And now it's 4-2

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
dales

Re: And now it's 3-2

Post by dales »

I heard that many Canadian fans started a GoFundMe acct. for KD.

I wouldn't let a few malcontent Canadian "fans" define a kind and generous spirit of good sportsmanship which I believe that many Canadians embody.

ETA:
Kevin Durant injury fallout: Raptors fan’s GoFundMe page benefits KD charity

http://www.sfgate.com

A Raptors fan has created a GoFundMe page to help quell some of the criticism that has been directed at fans of the NBA team who cheered when the Warriors’ Kevin Durant ruptured his Achilles in Monday’s Game 5 of the NBA Finals in Toronto.

“On behalf of the level-headed and true fans of Raptor Nation - from Toronto to Vancouver to Iqaluit to St. John’s, and any fans living outside Canada: we wanted to say ‘sorry,’” wrote the organizer, Hamzah Moin of Ontario, Canada.

“We’re sorry that some fans of Raptor Nation at the Scotiabank arena, Jurassic Park, and in some bars/restaurants showing the game, displayed an ugly side of fandom when they cheered on the injury of Kevin Durant.”

The page says the money raised will be given to the Kevin Durant Charity Foundation. Having set a goal of $25,000, more than $20,000 had been donated by 774 people by 7 p.m. Wednesday. The fund was started Tuesday.

Durant was playing for the first time in a month and was off to a great start — 11 points and a trio of 3-pointers — when he suffered the injury in the second quarter. He had to be helped to his feet and to the locker room by teammates and members of the medical staff. While sitting on the court, a number of Raptors fans could be seen and heard applauding and cheering, which infuriated Durant’s teammates and even had the Raptors’ players motioning to the crowd to stop.

The GoFundMe page goes on to say: “Yes, we’re hungry for a championship however true NBA fans would never cheer on a man getting injured or wave goodbye as they limp to the locker-room area.. KD is a player that brings up the game of basketball.”

The Raptors — who have never won an NBA title — take a 3-2 lead on the two-time defending-champion Warriors into Thursday’s Game 6 at Oracle Arena.

“I’d like to at least do my part in turning lemons into lemonade and showing the world how uncrappy we are,” the page creator writes in closing. “Join me in sending our well-wishes to KD as he recovers. He’s put his blood, sweat and tears in this beautiful sport. Let’s give back to something he’s passionate about - helping to enrich the lives of at-risk youth from low-income backgrounds through educational, athletic and social programs through the Kevin Durant Charity Foundation.”

Michael Lerseth is a San Francisco Chronicle assistant sports editor. Email: mlerseth@sfchronicle.com Twitter @MikeLerseth

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Let's hope that those who pushed him into playing insufficiently healed haven't destroyed his career.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

So a Canadian playing for a US team lifts Lord Stanley's Cup. Maybe an American playing for a Canadian team will hoist the NBA trophy. Ain't NAFTA great?

And BTW Hamzah Moin (the guy who set up the crowdfunding page for Durant's charity) is a Muslim name.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

A valiant effort, but one injury too many to overcome... :(
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Considering all, couldn't have been much closer, came right down to the wire.

If I had any illusions about getting any sleep tonight, it sounds like V-E day outside my window, and I'm 20 storeys up.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The team owners hold the trophy rather than the players? Does that happen in any other sport?

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

Congrats Canadians and try to get some sleep, Scooter. :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

RayThom

And now it's 4-2

Post by RayThom »

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:Let's hope that those who pushed him into playing insufficiently healed haven't destroyed his career.
See The Guardian story on this, from Etan Thomas.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Basketball: zzzzzzzzzzz (except when my nephew is on the court). But congratulations to the Raptors, anyway.

Hockey: Congrats Blues, well-played (dammit). Since the Sox appear to be skipping the next championship season, I guess we will see y'all in Miami in February :mrgreen:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Re: And now it's 4-2

Post by BoSoxGal »

Congrats to the Raptors.

I was also secretly happy that the Blues won their first Stanley Cup, much as I love the Bruins.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Re: And now it's 4-2

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown