A good beer and a nice Stilton cheese

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Gob

A good beer and a nice Stilton cheese

Post by Gob »

And you have Stilton beer!

A by-product from the Stilton cheese-making process has been used to make a new East Midlands beer.

Blue Brew is a "chestnut coloured ale", made by mixing whey with wort - water and barley liquid - before fermenting.

Colin Brown from Belvoir Brewery in Leicestershire said it tasted "creamy" rather than cheesy.

Stilton - produced only at dairies in Leicestershire, Derbyshire or Nottinghamshire - has previously been used to make a perfume and a milkshake.

Martin Taylor of Long Clawson Dairy said: "It sounds like it could be awful, but it doesn't taste of mouldy blue cheese. It has a smooth rounded flavour - quite delicate."

Nigel White, secretary of the Stilton Cheesemakers Association, said: "People often think of Stilton as a cheese just for Christmas and forget how versatile it is.

"Traditionally the whey from cheese making would have been fed to pigs. We wondered if it could be used for other purposes and Belvoir Brewery has now made a new beer."

Video on page

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

tyro

Re: A good beer and a nice Stilton cheese

Post by tyro »

"Traditionally the whey from cheese making would have been fed to pigs. We wondered if it could be used for other purposes and Belvoir Brewery has now made a new beer."
Now that is the best endorsement I’ve ever heard.

Hey! We made a beer out of it because the pigs grew tired of it.

Seriously, I thought whey was in big demand by the health fitness crowd.

Or is there some new connotation with the word “pig”?
A sufficiently copious dose of bombast drenched in verbose writing is lethal to the truth.

loCAtek

Post by loCAtek »

Could have been worse, they could have made Vegemite.

rubato

Post by rubato »

The English are displaying their genius for turning industrial waste into food.

yrs,
rubato

Rick

Post by Rick »

rubato wrote:The English are displaying their genius for turning industrial waste into food.

yrs,
rubato
LOL

Can't help myself, that there is funny... :lol:
Sometimes it seems as though one has to cross the line just to figger out where it is

Miles

Post by Miles »

I have decided what kind of beer I like best.................COLD :nana
I expect to go straight to hell...........at least I won't have to spend time making new friends.

Andrew D

Post by Andrew D »

I don't know about the beer, but for an easy, tasty snack, just wrap some endive around some Stilton. Yum.
Reason is valuable only when it performs against the wordless physical background of the universe.

oldr_n_wsr

Post by oldr_n_wsr »

I would rather slaughter the pig and have some bacon.