Bart Starr's number is called one more time

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Bart Starr's number is called one more time

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Bart Starr has gone to that big huddle in the sky.  The legendary Hall of Fame/Super Bowl MVP quarterback, who led the Green Bay Packers during the Lombardi era (including wins in the first two Super Bowls ever played), died earlier today at the age of 85.

If there's an NFL heaven, you know they've got a helluva team....
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Re: Bart Starr's number is called one more time

Post by Joe Guy »

He was one of the greats, but he was always overshadowed by his brother, Ringo.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Joe Guy wrote:He was one of the greats, but he was always overshadowed by his brother, Ringo.
His sister, Blaze, had some great moves when she was a player.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

He is a big part of the reason there are so many Green Bay Packer fans across the country. Another icon of our youth passing.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Yep, very sad. Luckily only they are getting older--I am sure I am not.

On a more serious note, Starr and Lombardi (OK and Unitas) are the reason I got interested in football in the first place; I'll never forget in quarterback sneak in the Ice Bowl to win the championship. He was one of the greats.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote: I'll never forget in quarterback sneak in the Ice Bowl to win the championship.
Idaho's finest, Jerry Kramer, leading the way.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

thanks, Kramer--I had forgotten his name. Football is a team game, and he certainly played a big part there.

Given the conditions, i had honestly thought they would have kicked the field goal for the tie (going into overtime), but Lombardi had enough faith in the team to try and pull this off for the win--and it was successful.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Long Run wrote:
Big RR wrote: I'll never forget in quarterback sneak in the Ice Bowl to win the championship.
Idaho's finest, Jerry Kramer, leading the way.

Oh, yeah.  Hall-of-Famer Jerry Kramer (64) putting a classic old-school block on Jethro Pugh (75), opening the hole for Starr (15) to squirt into the end zone.

And we've all seen this shot of fullback Chuck Mercein (30), behind Starr and the pile with his hands up in the air, which most people see and assume that he is signaling the touchdown.  This is not the case; actually, he is holding his hands clear to indicate that he is in no way attempting to push the pile forward, which could have drawn a penalty for illegally assisting the runner's forward progress and negated the touchdown.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?