Trader Joe's

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
ex-khobar Andy

Trader Joe's

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Simpler Times Pilsner is actually not bad. And at $3.99 for a six pack it's bloody brilliant.

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Trader Joe's

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

19 views and no-one's sent yet me a receipt confirming that they bought and loved the product. How can I become a successful social media infuencer (like Olivia Jade) if you guys don't cooperate? We all have to start somewhere. Do I have to move my on line presence to some other platform? I have the looks (obv) and I can always fake sincerity. I should be a natural!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:19 views and no-one's sent yet me a receipt confirming that they bought and loved the product. How can I become a successful social media infuencer (like Olivia Jade) if you guys don't cooperate? We all have to start somewhere. Do I have to move my on line presence to some other platform? I have the looks (obv) and I can always fake sincerity. I should be a natural!
First, you need to talk to people who have a Trader Joe's nearby.  The closest one to me is either 135 miles or so east in Madison WI, or 70 miles west in Rochester MN.  I can go to the Pearl Street Brewery (less than a mile from where I'm seated right now) and get a fresh pint of 'Rubber Mills Pils' in the taproom for $3.50; or a 6-pack or a growler to go for around seven or eight bucks.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:19 views and no-one's sent yet me a receipt confirming that they bought and loved the product. How can I become a successful social media infuencer (like Olivia Jade) if you guys don't cooperate? We all have to start somewhere. Do I have to move my on line presence to some other platform? I have the looks (obv) and I can always fake sincerity. I should be a natural!
You need to peddle hate and violence - then you can rake in millions a year like PewDiePie!

Social media influencers are a key reason I have thrown my hands up and flipped the bird at all the BULLSHIT I was ever fed about how to be a good citizen and live a good life. What a fucking joke.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Ah. I read it as a baffling math question. Simpler x Pilsner. Still can't figure it out....
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

mead?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes TJ's do a mead but I haven't tried it. Are you recommending it, wes?

RayThom

Trader Joe's

Post by RayThom »

”Simpler Times Pilsner: Reassuringly inexpensive.”

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/simpler-t ... ner/94515/
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Thanks for the tip; with 70-degree days here a nice pilsner can fit the day. I don't go to TJ's like I used to, but always browse the wine aisle and see if this bargain is in stock:

wesw

Post by wesw »

simpler x pilsner = mead?

rubato

Post by rubato »

Pilsner is nasty. A watery pseudo-beer. Drink Ale!

The drink of health!

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:ok Mmmmmm....North Coast Old Stock Ale. One of my all-time favorites!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:Pilsner is nasty. A watery pseudo-beer. Drink Ale!

The drink of health!

yrs,
rubato
I'll look for it. Around here Whole Foods have a wide selection of bottled beers. The problem with most American pale ales (and especially IPAs) is that they are, for my taste, way overhopped. Some of them are essentially hop-ade. It's like a kid who dances up and down shouting "Look at me!" - amusing for a little while but wearing, very quickly.

I see that it has ABV of 12%. Frankly that's ridiculous for a beer. Many wines are in the 12% range and even the French greats (Champagne, red burgundies) are maybe 13%.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Edited for clarity:
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
IPAs are way overhyped.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

What's the difference between ale and lager?

Interesting article; I learned a lot from it.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

rubato

Post by rubato »

The ABV for Old Stock Ale varies from year to year from ca 11.5% to 13.5% One of these equals two average ales and should be consumed accordingly. And sometimes, I do.

This is another well-named favorite:

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I like that name.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:The ABV for Old Stock Ale varies from year to year from ca 11.5% to 13.5% One of these equals two average ales and should be consumed accordingly. And sometimes, I do.

This is another well-named favorite:

yrs,
rubato
I saw this in my local International Foods place at $7.99. It's a Quebec beer from Chambly (near Montreal) but I didn't feel like spending $8 to experiment. Later that same day I saw, in Trader Joe's, a dark beer from the same brewery with a very similar description (spicy, 9% ABV) at $5.99 so I decided to give it a try.

Not to my taste - a little toothpasty if you ask me. Very dark without the typical bitterness of dark beers which made me suspicious that it had been darkened by caramel color - legal but I think a dirty trick.

Edited to correct a typo.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Toothpasty? Sorry, I don't detect even a hint of minty freshness. I do like a range of beers from bitter (Mc Menamins Nebraska Bitter and Barn Owl Bitter are both very nice) to more sweet, like this.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Euthymol, to be precise.

And bear in mind I was tasting the TJ's version, not the one you mentioned. The descriptions are similar but the TJ's version is dark. I have a question in to Customer Service at the brewery to see if they use caramel coloring. I suspect they will not answer.