Personal hygiene

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Personal hygiene

Post by Burning Petard »

I have long been a believer in the social value of frequent bathing. I was heavily propagandized in early adolecence by Dial soap (Aren't you glad you use Dial? Don't you wish everybody did?). Eventually I began using a variety of products and settled on two bath products--Dial and Irish Spring. On the bathroom sink I have a pump container of generic soft soap. I buy my bath soap in multiple bar units, unwrap them and place the bars under the bathroom sink where they can dry out. For somewhat pseudo-scientific reasons, I will use one brand for a while and then switch to the other.

About a year ago I began to rethink this series of choices. Just what is the personal and general consequences of the chemicals in these two brands of skin cleaner? I decided to return to basics. Just plain soap. I found 'Ivory' as the only brand of real soap, no modern industrial detergents, or perfume. In the store I have to really hunt for it. Not much shelf space allowed, only one size, very plain wrapper that does not scream for attention. Actually it seems to say 'go away and leave me here.' Not 'bath size' but a much smaller bar than I have been used to with Dial and Irish Spring.

So I bought five bars, the entire shelf inventory. Paid much less than similar total weight of Dial or Irish Spring. Took them home and placed them unwrapped under the sink. Funny thing has happened. My wife, daughter, grandkids tell me when asked that I don't smell any different lately. Rather, they don't notice any smell at all except for my after shave, which fades away after a few hours.

But here is the really weird thing--my time in the bath or shower has not changed, but the much smaller bar of Ivory lasts longer than the bigger bars of Dial and Irish Spring.

snailgate

Long Run

Re: Personal hygiene

Post by Long Run »

A talow tale if ever one was told.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And a well told tale that suds a lot.

wesw

Post by wesw »

I m an ivory girl myself.

I tried irish spring recently and I just didn t feel like it cleaned well.

plus ivory floats!!!!!

when I was a kid I liked the squeaky clean thing

too much hair now, no squeaking.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:I m an ivory girl myself.
The truth comes out....
Do you normally go by the name "Lola"?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Why am I reminded of this ad for Pears' Soap from the 1880s?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Holy shit, you’re old!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

:lol:

good one, bs gal.....