It's OK, the world is back on its axis

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Tiger Woods is leading a major, walking up the 18th fairway. It's like finding Bobby Ewing in the shower: the last few years have just been a dream.

BoSoxGal

Re: It's OK, the world is back on its axis

Post by BoSoxGal »

Not really, since in those years we discovered Tiger was an unrepentant egomaniacal sex addict who exposed his devoted wife to sexually transmitted diseases and betraying his marriage vows utterly, thus destroying his beautiful family and his carefully cultivated image as the clean cut super-achieving boy next door. Oh yeah and then he was revealed as a reckless intoxicated driver with an addiction to pain pills - the latter not a moral failing, but definitely more evidence of a crumbling life.

I’m glad he’s feeling better after spinal fusion surgery, and that he’s getting his golf game back. But he’s no Bobby Ewing and he’ll never be the same Tiger Woods again.

Just a weird coincidence that within the past week I was thinking of the day years ago when I was painting my living room (another dumpy dogs- allowed rental that I worked to fix up) while watching an interview of Tiger on, I think, the Oprah Winfrey show. (2002?) It seemed like he was beloved by pretty nearly all America then. Tiger’s catastrophic fall from grace and the accompanying devastation to his golf game is the stuff of Greek tragedy, and offers comfort to regular folks who have their own litany of life mistakes and disappointments.

eta: Congrats, Tiger! Now you also provide an example of redemption. Enjoy the jacket!

eta: With reflection I’ll add that Tiger has endured problematic parenting and a plethora of racial bias in his sport, so I don’t mean to over harshly judge him - I just have deep distaste for serial philanderers and my knee jerk response is that Tiger invited a lot of his own misfortune by failing to appreciate his blessings. I am glad he is crafting an older and hopefully wiser Tiger from the wreckage.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

You say Tiger and I say Tigger. I think I prefer my Tigger to your Tiger. Tigger might have a little too much enthusiasm and have a springy tail, but at lease he is loyal and doesn’t play an awful boring game.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Not a golf or a Tiger Woods fan but in the big book of celebrity misbehavior he's not more than a footnote.

I just KNOW I could resist temptations like those, women throwing their bodies at me, enormous wealth, fame. Lemme at it! C'mon! Try me.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

IMHO -- Tiger just earned back a little bit of respectability with this deserving win.

OTOH -- I'm hoping Tiger will refuse the gratuitous Freedom Award that my president, Lord "3 Handicap" Dampnut, is dangling in front of him. If Woods doesn't, he will just be reinforcing the public's perception of serial philanderers sticking together.

I sure hope Tiger will do the right thing.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I agree Ray.

rubato

Post by rubato »

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2644 ... ment-award

Ichiro has twice refused an award from the Japanese government, on a similar note.

yrs,
rubato