicycle bill, I believe you've slipped a sprocket or two.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

dale, are you yanking Bill's chain?.... :D

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Just read this in a comment on someone's Facebook page:
I heard on KCBS (San Francisco) radio this morning that Colin Kaepernik did not vote, and in fact has NEVER voted. My opinion of him and his protest have altered somewhat.

Can anyone here confirm whether or not this is true? If it IS true, I've just lost any respect I had for his protest (and you will recall that I was one of the ones here who defended him and expressed my respect for him).
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

From the Sacratomato Bee:
Kaepernick, who was raised in Turlock, turned 18 in 2005, but he has not registered to vote in California at any point in the last decade, according to records maintained by the California Secretary of State. He also did not register in Nevada while he attended the University of Nevada, Reno, from 2006 to 2010, according to the Washoe County Registrar of Voters.

That means he missed presidential elections in 2008 and 2012 – when Democrat Barack Obama was elected president – in addition to a variety of state and local elections in other years.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-gov ... rylink=cpy
On the one hand, it is fair criticism to ask how important these issues are for him if he doesn't bother to vote. On the other hand, either his argument makes sense or not, whether or not he votes. His rationale, fwiw, is:
“I said from the beginning I was against oppression, I was against the system of oppression,” Kaepernick said. “I’m not going to show support for that system. And to me, the oppressor isn’t going to allow you to vote your way out of your oppression.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:arg :evil:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Basically turns his protest into apathy doesn't it.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I don't agree.

He makes a great point - the oppressor doesn't let you vote your way out of oppression. Look at the information (nonpartisan, readily available) about which counties in which states experienced the greatest voter purges following the SCOTUS decision eviscerating the Voting Rights Act. Look at where the polling places were dramatically reduced in number. That has been a concerted effort of the Republican party at the state level, along with gerrymandering in the extreme. Had Clinton gotten only tens of thousands more votes in those places, she would have won the EC along with the popular vote.

He's right, the system is oppressive to people of color and intentionally so. If not voting is his way of making a statement about his frustration with what he sees as a rigged system, along with taking a knee at the anthem, I've got no beef with that. He can burn a flag too, if he likes. It's his Constitutional right. I may not like it, but it doesn't negate the truth underlying his concerns.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Yeah, that 12 million dollar per year chump must really feel "oppressed". :lol:

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

You honestly don't think someone can be a millionaire and still feel oppressed? What does one have to do with the other?

rubato

Post by rubato »

Colin Kaepernick had a political awakening recently and it has changed how he behaves. His prior indifference to voting merely restates that fact. How he will integrate his new understanding with his behavior we will learn over time.

People learn new things and it changes them. When they aren't stupid knee-jerk racists, that is.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

Big RR wrote:You honestly don't think someone can be a millionaire and still feel oppressed? What does one have to do with the other?

Has he ever said that he is oppressed?

The ability to feel compassion for people not yourself who are oppressed and find common cause with them is surely a laudable trait and one which is necessary for the reformation and improvement of society.

yrs,
rubato

dales

Post by dales »

Big RR wrote:You honestly don't think someone can be a millionaire and still feel oppressed? What does one have to do with the other?

Let me know when your 12 mil rolls in and get back to me. :ok

yrs,
rubato