Congratulations To Our Ladies...

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I caught the last 20 minutes of the match; great stuff (well, for soccer):
Press, Morgan score to lead USWNT past England and into Women's World Cup final

LYON, France -- Without Megan Rapinoe -- the star of the tournament to this point and the charismatic talisman who was missing with a hamstring injury -- the U.S. women Tuesday still found a pair of goals for the third game in a row to beat England 2-1 with a little help from VAR and their goalkeeper.

For the fifth time, the United States will play for the World Cup title. For the first time, it has a chance to win back-to-back titles. :ok

The U.S. women now await the winner of Wednesday's semifinal between the Netherlands and Sweden. The Dutch are the reigning European champions and yet another team from the continent on the rise. The United States beat Sweden in the final game of group play, but that final would again bring up memories of the 2016 Olympics, in which Sweden eliminated the U.S. women in the quarterfinals.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens ... -cup-final

The final will be on Sunday, 11 AM ET on FOX...

I plan to watch...
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

And then they can all be invited -- except for that anti-American, commie, pinko, Megan Rapinoe -- to the White Castle for burger and shakes.

I wonder if that team of ladies is tired of winning yet?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Big RR

Re: Congratulations To Our Ladies...

Post by Big RR »

I'd be interested to see if any team member wanted to go after Trumps tirade against Rapinoe; he showed himself to be the ass he is (any other president (or even sane person) would have ignored it), and they are a fairly close knit team. so it may be one for all and all for one. I'd bet he's hoping they lose Sunday to avoid the embarasment.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I wouldn't have given that penalty which England were awarded. It didn't look like a deliberate attempt to get the opponent with the studs: looked like a legitimate exchange to me. I also would not have given the offside which resulted in the second English 'goal' being disallowed. Good game, could have ended either way with no complaints.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I wouldn't have given that penalty which England were awarded. It didn't look like a deliberate attempt to get the opponent with the studs: looked like a legitimate exchange to me. I also would not have given the offside which resulted in the second English 'goal' being disallowed. Good game, could have ended either way with no complaints.
Come on, we don't need any good losers around here!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Good game, you deserved to win.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I wouldn't have given that penalty which England were awarded. It didn't look like a deliberate attempt to get the opponent with the studs: looked like a legitimate exchange to me. I also would not have given the offside which resulted in the second English 'goal' being disallowed. Good game, could have ended either way with no complaints.
I’ve watched every match our ladies have played, except the first one. This last one we streamed at work and had a group watching it. I’m no soccer fan, but I called that offsides before the ref even raised her arm.

Looking forward to the final!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Guinevere wrote:I’m no soccer fan, but I called that offsides before the ref even raised her arm.

Looking forward to the final!
The ref signaled goal. But, like you, I too called it immediately; "VAR is going to overturn this for offside". VAR did that. Only then did the ref indicate agreement with the FIFA TV fascists.

The penalty probably was a penalty but the ref called it a goal kick. And I agree with the ref; it should have stood as a goal kick and let's get on with the game. But again, bloody FIFA with their tame commentators bleating that "all decisions must be 100% correct" and worshiping at the shrine of VAR (or lose their jobs) decided the game off the field.

So, narrowly, VAR probably got the correct decisions in both cases. But VAR should not have been used for either one. I hate VAR. I agree with goal-line technology to show whether the ball crossed the line 100% - it was controversy over that problem which led to VAR, which is overkill.

Game should have been 2-2 on actually scored goals per the three refs on the field and let both teams try to score the 3rd in regular time, extra-time or go to penalties. Overall, the best team won and I can happily cheer for the USA on Sunday, waving my passport and citizenship certificate. It's been a great competion

Now to spoil it all . . . women's soccer is a bit rubbish except for the national team games. It can be improved by reducing the dimensions of the pitch and the goals and maybe by reducing the time of play to 70-80 minutes. Works for basketball.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

:ok :clap: :ok :clap: :ok :clap: :ok :clap: :ok :clap:
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

And remember, kids, you can't spell 'triumph' without 'trump.'

I hope Lord Dampnut will not disrespect our great American ladies soccer team by inviting them to the White Castle for burgers and fries. However, if our Grifter-in-Chief insists on extending an invite, I pray the ladies will be classy enough to decline the blatantly narcissistic photo-op.

Congrats to the champions.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Great stuff. Margaretta and I enjoyed cheering on the team and rejoiced in the victory.

Holland were crap; one shot on target? Pah! Defense of both teams rather haphazard with some standout last-ditch interventions. O'Hara, Dunn and Lavelle shone for the USA. Tobin Heath lost her nerve in the penalty area after some really useful work (twice). Rapinoe and Morgan were both very ordinary but let's give the Dutch some credit for keeping them at the bumbling level.

Passing accuracy by both teams was dismal for 90% of the game. I've seen a lot worse in the men's version (viz. 2010 World Cup Final).

Overall, a terrific result and a moderately interesting game for neutrals, which I'm not - go USA! (If England can't kick your patoots first).

Oh and I hope they do give the Dump the shoulder-barge.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

rubato

Post by rubato »

Unread postby Lord Jim » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 am
I caught the last 20 minutes of the match; great stuff
Genius! They could punch up the sport by reducing the playing time. Make it more exciting. Like Cricket has done to stave off irrelevance.

They could add an extra hour of beer-drinking before matches to keep the fans in fighting for,

yrs,
rubato

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Fun game! The Dutchie’s strengths seemed to be defense - they were fast and good tacklers - but not quite enough to keep the Americans down for 90 minutes.

