Not Looking Forward To Lunch Today...

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Scooter

Re: Not Looking Forward To Lunch Today...

Post by Scooter »

Somewhat misleading. There are relatively few natural sources of Vitamin D. Among animal products the best sources are fatty fishes like salmon, tuna, sardines, etc., that a lot of meat eaters won't eat. Dairy products are a good source because they have been fortified with Vitamin D. But so have soy and almond milks, orange juice, cereals and plant oil margarines. Some varieties of mushroom are very high in Vitamin D. This one really shouldn't be any more of a problem for vegans than for meat eaters who don't eat fish, there are ample fortified sources.

Iodine is another one that was seen as necessary to add to salt because natural sources are primarily from the ocean - several types of fish and seafood, and seaweed, the best of all. The only other good plant sources are lima beans and prunes. Dairy products and eggs are only good sources of iodine because it is added to cattle and chicken feed.

Omega-3 - again, only natural source is fatty fish, which a lot of meat eaters don't eat.

Getting enough calcium is challenging for anyone who doesn't consume dairy products, the best sources. The only other animal sources are some fatty fish. There are a lot of plant based sources - beans, lentils, leafy green vegetables, rhubarb, edamame. There are several fortified sources - soy milk, orange juice, tofu.

B12 has no natural plant sources, but a couple of servings of fortified soy products or beverages (also rice and almond beverages) will provide the daily requirement.

There are also supplements if one's diet is deficient in nutrients. In Canada, Vitamin D supplements are recommended for everyone over 50 and anyone else who don't get enough through diet. Calcium and B12 supplements are often recommended.

This:
And data from the US shows that more than one in four children lacks calcium, magnesium or vitamin A, and more than one in two children are deficient in vitamin D and E.
says that they buried the lead. Well over half of U.S. children have multiple nutrient deficiencies, the author citing the overconsumption of processed, nutrient-poor products as a "major factor".

But clearly the 2.5% of the population that is vegan are the problem

The takeaway would be the importance of a varied diet, for everyone.

Do you know what vegans have in common with almost everyone else? A lot of people who change their diets for whatever reason don't research the effect on nutrient intake, and don't learn how to incorporate enough different foods to meet their nutritional requirements.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Michael Pollan said it best:

Eat food.
Not too much.
Mostly plants.

To that I add, Mostly local.

Shop at your local farmers market or fish market or farm stands. It’s good for you, good for your local economy, and good for the environment.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

PMS Princess

Post by PMS Princess »

This recipe is very easy, very filling, and tastes wonderful! I'm not vegetarian but ran across this while trying to find recipes with coconut flour.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23626 ... ot-souffle

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Paleo Carrot Souffle. Does this have a "tastes like" quality about it, or does it stand alone?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

PMS Princess

Post by PMS Princess »

You can substitute sweet potatoes. The flavor is very close to pumpkin pie and the texture is a little eggier. I was completely shocked at how well it came out. So far it's been a hit with family and friends!

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote:
"veganism" is the latest dietary fad dating to "macrobiotic" which disappeared in its most pure for as its adherents died off of malnutrition.

yrs,
rubato
Ah the font of all ignorance never disappoints...
The practice can be traced to Indus Valley Civilization in 3300–1300 BCE in the Indian subcontinent, particularly in northern and western India and in Pakistan. Early vegetarians included Indian philosophers such as Mahavira and Acharya Kundakunda, the Tamil poet Valluvar, the Indian emperors Chandragupta Maurya and Ashoka; Greek philosophers such as Empedocles, Theophrastus, Plutarch, Plotinus, and Porphyry; and the Roman poet Ovid and the playwright Seneca the Younger.

Donald Watson coined the term vegan in 1944 when he co-founded the Vegan Society in England. At first he used it to mean "non-dairy vegetarian", but from 1951 the Society defined it as "the doctrine that man should live without exploiting animals". Interest in veganism increased in the 2010s,especially in the latter half.

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

My 17 year old granddaughter announced that she was a vegetarian a while back. It lasted until diner time when steak was served. It was also pointed out that she couldn't be a vegan as her beloved Hyundai Sonata has leather upholstery.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Gob wrote:
rubato wrote:
"veganism" is the latest dietary fad dating to "macrobiotic" which disappeared in its most pure for as its adherents died off of malnutrition.

yrs,
rubato
Ah the font of all ignorance never disappoints...
The practice can be traced to Indus Valley Civilization in 3300–1300 BCE in the Indian subcontinent, particularly in northern and western India and in Pakistan. Early vegetarians included Indian philosophers such as Mahavira and Acharya Kundakunda, the Tamil poet Valluvar, the Indian emperors Chandragupta Maurya and Ashoka; Greek philosophers such as Empedocles, Theophrastus, Plutarch, Plotinus, and Porphyry; and the Roman poet Ovid and the playwright Seneca the Younger.

Donald Watson coined the term vegan in 1944 when he co-founded the Vegan Society in England. At first he used it to mean "non-dairy vegetarian", but from 1951 the Society defined it as "the doctrine that man should live without exploiting animals". Interest in veganism increased in the 2010s,especially in the latter half.

God you are stupid. Veganism and Vegetarianism are not the same. Most of my family have been Ovo-lactose vegetarians for 3 generations except when they lived in Ethiopia where it would have been too difficult to maintain. It is part of the reason that they (Seventh-Day-Adventists) are one of the two longest-lived groups on earth.

An excellent source of B12 is yeast (which was often used to supplement my relatives diet). Yeast is an animal and thus verboten to Vegans.

The idea that animals used for food or clothing are being "exploited" is superstitious nonsense. Religious idiocy.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:
An excellent source of B12 is yeast (which was often used to supplement my relatives diet). Yeast is an animal and thus verboten to Vegans.

yrs,
rubato
Since when is yeast an animal? Yeasts are nowadays classified as part of the Fungi kingdom. Linnaeus didn't know about yeast - even though van Leeuwenhoek had seen them - and it wasn't until the 19th Century that they were classified as fungi. They still are. Fungi and Animalia are separate kingdoms.

I don't believe that vegans I have known eschewed bread, for example. Most vegans apparently do not have a problem with it.

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote:

God you are stupid. Veganism and Vegetarianism are not the same.
[

No one said they were...

Most of my family have been Ovo-lactose vegetarians for 3 generations except when they lived in Ethiopia where it would have been too difficult to maintain. It is part of the reason that they (Seventh-Day-Adventists) are one of the two longest-lived groups on earth.
Yet still you ridicule the practice Asperger's boy, what a self-hating fool you are.

LOL!! Another display of astounding ignorance;
Is Yeast Vegan-Friendly? Yeast is a single-celled organism that's classified as a fungus, which makes it 100 percent vegan friendly. ... If you can't bring yourself to eat yeast, well then, you may as well declare yourself a Level 5 Vegan and fast for the rest of your (not very long) life.2 Feb 2012
The idea that animals used for food or clothing are being "exploited" is superstitious nonsense. Religious idiocy.

yrs,
rubato
Really? There's that unavoidable lack of empathy which is characteristic of Asperger's, shining through.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Since when is yeast an animal? Yeasts are nowadays classified as part of the Fungi kingdom. Linnaeus didn't know about yeast - even though van Leeuwenhoek had seen them - and it wasn't until the 19th Century that they were classified as fungi. They still are. Fungi and Animalia are separate kingdoms.

I don't believe that vegans I have known eschewed bread, for example. Most vegans apparently do not have a problem with it.
Consider the source.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I remember traveling through Texas with my parents when I was a child and my father pointing out the yeast herds grazing in the midday sun on the ranches. 'Them yeast are verboten to vegans', my daddy used to say....

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

There's something about that story that just doesn't ring true to me...

I have a hard time believing your family ever took a drive through Texas...
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Only once. We were headed for Kansas but my father made a wrong turn at Oklahoma.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:There's something about that story that just doesn't ring true to me...
I have a hard time believing your family ever took a drive through Texas...
Good call. JG was just trying to get a rise out of you.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

A picture from my cousin's Marmite farm. Git your vitamin B12 here!!!! Ready for harvest in a few days.

Gob

Post by Gob »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:A picture from my cousin's Marmite farm. Git your vitamin B12 here!!!! Ready for harvest in a few days.

I want to live there!!!

Or here...

Cheese & Marmite Pasty

Handmade Cheese and Marmite Pasties (vegetarian)

As the oldest bakery in Cornwall, we’ve taken the time to perfect our handmade, vegetarian Cheese and Marmite pasties. Warrens Bakery, the oldest and the best.

https://warrensbakery.co.uk/product/che ... ite-pasty/

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Please don't harvest any marmite for me.

rubato

Post by rubato »

I stand corrected, yeast is a fungi. I was using the old "animal, vegetable, mineral" categories. Beer is back on the menu for vegans!

yrs,
rubato