Equal Pay! Equal Pay!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote: Genius! They could punch up the sport by reducing the playing time. Make it more exciting. Like Cricket has done to stave off irrelevance.

They could add an extra hour of beer-drinking before matches to keep the fans in fighting for,

yrs,
rubato

Good old Aspy, never fails to disappoint. In a thread celebrating a great victory, he has to bring his own brand of puerile cliched hate to the table.

It was a great match, shown on the BBC over here. Skill sown by both sides, amazing athleticism, and control. Very glad we watched it!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I don't even like to call it 'soccer'. For me it is 'association football' to distinguish if from American football, where they have even imported 'soccer' players to do the important kicking--clearly indicating 'soccer' is the sport that actually requires foot skill with the ball.

Women's Football should get equal pay. Perhaps that will happen when men's beach volley ball and men's gymnastics gets tv audiences
of a size similar to the women's version of those sports.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I didn't watch the final but I saw most of one of the semis and bits of other games. I watch a lot more tennis these days. An analogy with tennis: although it's obvious that any male player ranked in the top couple of hundred would beat any woman, including Serena at her best, I still enjoy many women's matches. That is when they are both trying, roughly evenly matched, and the result isn't clear from the first few games. It's the effort and the uncertainty, especially if you have something invested (like nationality) in one of the players. I don't think that the casual fan could tell the difference between a men's and a women's football match if the TV screen was a little burred and you couldn't see the players clearly.

Reducing the playing time (MajGen suggests 70-80 minutes; not sure what Rube has in mind) would make no difference. Cricket's one day game has succeeded because it changed some of the rules along with the timing. Football could change too and it would be a different game: for example get rid of the offside rule, have kick-ins rather than throw-ins when the ball goes out; and have a sin bin for offenses such as embellishment (there is too much playing for the penalty in both the men's and the women's game, at least at international level). I enjoy the ice hockey but I must admit I'm not a fan of the players being on for 45 second stretches. When I played as a kid (I lived in Montreal from 8 to 11 - I think it was the law that kids played hockey) there was none of that: if you played you played the whole game. I was a goalie and I still have many of my own teeth.)

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BP--doesn't the term "soccer" derive from "association football" (I thought that is where the "soc" came from in the word).

Andy--I don't watch enough soccer (or whatever you choose to call it) to comment on the rules, but the 90 + minute game length doesn't seem too long to me.

As for hockey, while I understand your point, continually rotating fresh players in and out in new lines has made the game a different, but not uninteresting, one. Indeed, the game moves much more quickly with the stronger offense and defense (and the importance of defense is elevated yo a higher level IMHO).

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:I don't even like to call it 'soccer'. For me it is 'association football' to distinguish if from American football, where they have even imported 'soccer' players to do the important kicking--clearly indicating 'soccer' is the sport that actually requires foot skill with the ball.

Women's Football should get equal pay. Perhaps that will happen when men's beach volley ball and men's gymnastics gets tv audiences
of a size similar to the women's version of those sports.

snailgate
Actually, in football (or more properly, American football), there are only four circumstances under the rules in which the ball is allowed to be kicked, and the running game with its hand-offs and blocking is a mere shadow of its former self.  By rights, the game as it is played today should probably be called "throw-ball".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Megan Rapinoe Won. So Did America.

JULY 8, 2019 / JOHN PAVLOVITZ

Megan Rapinoe won.

She won before the trophies and the adulation and the triumphant victory lap.

She won before ever standing with arms outstretched as her teammates exploded with combustible joy around her.

She won before sending yet another blinding meteor shot from her right foot, past another determined yet unprepared goaltender, into another massive web of netting.

She won before standing steely-eyed with her teammates at her back, while the world watched as she stared down her opponent and history.

She won before after taking the field for another World Cup Championship game.

Megan Rapinoe won because she showed us what we’re made of.

She reminded us what it looks like when a human being refuses to bow to unearned power.

She showed us the unflinching response to prejudice that good people are supposed to have.

She gave us a refresher course in what an authentic life looks like, in days when it can be easy to forget.

She reminded us that we don’t need to apologize for wanting a table where everyone has a place, and demanding it be built.

She let us know that leaders lead by their willingness to hold their convictions more tightly than the reception those convictions receive.

Over and over Megan Rapinoe faced adversaries.
She would not be moved.
She would not be shouted down.
She would not be tone policed into silence.
She refused to be bullied.
She persisted boldly.
She was undefeated.

Megan sent a message to every one of us, that we make the nation we wish to see.
We don’t wait for anyone to give it to us.
We don’t ask for permission to be free.
We define ourselves by the choices we make to speak or to be silent, to fight or relent, to stand or wither.

Megan Rapinoe is incapable of withering.
Good people always are.
America is.

The dividers don’t understand what Megan understands: America is greater than small people with big fears.
It is more than fireworks and parades, and one showy day of dog-and-pony patriotism.
It is a daily battle to make sure that “the idea of America,” as Bono has described it—does not die in the country of America.
It is in making sure that we will not be defined by the wall builders or the fear-peddlers or the fear-mongers.
Our legacy will be made by the lovers and the helpers and the healers and the builders and the uniters and the damn-givers.

The results of the game, as heart-stirring as they were, were inconsequential. The scoreboard was irrelevant. That wasn’t where the true win was recorded.

It was recorded in real time, watching a group of powerful, talented, diverse women, who woke us up again to what happens when good people show up and stand up and do something beautiful together.

Megan Rapinoe won.
Her team of extraordinary women won.
My children won.
Exhausted, tired, grieving people won.
The bullied and the invisible won.
The real lovers of freedom won.
Liberty won.
America won.

And it all happened outside the field of play.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown